Ros v Shligo 12th June 2016.

Started by Rossfan, May 24, 2016, 08:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: Syferus on June 07, 2016, 07:31:36 PM
Quote from: sligoman on June 07, 2016, 06:44:58 PM
Feeling pretty confident about this one, think the two teams are at a similar level despite what the Rossie think. It's hard to know whether we're a better team than last year. Ross Donovan and Kelly are huge losses but great to have McIntyre  back and good to have Charlie fit again.

The achilles heel of midfield still remains, ideally we'd like to free McDonnell up here to partner McIntyre but then we have a big gap at full back.

Pat Hughes is the key for us, if we can get good ball in for him then I don't think Roscommon have a back physically capable of stopping him. I also think we have an edge in mobility around the middle of the pitch, if we can hold our own on kickouts then I think we will shade it.

Collins is well able for Mr. Hughes. Sligo have a bit of ludraman for a manager and that's part of the reason I've every hope we'll out-fight Sligo on the field and out-think them off it. Has no clue how to adjust when plan A fails imho.

Hughes is big but the few times I saw him he kicked everything wide.

sligoman

Quote from: Syferus on June 07, 2016, 07:31:36 PM
Quote from: sligoman on June 07, 2016, 06:44:58 PM
Feeling pretty confident about this one, think the two teams are at a similar level despite what the Rossie think. It's hard to know whether we're a better team than last year. Ross Donovan and Kelly are huge losses but great to have McIntyre  back and good to have Charlie fit again.

The achilles heel of midfield still remains, ideally we'd like to free McDonnell up here to partner McIntyre but then we have a big gap at full back.

Pat Hughes is the key for us, if we can get good ball in for him then I don't think Roscommon have a back physically capable of stopping him. I also think we have an edge in mobility around the middle of the pitch, if we can hold our own on kickouts then I think we will shade it.

Collins is well able for Mr. Hughes. Sligo have a bit of ludraman for a manager and that's part of the reason I've every hope we'll out-fight Sligo on the field and out-think them off it. Has no clue how to adjust when plan A fails imho.

We'll see, he certainly has the height on Collins.

Tubberman

Quote from: Syferus on June 07, 2016, 05:12:32 PM
You'd never hear McFOD giving it gusto like that. Usually don't wish Sligo any ill but this year I hope to God we can hockey them.

Carew isn't talking about winning All-Ireland's is he? Unlike your previous manager who you defended to the hilt.
He's only talking about beating Roscommon, which they did last year. Hardly getting above his station.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on June 07, 2016, 10:08:29 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 07, 2016, 05:12:32 PM
You'd never hear McFOD giving it gusto like that. Usually don't wish Sligo any ill but this year I hope to God we can hockey them.

Carew isn't talking about winning All-Ireland's is he? Unlike your previous manager who you defended to the hilt.
He's only talking about beating Roscommon, which they did last year. Hardly getting above his station.

We'll see how far above his station he is on Sunday.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Carew has his flaws but he is tactically very astute and is a good coach. Roscommon have the more talented individuals by a reasonable margin but it is a well organised and well oiled Sligo team that has been preparing for this match all year. It is tough to call.

Syferus

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 07, 2016, 10:38:44 PM
Carew has his flaws but he is tactically very astute and is a good coach. Roscommon have the more talented individuals by a reasonable margin but it is a well organised and well oiled Sligo team that has been preparing for this match all year. It is tough to call.

His main flaw being the best players in Sligo have no intentions of playing for him.

Itchy

Are you having a laugh. His tactic of leaving Aidan O Shea one on one in the penalty box in last years Connacht final against a young lad half his size had to be the worst set up I ever saw in a provincial final. I'd say he's another bluffer like mcgeeney.

westbound

Quote from: Itchy on June 07, 2016, 10:45:43 PM

Are you having a laugh. His tactic of leaving Aidan O Shea one on one in the penalty box in last years Connacht final against a young lad half his size had to be the worst set up I ever saw in a provincial final. I'd say he's another bluffer like mcgeeney.

I'm with itchy on this one!

Apart from beating an extremely tactically naive roscommon last year (not to mention overconfident and half injured) What has Carew achieved as manager of Sligo?

A hammering from Mayo, a 7 point defeat to Tyrone, and 2 mid-table division 3 league finishes!

