Ros v Shligo 12th June 2016.

Started by Rossfan, May 24, 2016, 08:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: oliverkelly on June 10, 2016, 10:18:17 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 10, 2016, 09:53:59 AM
Is Harney injured?

D Murtagh appears to be very injury prone as do a few others.

Both are very injury prone. Murtagh has now pulled his hamstring 3 times in 12 Months. Harney has pulled his 3 times since December but is due to start full training in the next week.

Didn't realise it was the same injury they kept suffering from, unfortunately its hard to imagine these 2 keeping fit for the summer. Its a shame as both are two of the best young players I've seen in recent years.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on June 10, 2016, 06:56:31 AM
Quote from: moysider on June 09, 2016, 11:49:50 PM

Really? I find it extraordinary that any manager at any level would start injured players if he had the resources besides that he believed could get the job done. It's all very well in hindsight saying any fit squad players would have been good enough.

Anyway got my tickets today for this and looking forward to it. There's been some very enjoyable Sligo/Ros. games down the years. Hoping for another good one.

He had our starting corner forward throughout the league this year sitting on his arse for most of the game last year. Our two best forwards this year were in the stands that day,  nevermind on the bench. The idea the players went in cocky is total media and outsider proselytizing  too. Playing a match with no fit inside forward starting usually is a good way to lose a match. Missing good opportunity after good opportunity drained the confidence of the team and allowed an honestly very workmanlike Sligo side to grow into the game.
Now, now Syf, a touch of realism is needed here. If ye were missing opportunity after opportunity it was yeer own fault and saying ye'd have won if only the bloody forwards knew where the goalposts were is straight out of the "If only me auntie...." school of logic.
II bet you didn't find a single Mayo fan, on here or anywhere else, who was boasting and bragging about what we'd do to Sligo in the final. They deserve to be treated with respect as they will fight to the end.
I recall one Rossie supporter on here, (and I won't mention any name but you can look in the mirror) dismissing Sligo and Fermanagh earlier in the year. Maybe they are "hardly football titans" but they were still good enough to bate yiz last year unless ye smarten up Sligo could well sicken ye again.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Tubberman

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 10, 2016, 11:08:38 AM

Really? I find it extraordinary that any manager at any level would start injured players if he had the resources besides that he believed could get the job done. It's all very well in hindsight saying any fit squad players would have been good enough.

Anyway got my tickets today for this and looking forward to it. There's been some very enjoyable Sligo/Ros. games down the years. Hoping for another good one.

He had our starting corner forward throughout the league this year sitting on his arse for most of the game last year. Our two best forwards this year were in the stands that day,  nevermind on the bench. The idea the players went in cocky is total media and outsider proselytizing  too. Playing a match with no fit inside forward starting usually is a good way to lose a match. Missing good opportunity after good opportunity drained the confidence of the team and allowed an honestly very workmanlike Sligo side to grow into the game.
Now, now Syf, a touch of realism is needed here. If ye were missing opportunity after opportunity it was yeer own fault and saying ye'd have won if only the bloody forwards knew where the goalposts were is straight out of the "If only me auntie...." school of logic.
II bet you didn't find a single Mayo fan, on here or anywhere else, who was boasting and bragging about what we'd do to Sligo in the final. They deserve to be treated with respect as they will fight to the end.
I recall one Rossie supporter on here, (and I won't mention any name but you can look in the mirror) dismissing Sligo and Fermanagh earlier in the year. Maybe they are "hardly football titans" but they were still good enough to bate yiz last year unless ye smarten up Sligo could well sicken ye again.

And it would be hard not to have smile and think "good enough for him".
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Syferus

You have some serious memory problems if you think I was dismissing Sligo last year. If anything I was far more worried about that game than this one.

I expect a response to the failures of last year on Sunday and if there isn't there's no point in us even bothering with the Quailifers.

Fermanagh are a better team with a far better manager than Sligo. The trajectory of both teams prove that.

Your post reeks of the usual brand of self-serving cute hoorism that has infected this forum Lar. You're not running for election so you'd be better served cutting the political correct shite.

Mac2

Roscommon will walk this.

sligoman

What's the weather promised like for this. I prefer it be dry from our point of view.

oliverkelly

Quote from: sligoman on June 10, 2016, 01:55:37 PM
What's the weather promised like for this. I prefer it be dry from our point of view.

