Laois u21 hurlers 2016

Started by TheGreatGame, May 23, 2016, 10:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave like the tv channel

It would probably suit Carlow a lot more to simply concentrate on hurling, given their geography and population. Whatever we have to complain about, their's was only 55,000 in 2011. 27,000 less than ours.

They should pay as much heed to football as Kilkenny and become a hurling county, tucked in between Wexford and Kilkenny.

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

the usual guff after a pathetic defeat.

facts are this under 21 age group, 3 years ago hammered offaly by 15 points and chinned a decent wexford team in the semi final and gave commendable displays against Kilkenny and galway.

the truth is

1-
Carlow are not a good team, they would not get within 12 points of any team in munster and save for doyle the rest are very ordinary. if you cannot beat Carlow at under 21 then you are rock bottom.

2-
the only underage teams that have given hope for the future are those under the care of pat critchley....when you take him out of the picture, the truth is there is  no other coach in the county up to intercounty standard and I include cheddar in that statement.

3-
this under 21 team represented our best chance as a county of contesting a provincial final at any grade hurling or football in 2016, and from what I hear the preparations were poor.

I was unimpressed by managements of minor and under 21 hurling squads in 2016....perhaps it is time to fish further afield for a coach to help bring these panels up to intercounty standard......and before someone launches on a tirade about keeping it in-house, very few senior clubs have laois managers, and  from what I have seen in the past 2 years, none of the club minor or under 21 teams managers/coaches have the skill set and knowledge to be positioned to take an inter county squad.

should the senior hurlers lose to offaly and possibly get a season ending hammering thereafter by a munster county then the hurling project will have hit a very troublesome bump in the road, as cheddar might say. cheddar will leave and I have zero confidence in the county executive when it comes to appointments. following lillis in the football, one would fear we may get an uninspiring and negative choice akin to McCarthy or Fennelly for the hurling, and that would be a death knell and laying a path to the Christy Ring.

finbar o tool

If an outside man is needed, then we go all out, do whatever we have to, to get really good quality coaches over the minor, u21 and Senior teams, and put decent Laois coaches in working beside them so they can learn. Then they can take the reigns when ready and take in other decent Laois Coaches as apprentices if you like.
I do like a good rant about bad coaching etc but at the end of the day, its not an easy job. Lads in these jobs need support and they need to learn their trade. Some appointments would raise an eyebrow regarding experience etc.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Gmac on May 27, 2016, 12:17:04 AMTime for Laois to go and hire a full time person to run the gaa in the county from top to bottom . Fundraise to pay for it or stay where we are going nowhere

We already have one of them!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Heshs Umpire

Fairly worrying line of form from Carlow v Offaly tonight.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Ogie

Instead of putting our foot on Offalys neck this year and putting them back years we have done more for them than anyone else in getting their hurling back in a positive position, Seniors falling badly to them and our 21's being so poor that Offaly have sailed into a Leinster final

As I've said previously real real work wanted at underage in our county

blueandwhite1

We beat them 4 years in a row at minor level, often by large margins. We should also have beaten them this year by the way.

It does seem that we stop our player development post minor wheras they have built a panel of future senior players. As always, questions have to be asked about how smart our underage setups are.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on June 24, 2016, 08:10:54 AM
We beat them 4 years in a row at minor level, often by large margins. We should also have beaten them this year by the way.

As Ogie said this was an excellent opportunity to "put them f**kers back on their arses for another ten years". Could have been beaten at Senior and should have been beaten at Minor & U21.

Offaly will most likely give Wexford a good game in the qualifiers, and a win is not beyond them. Had a decent league (bar Kerry).

We should have been cementing our place above them in the food chain this year. It has turned out to be an awful year for Laois hurling.

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on June 24, 2016, 08:10:54 AM
As always, questions have to be asked about how smart our underage setups are.

That question should always be asked

Thewildcat

i think if laois put more efford into beating other teams rather than just been up for the offaly games they would be better off.  they have won was it just one game since last years win over offaly league play off again westmeath.   as for putting offaly back on their arse for the next 10 years. one win in 42 years in championship hurling and offaly were way ahead of laois this year, maybe and a big maybe if offaly win the under 21 again Dublin the good times might be on the way back laois miight learn something from it  ;)

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Thewildcat on June 24, 2016, 09:37:42 PM
i think if laois put more efford into beating other teams rather than just been up for the offaly games they would be better off.  they have won was it just one game since last years win over offaly league play off again westmeath.   as for putting offaly back on their arse for the next 10 years. one win in 42 years in championship hurling and offaly were way ahead of laois this year, maybe and a big maybe if offaly win the under 21 again Dublin the good times might be on the way back laois miight learn something from it  ;)

You totally miss the point.

Laois happened to be drawn against Offaly in important championship games at Minor, U21 & Senior level this year. All games that Laois could and in my opinion should have won.

Offaly have been the team above Laois in the overall Leinster pecking order for most of the last 50 years. Of course we would be measuring ourselves against Offaly.