Figuring out who is catholic on the NI soccer panel

Started by seafoid, May 26, 2016, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Rossfan on June 15, 2016, 11:33:33 AM
The term "Ulsterman" has usually been used as an exclusivist  term to imply Protestant Unionist.
You never hear it used to describe anyone from Donegal/Cavan/Monaghan or Nationalists from the 6 Cos.

Certainly the Ulster Ian Paisley used to talk about was the 6 counties and the SUFTUM is an Ulster Rugby term which is for the 9 counties as is the Ulster Rugby fleg;

Maybe its time the term and meaning of Ulster needs to be claimed back as a neutral or common ground?

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 15, 2016, 11:53:32 AM
The term "Ulsterman" has usually been used as an exclusivist  term to imply Protestant Unionist.
You never hear it used to describe anyone from Donegal/Cavan/Monaghan or Nationalists from the 6 Cos.

But they still play in the Ulster Championship and they are from Ulster, so one would assume that if they are men and from Ulster they would in fact be Ulster men? again a lot of people getting their knickers in a twist over something that isn't a problem for logic thinking people ...

Wouldn't be uncommon for you to be named as a Connacht  man... move on, nothing to see here  ::)
Rossman is correct. The term Ulsterman is used mainly but not exclusively by local media to denote someone who is from here as opposed to the 26 counties, especially by reporters who can say the word Irish. I wouldn't use the term to describe myself, that is a generational thing but neither would I see it as a term of abuse. and maybe Johnny is right lets reclaim it.

Hardy

They could remove all provincial ambiguity and sing Stand Up For The Irishmen.

SUFTI.

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on June 15, 2016, 12:06:50 PM
They could remove all provincial ambiguity and sing Stand Up For The Irishmen.

SUFTI.

Stand up for themmuns?

SUFTHEMMUNS
MWWSI 2017

general_lee

The term ulstermen is used to describe ulster counties all the time. It is time though that unionists were relieved of their perceived ownership of the term

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

stew

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 15, 2016, 11:57:32 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 15, 2016, 11:53:32 AM

But they still play in the Ulster Championship and they are from Ulster, so one would assume that if they are men and from Ulster they would in fact be Ulster men? again a lot of people getting their knickers in a twist over something that isn't a problem for logic thinking people ...

Wouldn't be uncommon for you to be named as a Connacht  man... move on, nothing to see here  ::)
Rossman is correct. The term Ulsterman is used mainly but not exclusively by local media to denote someone who is from here as opposed to the 26 counties, especially by reporters who can say the word Irish. I wouldn't use the term to describe myself, that is a generational thing but neither would I see it as a term of abuse. and maybe Johnny is right lets reclaim it.

The irony is that people from Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan can often be referred to as 'nordies', when it is probably more exclusive to people from the 6C. Ulster should be reclaimed from unionism, I agree.

BennyCake

The OP I commented on said "Ulstermen", which technically NI fans are, but as others have said, Ulster includes 9 counties. When the Ireland fans sang SUFTUM, that also technically includes lots of fans supporting the Republic (even if they don't refer to themselves as 'Ulstermen').

I think the problem lies that unionism have wrongly claimed the term Ulster for themselves, as mentioned earlier. NI fans also shout "Ulster" after their song 'We're not Brazil...' which again is technically wrong.

So anyway, that's the end of that.

rosnarun

LADS calm down
Michael o neills team represent the Irish Football Association(IFA)  and the Football Association of Ireland (FAI)'s representative team are led by Martin Oneill
Neither team represent Ireland, eire nothern ireland,Norlin Airlann,Tuaisceart Éireann, the free state nor the  6 counties nor  Ulster  nor any subset there of .
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on June 15, 2016, 02:50:11 PM
The OP I commented on said "Ulstermen", which technically NI fans are, but as others have said, Ulster includes 9 counties. When the Ireland fans sang SUFTUM, that also technically includes lots of fans supporting the Republic (even if they don't refer to themselves as 'Ulstermen').

I think the problem lies that unionism have wrongly claimed the term Ulster for themselves, as mentioned earlier. NI fans also shout "Ulster" after their song 'We're not Brazil...' which again is technically wrong.

So anyway, that's the end of that.
Again knickers in a twist ... technically they are from Ulster as is Tommy Bowe who plays for Ulster and is from the south?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fuzzman

Do the Norn Iron football fans try to use the Ulster term as a means of not having to say the word Ireland or Irish?
They often go to great lengths to say they are British and not Irish yet their soccer association is very clearly the Irish Football Association not the Northern Irish (or Ulster)and if you look at their crest it looks very Irish with Shamrocks on it.

Their identity is always one of confusion with the national anthem a prime example of that and so the use of the term Ulster adds to this confusion.

BennyCake

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 15, 2016, 03:31:05 PM
Do the Norn Iron football fans try to use the Ulster term as a means of not having to say the word Ireland or Irish?
They often go to great lengths to say they are British and not Irish yet their soccer association is very clearly the Irish Football Association not the Northern Irish (or Ulster)and if you look at their crest it looks very Irish with Shamrocks on it.

Their identity is always one of confusion with the national anthem a prime example of that and so the use of the term Ulster adds to this confusion.

Is it any wonder Vincent Kompany is confused?  ;D