2016 Summer Olympics Rio

Started by DrinkingHarp, May 24, 2016, 06:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

It was a good finish from Mageean in her heat. Hopefully she can make the final.

Her coach Gerry Kiernan said he was incredulous in relation to the performance of the Ethiopian runner in the 10000 metres earlier on.

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 13, 2016, 12:47:59 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 12, 2016, 09:06:12 PM
Quote from: laoislad on August 12, 2016, 08:26:37 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 12, 2016, 07:51:37 PM

This 20k walk race is a joke. The winner here clearly has both feet off the ground at the same time.
They all seemed to be running at one point or another during it.
Why also did they not have a out and back course 10k each way. Made it boring watching them on that looped road course.

Crazy stuff. One foot shold be in contact with ground  at all times and the leading leg should straighten when it strikes as well. the winner wasn t doing either imo.

Agree about the loops. Hope they don t do that with the Marathon!

That's done for the walk so the judges can keep an eye on people more easily. Bit of a joke though when they clearly weren't doing their job.

I remember back in the day when we all had video recorders. I taped a bit of a walk and there were some walkers that were clearly both feet off the ground on replay slow motion. I can't remember what games it was ( a good while ago) but a few were disqualified.
The problem with the event is that some officials will be bastards and picky while others will turn the blind eye.
But the winner today was 'running' imo.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 13, 2016, 01:57:03 AM
It was a good finish from Mageean in her heat. Hopefully she can make the final.

Her coach Gerry Kiernan said he was incredulous in relation to the performance of the Ethiopian runner in the 10000 metres earlier on.

And he emphasised that word each time he mentioned it!

5 Sams

Anyone see those Chinese women discus throwers and shot putters!!!
The Aristocrat Years

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 13, 2016, 02:27:51 AM

And he emphasised that word each time he mentioned it!

Yeah. BBC did not express any doubts about it from what I saw. Maybe they did not want to put Paula on the spot!?

I dunno? The existing record was a farce. I hope and suspect that girl is ok.

moysider

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 13, 2016, 02:44:19 AM

A population that size you will get shapes and sizes to do anything!!

And if you can't you can breed them like they did with that basketball fella, whose name I've thankfully forgotten.

To make sure you give them turtle soup or some concoction to give them extra pep.

Capt Pat

A 35 year old American has just won the the 50 metre freestyle in the pool. Unheard of for someone that old to win a swimming gold medal.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 13, 2016, 03:00:53 AM
A 35 year old American has just won the the 50 metre freestyle in the pool. Unheard of for someone that old to win a swimming gold medal.

Incredulous?

seafoid

The IOC has really tight control of all TV relating to races and matches at the games. And athletes have a long list of words they aren't allowed to use with non accredited media.

Muck Savage

Quote from: moysider on August 13, 2016, 02:54:24 AM

And if you can't you can breed them like they did with that basketball fella, whose name I've thankfully forgotten.

To make sure you give them turtle soup or some concoction to give them extra pep.

Yao Ming was the basketball player. Muck IMHO but made Houston a lot of money through shirt sales in China!

I've been in China working for the past two weeks and was asking a few about the way sports works here. When kids are very young, 6-10 years old, they are identified in the school system as being talented. Then hauled off to some camps for long periods of time to fine tune their shills. They get little education as all the time is spent focused on practice. Is a mad place.

gallsman

Gerry's an awful bollocks though.

gallsman

Quote from: Muck Savage on August 13, 2016, 07:44:06 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 13, 2016, 02:54:24 AM

Yao Ming was the basketball player. Muck IMHO but made Houston a lot of money through shirt sales in China!

I've been in China working for the past two weeks and was asking a few about the way sports works here. When kids are very young, 6-10 years old, they are identified in the school system as being talented. Then hauled off to some camps for long periods of time to fine tune their shills. They get little education as all the time is spent focused on practice. Is a mad place.

Yao was anything but muck. He was great in his first few years and if he'd managed to stay injury free, would have been sensational. Plenty of greats like Barkley and Shaq have said Yao proved them wrong.

imtommygunn

Gerry is a bollocks but the reaction to that 10000 is probably akin to ben johnshon in 88.

Great to see mageean through.

gallsman

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 13, 2016, 09:05:17 AM
Gerry is a bollocks but the reaction to that 10000 is probably akin to ben johnshon in 88.

Great to see mageean through.

As pointed out before, you can't say definitively on performance alone that she was doped. While the improvement on Wang's record (or even the one before that ) was remarkable, relatively the improvement is less than others, e.g. Radcliffe. Given that 13 of them ran PBs are they all at it?

If track is super fast, should be very interesting for the sprints.

imtommygunn

I would agree. If the girl is clean then it is not fair on her. She has form in 5000 and beat the younger dibaba in the worlds so is obviously a class athlete as the younger dibaba is a phenomenal athlete. Races in championships tend to be tactical so it will be hard to see if it is a fast track.

It is actually quite sad that , assuming she doesn't get done for doping and if she has got this far i don't think she will, there will always be immense scepticism of her performance.