He'll have to achieve more than that to convince me that he's "tactically very astute".

He may well prove me wrong on Sunday, but I can't really see anything other than a win for us. Having said that, I said the same last year!! :o :o :o

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 07, 2016, 04:31:05 PM
Sligos manager Niall Carew is confident ahead of Sundays encounter.

We can't wait for it. This is the game we're been looking forward to all year. Our preparations have always been about Roscommon. Bring it on at this stage.

We're in a better place than we were this time last year. We're a better team and we're better balanced. I'm very fortunate to have a very good panel of players. You'd go to war with theses lads and I'm looking forward to going to war again this Sunday.

We have a better championship record than Roscommon over the last few years we have the experience of reaching 3 Connacht finals in the last 6 years, this Roscommon team has yet to prove itself in the championship. We have proven ourselves. I'd be very disappointing if we don't win on Sunday.

lol fighting talk but imo talk is cheap,

there is no interest in Sligo for this match, read into that what you will but in my lifetime we only had close games with Roscommon and I expect Sunday to be close, I cant say I overly enthused about anything Sligo gaa at the minute tbh but I am coming home for this, Best of luck lads, Sligeach abu
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Mano

Tactically astute - have a look at the setup of the team against Mayo. Then in the only change for the Tyrone game he drops the young full-back who he matched up against A O'Shea without any defensive blanket to offer some kind of protection.

Carew and Sligo got lucky last year in my opinion. Evans had Roscommon built up as All-Ireland contenders whereas in reality (due mainly to injuries) there had some very ordinary players lining out. Add to that Kilbride and D Murtagh carried injuries into the game. Roscommon also didn't push up on Sligo kickouts. As Mayo showed a few weeks later this was the key to winning the game. Sligo will be better at midfield this year due to McIntyre's return but the fullback line which was already vulnerable has been considerably weakened by Donovans retirement. Kelly is a loss but he hasn't been as good on recent years as he needs space for his small size and the modern day blanket defence doesn't suit his game.
Roscommon have a far better team (management and players) than last year, have home advantage, have already played 2 championship games, have players returning from injury and will not be as confident and arrogant as last year. Hopefully Sligo can put up a good performance and can get good ball into the forwards. Roscommon will probably win this with a few points to spare though unfortunately.

sligoman

I wouldn't be so harsh on Carew, certainly he was found out against Mayo last year but he has done a decent rebuilding job on a team he inherited that was over the hill and has introduced a lot of new player who have equipped themselves fairly well.

Anyone care to have a crack at our lineup for Sunday. Don't think there are too many changes to what played the majority of the league. Presuming everyone is fit.....

1. Devaney
2. Harrison
3. McDonnell
4. Maye
5. Cawley
6. Egan
7. O'Kelly Lynch
8. McIntyre
9. Murphy
10. Ewing
11. Mark Breheny
12. Can Breheny
13. Kyle Cawley
14. Hughes
15. Marren

The big call is really whether Carew starts with Brian Egan or Kyle Cawley.

Rossfan

Claff
Seànie Collins McI
Daly Percy/ Keenan Davy M
JMcD C Shine
Fintan C Murtagh Devaney
D Murtagh D Shine C Cregg
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sligoman

1. Aidan Devaney Calry/St.Joseph's
2 Daniel Maye Tubbercurry
3 Kevin McDonnell Castleconnor
4 Eoin Flanagan St. John's
5 Keelan Cawley Coolera/Standhill
6 Adrian McIntyre Tourlestrane
7 Brendan Egan St. Vincent's
8 Niall Murphy Coolera/Standhill
9 Cian Breheny St. Marys
10 Neil Ewing Drumcliffe/Rosses Point
11 Mark Breheny St. Marys (Captain)
12 Charlie Harrison St. Johns
13 Adrian Marren Curry
14 Pat Hughes Geevagh
15 Brian Egan Tourlestrane

Would expect McIntyre in midfield and Charlie dropping back into defence. Not many surprises there, Egan the only debutant.

Syferus

Carew going for the park the bus tactic I see. Good luck with that.

PW Nally

Quote from: Syferus on June 09, 2016, 06:49:33 PM
Carew going for the park the bus tactic I see. Good luck with that.
You guys going to keep the big blue bus ticking over for a quick get-away again?