Figuring out who is catholic on the NI soccer panel

Started by seafoid, May 26, 2016, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

I can only count 5 definitely although I don't know anything about the players not actually born here.It is rubbish to think NI supporters come from deprived backgrounds.Blockbookers have the wherewithal to buy tickets unlike those from deprived areas.

T Fearon

I see Peter Mc Parland,veteran of 1958 World Cup,who is well into his eighties,and a Newry catholic,complaining in the paper today about "the Republic nicking our players!" ::)

ONeill

Do they go to Mass though? We need to know this.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Bigotry is highly correlated with poverty and economic insecurity.
Loyalists are badly educated compared to nationalists and the sort of jobs available to them reflect this.  Working class beneficiaries of unjust systems who lose their privileges tend to have very high levels of resentment. Trump in the States feeds off this in the South .

ned

Quote from: T Fearon on May 29, 2016, 07:24:35 AM
I can only count 5 definitely although I don't know anything about the players not actually born here.It is rubbish to think NI supporters come from deprived backgrounds.Blockbookers have the wherewithal to buy tickets unlike those from deprived areas.

Assumptions have to be made but Josh BRENDAN Magennis and Gareth GERALD McAuley may or may not be?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on May 29, 2016, 10:11:00 AM
Loyalists are badly educated compared to nationalists and the sort of jobs available to them reflect this.  Working class beneficiaries of unjust systems who lose their privileges tend to have very high levels of resentment. Trump in the States feeds off this in the South .

Are you seriously on the wind-up?? Have you been to Belfast?? I worked in higher education in Belfast and beyond for 12 years, 7 years in West Belfast on both sides as such, I didn't see a difference in the educational standards  while working with 16 year olds who just left school... There was resentment by both.... Each group looking to pull moves and beat the system.... You seriously are deluded
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 29, 2016, 10:25:26 AM

Are you seriously on the wind-up?? Have you been to Belfast?? I worked in higher education in Belfast and beyond for 12 years, 7 years in West Belfast on both sides as such, I didn't see a difference in the educational standards  while working with 16 year olds who just left school... There was resentment by both.... Each group looking to pull moves and beat the system.... You seriously are deluded
So are results for Shankill on a par with those for nationalist areas?
Are loyalist kids going to Queens in the same numbers as working class nationalists ?
Answers on a postcard please

T Fearon

Seafoid is like many from the South,who haven't got a clue about the complexities of life in the North.Bigotry is fairly prominent among all social classes,and on both sides,all of whom are insecure and perceive themselves to be threatened if not oppressed by "the other side". He also laughingly thinks that as the Tories curb public spending ,unionists will decide for economic reasons that they'd be better off in a United Ireland and magic pots of money will appear.He doesn't realise the powerful emotional pull of unionism and nationalism,which is immune always to economic and all other objective rational arguments.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on May 29, 2016, 10:28:48 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 29, 2016, 10:25:26 AM

So are results for Shankill on a par with those for nationalist areas?
Are loyalist kids going to Queens in the same numbers as working class nationalists ?
Answers on a postcard please

So did the taigs produce more bigots when they didn't do well at school and couldn't afford to go to queens???
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Don't think there is any evidence out there to back up that claim Seafoid
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

seafoid

This is one of the biggest problems in NI I would say . And the DUP is not interested.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-26855040

Poorer Protestant boys in Northern Ireland are seriously underachieving at school according to a new report.
Only Roma and Traveller children are getting poorer results, according to the study by the Community Relations Council.
However, the figures show that 76% of Catholic girls from better off backgrounds are among the highest achievers.
Girls from this background are beaten only by Chinese girls in the UK table.
The study by the Community Relations Council has compared all ethnic groups across the UK using five good GCSE grades as the measure of success.
The report found that just over half of Northern Ireland's Protestant boys who do not get free schools meals achieve five GCSEs.
Dr Paul Nolan, the academic who carried out the research, said there would be long-term consequences if action was not taken.
"They are being locked out of employment. Even if we get investment into places like east Belfast, these kids will not be able to get jobs because they won't have the qualifications," he said.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on May 29, 2016, 10:48:44 AM

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-26855040

Poorer Protestant boys in Northern Ireland are seriously underachieving at school according to a new report.
Only Roma and Traveller children are getting poorer results, according to the study by the Community Relations Council.
However, the figures show that 76% of Catholic girls from better off backgrounds are among the highest achievers.
Girls from this background are beaten only by Chinese girls in the UK table.
The study by the Community Relations Council has compared all ethnic groups across the UK using five good GCSE grades as the measure of success.
The report found that just over half of Northern Ireland's Protestant boys who do not get free schools meals achieve five GCSEs.
Dr Paul Nolan, the academic who carried out the research, said there would be long-term consequences if action was not taken.
"They are being locked out of employment. Even if we get investment into places like east Belfast, these kids will not be able to get jobs because they won't have the qualifications," he said.

Seafoid again having worked in higher education for a number of years, and my direct job was trying to get lads an apprenticeship I did not see any difference in either the Shankill or the Falls... the vast majority of these lads went back into the system because they were not motivated to get a job due to the long term unemployment in their families and environment, coupled with alcohol and drug abuse from an early age this was rife among prods and taigs ..... you had around 3 or 4 kids that would have stayed the full term in getting an apprenticeship and maintaining that job, their ability to get essential skills in maths and English was very very questionable to be brutally honest, this is were facts and stats don't actually stand up... again I seen this first hand..... you didn't and pulling up stats wont change that view

armaghniac

There is no doubt that there is problem with education of Protestant youths and there us also no doubt that education is no cure for bigotry, look at McCausland or Allister.

The point here us the people with right on their side are happy to give up any principles while those promoting sectarianism stick to their odious philosophy.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

MR thanks for your insight and obviously you saw situations involving individuals with the drive required. But loyalist education is a system issue. NI Protestant political parties are bourgeois parties who can't be arsed dealing with working class problems. Paisley secured the support of working people but he never thought about how to support them coherently. As long as loyalist education is substandard the NI economy will suffer. And Windsor Park will not be a pleasant experience.