Ros v Shligo 12th June 2016.

Started by Rossfan, May 24, 2016, 08:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Not much excitement around about this game and haven't seen our county lads in ages so maybe it's out of sight, out of mind. I'm not expecting a win. Don't think we're much better than last year (McIntyre is a big addition granted but still carrying a few passengers). I think Roscommon will prove to be better than last year and win by 4/5.

I'm not a fan of Carew at all. I think he's a bluffer,writing shite in the Champion to tell us how great we are. Playing McDonnell at full back is a terrible waste. I hope there is some workable strategy for our kickouts as everyone will target them now.

theyellowbus

Quote from: Syferus on June 10, 2016, 04:11:59 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 10, 2016, 03:36:09 PM
So bus assuming the named team- goalie, FB line adequate, HF line excellent.
2 dodgy HBs, question marks over midfield, and 3 FFs with reputations but not the performances to go with them.
Not an unfair review IMO.
The actual starting 15 and the subs will be very interesting and will in all probability give us a stronger team for our next game - Hopefully a CF on 10th July.

Cregg has always been very consistent. Donie has regularly validated his reputation when his body has been willing to co-operate. If anything he's a gamer who has performed best in the most critical matches.

Bit daft to single out Purcy, the reason he's there is because we've had a black hole at the heart of our HB line for years now and it's better to have a seasoned performer in that position than other options we have.

Creggs consistency has been very good (our best player last year i thought) however he did perform poorly against Leitrim and I'm just hoping that was a blip remember he wouldn't be the first good player to go through a loss of form. Granted full forward line isn't his best position anyway.
Donie has had one good game for Roscommon since Castlebar 2010.That was against Mayo in 2014.So to say he has regularly put in good performances is absolute bull. Yes he hasn't had much luck with injuries but the lad has under performed more times relative to his ability. Loss of form can be attributed to prolonged injuries but its not always to blame.

So your answer  to the problem at 6 is to stick a lad in there because he has experience.We saw how that went in the league semi.
A great servant but not at the level of a top 8 side which we should be aspiring too.
Its one of the most important positions on the pitch and unfortunately is our weakest at the moment until someone or some system is found to counter act that weakness.

Syferus

Quote from: theyellowbus on June 10, 2016, 04:48:45 PM
2 dodgy HBs, question marks over midfield, and 3 FFs with reputations but not the performances to go with them.
The actual starting 15 and the subs will be very interesting and will in all probability give us a stronger team for our next game - Hopefully a CF on 10th July.

Cregg has always been very consistent. Donie has regularly validated his reputation when his body has been willing to co-operate. If anything he's a gamer who has performed best in the most critical matches.

Bit daft to single out Purcy, the reason he's there is because we've had a black hole at the heart of our HB line for years now and it's better to have a seasoned performer in that position than other options we have.

Creggs consistency has been very good (our best player last year i thought) however he did perform poorly against Leitrim and I'm just hoping that was a blip remember he wouldn't be the first good player to go through a loss of form. Granted full forward line isn't his best position anyway.
Donie has had one good game for Roscommon since Castlebar 2010.That was against Mayo in 2014.So to say he has regularly put in good performances is absolute bull. Yes he hasn't had much luck with injuries but the lad has under performed more times relative to his ability. Loss of form can be attributed to prolonged injuries but its not always to blame.

So your answer  to the problem at 6 is to stick a lad in there because he has experience.We saw how that went in the league semi.
A great servant but not at the level of a top 8 side which we should be aspiring too.
Its one of the most important positions on the pitch and unfortunately is our weakest at the moment until someone or some system is found to counter act that weakness.

