Brexit: Stop border controls petition

Started by snatter, May 25, 2016, 05:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: yellowcard on May 31, 2016, 11:14:31 PM
Based on bookies odds the current likelihood of a vote to leave is 22% as opposed to 78% to stay. Meaning that it's not very likely that there will be a Brexit unless the stay side monumentally mess up in the remaining few weeks of the campaign.

Polls know fvck all....this will be close

muppet

MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on June 04, 2016, 02:31:27 PM
That reminds me of this classic scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGscoaUWW2M

nah, you are just paying homage to my posting this link last week in the newspapers thread ;)

Nonetheless, with such a set of influential supporters, you have to imagine that even if they somehow managed to pass this that there would be huge public support for a Swiss/Norway style strong links with the EU.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on June 04, 2016, 02:40:08 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 04, 2016, 02:31:27 PM
That reminds me of this classic scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGscoaUWW2M

nah, you are just paying homage to my posting this link last week in the newspapers thread ;)

Nonetheless, with such a set of influential supporters, you have to imagine that even if they somehow managed to pass this that there would be huge public support for a Swiss/Norway style strong links with the EU.

I have been posting quotes etc from that particular classic for a long time  ;):

Quote from: muppet on February 12, 2009, 05:13:47 PM
Stole this idea from another site

To lighten the mood here are some quotes from the superb Yes Minister/Prime Minister:

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Prime Minister, in government, a clarification is not to make things clear. It's to *put* oneself in the clear.

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Politicians like to panic. They need activity; it's their substitute for achievement! 

Sir Humphrey Appleby:
Surveillance is an indispensable weapon in the battle against organized crime.
James Hacker: You're not describing politicians as organized crime?
Sir Humphrey Appleby: No... well, disorganized crime too of course.

Sir Humphrey Appleby:
We really have to get the minister to climb up the flagpole and nail his trousers to the mast.
Bernard Woolley: Don't you mean nail the flag to the mast?
Sir Humphrey Appleby: No, nail his trousers to the mast, Bernard. That way he can't climb down again.

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Bernard, Ministers should never know more than they need to know. Then they can't tell anyone. Like secret agents, they could be captured and tortured.
Bernard Woolley: You mean by terrorists?
Sir Humphrey Appleby: By the BBC, Bernard.

James Hacker: Elbows: the most important weapon in a politician's army.
Annie Hacker: Other than integrity!
James Hacker: Integrity?
[bursts out laughing]

James Hacker: So when this next comes up at Question Time, you want me to tell Parliament that it's their fault that the Civil Service is too big?
Sir Humphrey Appleby: But it is the truth, Minister.
James Hacker: I don't want the truth. I want something I can tell Parliament!
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Brexit is the UK version of Trump. It attracts a similar demographic. BoJo is a Lidl version Trump.