Figuring out who is catholic on the NI soccer panel

Started by seafoid, May 26, 2016, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No wides

Quote from: Hardy on June 03, 2016, 11:07:48 AM
Quote from: No wides on June 03, 2016, 10:17:00 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2016, 03:09:46 AM
I have seen a few interviews with players in magazines and they often say "it''s great to unite the country", "it's great to play for the country". Do unionists think of NI as a country ?

Most unionists / loyalists don't think they just blindly follow the bigotry that their politicians direct.

Excellent! A self-referential statement on bigotry. I'm reminded of the Mayo fella in London who's going to vote for Brexit because there are too many immigrants in London.

It is a statement of fact but you would know a lot about the problems in the occupied 6.

Hardy

Geography is wisdom. OK ...

Meanwhile let's get back to your entertaining game.

"Nobody goes there anymore - it's too crowded".

Your turn.

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 03, 2016, 07:53:17 AM
Again this is just you being a dick..... Its n.i. A country/state or part of the UK do Scottish people think Scotland is a country? Or the Welsh think Wales is a country??

Mliltown Row, are you calling someone a dick for not imagining that NI is a country, when everyone from James Craig to the British government think it a "province". I think you are losing perspective here.

IMHO this reference to a country is one of the clearest signs that the IFA are in no sense attempting to reach beyond the unionist community.

Most unionists / loyalists don't think they just blindly follow the bigotry that their politicians direct.

Unionists don't reflect much on their position, their sordid sectarian colonisation project is not justifiable and so they can only resort to the repetition of nonsense, which they are very good at.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

general_lee

Can people not look beyond the politics and just see it as another team to support at the euros?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on June 03, 2016, 11:24:53 AM
Again this is just you being a dick..... Its n.i. A country/state or part of the UK do Scottish people think Scotland is a country? Or the Welsh think Wales is a country??

Mliltown Row, are you calling someone a dick for not imagining that NI is a country, when everyone from James Craig to the British government think it a "province". I think you are losing perspective here.

IMHO this reference to a country is one of the clearest signs that the IFA are in no sense attempting to reach beyond the unionist community.

Unionists don't reflect much on their position, their sordid sectarian colonisation project is not justifiable and so they can only resort to the repetition of nonsense, which they are very good at.

In footballing terms and in a lot of sports its recognised as a country is it not? we are dealing with sport here nothing else but like most eejits here they want to bring politics into sport.... the players just want to play and that's their platform to improver their standing in whatever sport they play in, if its a professional sport then it actually helps them earn more money...

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

T Fearon

The fallacy up here is that unionists are deluded Irish people.They're not,they're emotionally and in every other way British,the same way as nationalists are emotionally and in every other way "Irish".When both communities open their eyes and see that neither British or Irish govts or people see them as their own kin then both will come together under a new N Irish identity bereft of superfluous divisive British Unionism or Irish nationalism.

MoChara

Quote from: T Fearon on June 03, 2016, 01:48:43 PM
The fallacy up here is that unionists are deluded Irish people.They're not,they're emotionally and in every other way British,the same way as nationalists are emotionally and in every other way "Irish".When both communities open their eyes and see that neither British or Irish govts or people see them as their own kin then both will come together under a new N Irish identity bereft of superfluous divisive British Unionism or Irish nationalism.

Why do you seem to think we need someone else's permission to be Irish, British or whatever? I'm Irish it doesn't matter if someone 50 miles down the road doesn't consider me so that doesn't change the fact.

T Fearon

It does not bode well for your treatment by those people if they dont consider you to be of them,does it?

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 03, 2016, 01:48:32 PM
In footballing terms and in a lot of sports its recognised as a country is it not? we are dealing with sport here nothing else but like most eejits here they want to bring politics into sport.... the players just want to play and that's their platform to improver their standing in whatever sport they play in, if its a professional sport then it actually helps them earn more money...

In most responsible sports it is not.

The IFA could take an approach of making the best of a bad lot, and take a sporting approach by talking of supporting the team. But all this shite about anthems and fallacious claims of being a country are coat trailing, pure and simple.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on June 03, 2016, 01:48:43 PM
When Armagh won Sam did anyone turn away because they were foreign ?

T Fearon

Seafoid the criticism of the Northern style in the noughties (which was no worse than Meath in the late 80s) and the puke football label illustrates my point.Subconsciously there was an element of what do you expect? They are aliens after all,among the southern brethern as regards Northern teams winning All Irelands.

OgraAnDun

Donegal also got that criticism, and it is a county of the Free State.

michaelg

Quote from: armaghniac on June 03, 2016, 11:24:53 AM

I know you have made a recent post about sectarianism not being a two way street or some other such nonsense, but you are one of the most sectarian and bigoted individuals that I have ever encountered. Every post you make is loaded with invective and you seem to have a deep-seated hatred for everything related to the protestant / unionist community. Do you actually know or like any protestant / unionist people? 

MoChara

Quote from: T Fearon on June 03, 2016, 02:13:58 PM
It does not bode well for your treatment by those people if they dont consider you to be of them,does it?

I'm one of those people so the argument doesn't work, I've never been treated any less of an Irish man down South, and I'd be down very regularly.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on June 03, 2016, 04:20:24 PM
Seafoid the criticism of the Northern style in the noughties (which was no worse than Meath in the late 80s) and the puke football label illustrates my point.Subconsciously there was an element of what do you expect? They are aliens after all,among the southern brethern as regards Northern teams winning All Irelands.
Tony the Dubs get criticism now and I wouldn't take Spillane seriously.
Down did a huge job for Ireland in 1960 and it wasn't just for beating Kerry. #dare to dream