Donie was excelent in both the first half v Cavan and most of the Fermanagh game. He was subbed out only because the injuries meant he wasn't near full fitness. He was our best forward v Leitrim the last day too. Fitan got MotM based on the second half but it was Donie that got the killer blows in the first half. A big boy who is as good a footballer as Shine is a pretty rare commodity. If he can get a run of fitness he's as important to us in 2016 as he was in 2010 or 2011. Performed for Clann when it mattered in the club championship too.

theyellowbus

Quote from: Syferus on June 10, 2016, 05:13:18 PM
Quote from: theyellowbus on June 10, 2016, 04:48:45 PM

Donie was excelent in both the first half v Cavan and most of the Fermanagh game. He was subbed out only because the injuries meant he wasn't near full fitness. He was our best forward v Leitrim the last day too. Fitan got MotM based on the second half but it was Donie that got the killer blows in the first half. A big boy who is as good a footballer as Shine is a pretty rare commodity. If he can get a run of fitness he's as important to us in 2016 as he was in 2010 or 2011. Performed for Clann when it mattered in the club championship too.

I was at both games and unfortunately Shines performance both days were not excellent.Id hate to see your barometer in terms of exceptional.
Yes a very good first half against Leitrim but was non existent in the second half.
How could his points in the first half be classed as killer blows?? There was no killer blows after ten mins they just gave up. Granted they were a poor side but by the time he scored his last point in the first half there was still a good 40 mins of football left. MOTM awards are rarely given out on good 1st half performances.
He was very good in the club championship last year (which i believe has given him a new hunger ) but off the back of two poor years prior.
I dont want to be hard on the lad with the effort he his obviously putting in but the last few years his overall performances have only been average relative to his overall raw ability.
Now whether that's down to injuries,falling out of love for the game which can happen anyone or down to mediocre management at both club and county its anyone's guess.
I seen a glimpse of what we all know he can do against leitrim in the first half and if that type of performance can be sustained for the majority of a championship game then i think we have the old donie back.

Rossfan

The named FF line is Syfín's wet dream.
They don't have to actually do anything to be exceptional for him.
They all need to be stepping up their performances from here on.
Management have to start making hard calls ( and some would say look beyond Lisnamult).
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

oliverkelly

Quote from: Rossfan on June 10, 2016, 06:15:41 PM
Management have to start making hard calls ( and some would say look beyond Lisnamult).

In which direction? I hope you mean south

Syferus

Don't see any favouritism. James Mac merited his place the last day. John Mac did too and is getting chances because of the position he plays and his physicality, not because of his club.

Would like to see Ross Timothy committing to the county panel next year. A smart player that could play a few positions in the HB/Sweeper area.

Mclf

Quote from: Syferus on June 10, 2016, 06:44:32 PM

Don't see any favouritism. James Mac merited his place the last day. John Mac did too and is getting chances because of the position he plays and his physicality, not because of his club.

Would like to see Ross Timothy committing to the county panel next year. A smart player that could play a few positions in the HB/Sweeper area.

You are paddling some amount of garbage even for you, you are going into overdrive at this stage talking about the galacticos, it's probably because you won't have much opportunity to talk about them anymore before they tamely exist the championship but worry not Mayo might still be left and you can be infatuated with them like you always are and especially Andy.

Rossfan

Things gone quiet.
Nerves or feckin soccer?
Time to advance and prove we can do something after May day.

ck

Quote from: Syferus on June 10, 2016, 06:44:32 PM

What clubs he Syf?

giveballaghback

Best of luck to Ros team and management today, looking forward to the game and hoping for a Rossie victory, I think we will win with a bit to spare.

Rossfan

Quote from: giveballaghback on June 12, 2016, 09:20:23 AM
Best of luck to Ros team and management today, looking forward to the game and hoping for a Rossie victory, I think we will win .
+1.

Tubberman

Fair amount of rain over past 48 hours, will the Hyde be fit for its swan song?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on June 12, 2016, 11:35:32 AM
Fair amount of rain over past 48 hours, will the Hyde be fit for its swan song?

Hardly any rain has fell in the town area the last few days.

Dinny Breen

Wonder would Pat Hughes like a house on Straffan  :D A really good full-forward.
#newbridgeornowhere