Could be a few showers forecast but we will also be hoping for a dry day.

manfromdelmonte

Murtagh needs to stop playing across multiple grades - county U21 & senior, club, third level

Syferus

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 10, 2016, 02:11:53 PM
Murtagh needs to stop playing across multiple grades - county U21 & senior, club, third level

He's overage.

theyellowbus

I think Sligo are actually an improved outfit on last year and it will take a monster effort to beat them.
The two things i think will get us over the line is the tactical battle between both management teams and which side will have the more hunger for the battle.
In both instances last year we were beat hands down but i believe we will turn the tables this year.
Last year Carew had very simple but effective tactics which exposed our weakness's in defence. He is no tactical genius but at times its the simple tweaks that can be made to a game plan which can see you over the line.Sometimes managements can be too over analytical (just ask the Clare hurlers!!).
I think this year our management set up will be less naive and will have certain areas protected and counter plans in place to nullify any threat from short kick outs and high balls into our full back line.
I also think that there is definitely a different approach and attitude going into this game than last year from all involved which will keep heads firmly on one thing only and that's a result in this game.
I would be genuinely worried about our half back line if its the one named to start  specifically the number 6.I just think he isn't up to this level and will struggle against much better sides and may well even struggle on Sunday.
While i thought John mc was our best performer in the first half against leitrim this is another step up again and I'm afraid will the pressure be too much hopefully time will prove me wrong.
Midfield is still unproven (if its the one named starts) but i don't think Sligo are world beaters in that area either so maybe that will be an area we can break even.
Our half forward line is our best line on the pitch and with plenty of ball and mobility will cause most teams problems.
In the full forward line we need a better showing from Cathal than the last day and hopefully Donie can put in more sustained performance and build on the promise against Leitrim.
If Kilbride starts he really needs to perform I'm afraid too many false dawns with the lad because if we manage to win on Sunday and his performance is poor id be struggling to see why he should be considered for a starting berth in a Connacht final

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Mac2 on June 10, 2016, 11:47:40 AM

Roscommon will walk this.
I expect them to win by a few points alright but then most people expected that last year and look what happened.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

So bus assuming the named team- goalie, FB line adequate, HF line excellent.
2 dodgy HBs, question marks over midfield, and 3 FFs with reputations but not the performances to go with them.
Not an unfair review IMO.
The actual starting 15 and the subs will be very interesting and will in all probability give us a stronger team for our next game - Hopefully a CF on 10th July.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Soju

Quote from: sligoman on June 10, 2016, 09:34:52 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 09, 2016, 11:29:27 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on June 09, 2016, 10:05:39 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 09, 2016, 10:01:41 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on June 09, 2016, 09:55:14 PM
Quote from: giveballaghback on June 09, 2016, 09:46:48 PM
Diarmuid Murtagh not on squad for Sunday, injured in training on tuesday night.
Big blow that. Last year Roscommon had to endure late injury setbacks before the Sligo game, looks like history is repeating itself one year on.

The injuries weren't the issue. It was playing the injured players that was the bother.
If I recall right Donie Shine was to play last year only for a late injury.

He was concussed. If we named 15 fit players to start last year we would have won even playing as we did.

The arrogance of ye bucks knows no bounds.
Only one buck!  No complaints here ye were the better team on the day last year. Hopefully twill be a good entertaining game on Sunday and win or lose best a luck to Sligo in their following game. Ros abu!

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on June 10, 2016, 03:36:09 PM
2 dodgy HBs, question marks over midfield, and 3 FFs with reputations but not the performances to go with them.
The actual starting 15 and the subs will be very interesting and will in all probability give us a stronger team for our next game - Hopefully a CF on 10th July.

Cregg has always been very consistent. Donie has regularly validated his reputation when his body has been willing to co-operate. If anything he's a gamer who has performed best in the most critical matches.

Bit daft to single out Purcy, the reason he's there is because we've had a black hole at the heart of our HB line for years now and it's better to have a seasoned performer in that position than other options we have.

theyellowbus

Quote from: Rossfan on June 10, 2016, 03:36:09 PM

I think that's our hidden strength Rossfan and that is this year we have a good in depth panel.
One could nearly be bold and say that the team starting on Sunday if that is the case is almost a B team.
We have players in my honest opinion through injury and otherwise are not starting who would improve that side.D murtgah,U Harney,E Smith,C Shine (when fit & on Song) T Corcoaran (could be anything but IMHO is a very good prospect),D keenan (not everyones cup of tea but is a player who rarely lets us down),k Higgins,Connolly,S Mullooly (again an excellent prospect IMHO).
However Sunday is the litmus test for me at the moment.
We need a result but i also think we need a good performance too go along with it so this group can grow another notch or two in the mentality department.
I would worry that we are too fragile and we need to start being more streetwise in terms of the physical stakes as well our group mentality which is fragile and yet too develop in terms of an inner belief.
All the good teams have it.its the F**k you attitude which the likes of Tyrone,Donegal (under mcguiness) mayo and dublin possess and exhume even before a ball is thrown in.
we need to start developing that its not arrogance its about being mentally tough enough as a group together.