Figuring out who is catholic on the NI soccer panel

Started by seafoid, May 26, 2016, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

You and Enda have one thing in common anyway.
2 if you include freebies to events etc ;D

Milltown the "South" never dumped the North.
It never had it in the first place ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on June 02, 2016, 04:00:42 PM
In Portadown? True things have changed immensely.In my youth I had to take to my heels on a few occasions to avoid a beating.I think people have seen generally the stupidity of sectarianism and how wealthy classes (which always existed on both sides) at best dont care or at worst used them.

All it takes is another Drumcree standoff and we'll see if it's changed much!

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on June 02, 2016, 04:49:39 PM
The people of the south have not had the same life experiences,particularly of the older generation of the North.There is no real empathy, as a result of 100 years of partition,when we effectively went our separate ways.There isnt even any real desire for unity apart from diehards and those who just want to wind up the prods.Bertie Ahern aspires to be a good neighbour,Enda talks about North and South,not the island as one entity.

Multiple polls in the 26 counties indicate a wish for unity. Almost nobody there wishes to wind up the Prods, although some wish to pander to them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

OgraAnDun

Quote from: T Fearon on June 02, 2016, 04:49:39 PM
The people of the south have not had the same life experiences,particularly of the older generation of the North.There is no real empathy, as a result of 100 years of partition,when we effectively went our separate ways.There isnt even any real desire for unity apart from diehards and those who just want to wind up the prods.Bertie Ahern aspires to be a good neighbour,Enda talks about North and South,not the island as one entity.

Tony, have you ever lived in the south?

T Fearon

No.But I've spent a lot of time there,in practically every county.The difference to the North is discernible,sadly you get the feeling you are in a different country.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: T Fearon on June 02, 2016, 07:35:54 PM
No.But I've spent a lot of time there,in practically every county.The difference to the North is discernible,sadly you get the feeling you are in a different country.

Well I do Tony. I've lived with people from Monaghan, Wexford, Kildare, Roscommon etc, and I have found absolutely feck all difference in their attitudes, opinions and beliefs than the people I grew up with in Down.

T Fearon

On a normal day to day issues you could find common ground with any nationality,concern about health,liking for sunshine,similar foods,sport etc.Moreso if living together means shared interest in the upkeep of an abode,or sustaining an intimate relationship.But that does not alter the fact that northerners and southerners have little in common in terms of outlook (how could they when they've led separate lives?).Same applies to Northerners and English people too.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: T Fearon on June 02, 2016, 07:45:21 PM
On a normal day to day issues you could find common ground with any nationality,concern about health,liking for sunshine,similar foods,sport etc.Moreso if living together means shared interest in the upkeep of an abode,or sustaining an intimate relationship.But that does not alter the fact that northerners and southerners have little in common in terms of outlook (how could they when they've led separate lives?).Same applies to Northerners and English people too.

Absolute rubbish. I've been placed randomly with people through college accommodation and the housing crisis where we could be worlds apart on a lot of issues. This idea that you have been propagating over the last few months about a "Northern Ireland identity" is nonsense, we are of the same blood, attitudes, culture, sport, religion (mostly) etc. The same left/right divides exist, the same differing shades of green (strength of nationalism). There may be a certain ignorance among some of the populace as regards the situation in the north, but this absurd notion that I am somehow different to another person living in Carlingford, Carrickmacross, Kenmare or Cork is either a great wind up for you, or a bitterness that the south is now a modern and liberal state - which the O6 would be if the likes of the DUP were not holding it back.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on June 02, 2016, 07:45:21 PM
Middle class Dubs and cork farmers have very different outlooks
There is no relevant difference between Northern and Southern Irish people. Culturally we are the same.

T Fearon

If that's the case why did the South's Taoiseach,while trying to persuade Irish diaspora in England last weekend to vote stay,say a Brexit would have a devastating effect on "Ireland and the North?" Does this not indicate that the leader of the south even thinks the North is a different place from "Ireland".Sharing interests and concerns with fellow students does not mean you are one and the same.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: T Fearon on June 02, 2016, 08:13:19 PM
If that's the case why did the South's Taoiseach,while trying to persuade Irish diaspora in England last weekend to vote stay,say a Brexit would have a devastating effect on "Ireland and the North?" Does this not indicate that the leader of the south even thinks the North is a different place from "Ireland".Sharing interests and concerns with fellow students does not mean you are one and the same.

Admittedly Fine Gael and their diehard supporters are different and are a disgrace to Ireland and the men and women who died to allow FG to even exist. However you can't just pass over the rest of the point like that. Thankfully Tony, I have more in common with the average young UUP supporter in Banbridge than I do with an ultra-conservative nutcase like yourself.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on June 02, 2016, 08:13:19 PM
It means there are 2 economies. But nothing to do with the cultural make up of the people.

T Fearon

Bertie Ahern addressing a largely nationalist audience in Newry late last year stressed he was there as a neighbour.So don't blame it all on FG.At the end of the day Norrherners of all hues have more in common with each other than they will ever have with people in England or the South.I would also agree with Michael Mc Dowell who said that people in the South have more in common with people in Britain than they have with Northerners.

Main Street

It's  as bad as Goodwin's Law, the Fearon Law,
That's the time you know a thread is totally fcked when
Tony attempts to turn it  into getting attention about his current angst.
No thread is immune to this threat.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.