The Official Euro 2016 Thread

Started by laoislad, May 22, 2016, 12:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: under the bar on July 13, 2016, 11:15:50 AM
Having given Nani the armband so early and having made no contribution to the win,  the least Ronaldo should have done was lifted the trophy with Nani.  But no, that that to be all about me too.

Don't be stupid, the captain lifts the cup, he's the captain all year, all during the qualifications he contributed to getting to the finals, and if he hadn't have scored goals in this tournament they would not have qualified for the final!!

Some people cant see past their own hatred.... seen he gave all his earnings for appearing for Portugal (£800,000) to charity (likewise the England team did also, but would not have been as much as they are shit)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The Stallion

Maybe if he'd relinquished the free kick duties which he clearly doesn't have the ability to warrant taking, Portugal might have had a smoother path to the final. The one free kick they got once he cried off injured hit the crossbar whereas his efforts throughout the tournament were frankly pathetic.

Unfortunately it seems his massive ego prevented him from putting the team first.

Man Marker

Any of you recall a journalist/photographer a short while back who had tripped a refugee who had a son, well CR after that well published event went out of his way and had the two taken to Portugal where he ensured both were looked after in terms of accommodation and work

CR charitable activities gives proper insight to his character rather than the pantomime that football is

The Stallion

Publicity stunts can't mask the quite obvious fact the man is a narcissistic egomaniac who isn't nearly as good at football as he thinks he is.

johnneycool

Quote from: The Stallion on July 13, 2016, 04:26:55 PM
Publicity stunts can't mask the quite obvious fact the man is a narcissistic egomaniac who isn't nearly as good at football as he thinks he is.

He can be that and also charitable.

The fact that he chooses to support Palestinians through various means doesn't always sit well with those in the media.

Man Marker

Quote from: The Stallion on July 13, 2016, 04:26:55 PM

Maybe, but probably better at football than you think he is

Applesisapples

I have never really been a fan of Ronaldo, but he is such a good footballer, which only a fool would deny. His record at Real is superb and if he hadn't been playing in the era of Messi he would be acclaimed as the greatest of his generation. I was happy to see him win the Euro's with Portugal and I hope Messi can achieve success with Argentina (assuming he comes out of retirement.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The Stallion on July 13, 2016, 04:14:05 PM
Maybe if he'd relinquished the free kick duties which he clearly doesn't have the ability to warrant taking, Portugal might have had a smoother path to the final. The one free kick they got once he cried off injured hit the crossbar whereas his efforts throughout the tournament were frankly pathetic.

Unfortunately it seems his massive ego prevented him from putting the team first.

They won you numpty!! You also have to accept his goals (headers, shots, tap ins and free kicks) got them to the finals and his 2 goals got them past the groups stages... now you can assume this and assume that but the reality is without him in their team they would not be the Euro champs

Anyway when do the World cup qualifiers start?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The Stallion

They may well have been Champions without Ronaldo. They certainly played better without him than with him. He wasn't even their best performer in the Euros.

imtommygunn

They would not have won the tournament without ronaldo. They probably even wouldn't have been there.

Not a fan of the guy but he's an exceptional player. He had a poor tournament by his standards but was still very effective.

Sheedy

Quote from: The Stallion on July 14, 2016, 05:17:24 PM
They may well have been Champions without Ronaldo. They certainly played better without him than with him. He wasn't even their best performer in the Euros.
Im starting to get the feeling you don't like/rate ronaldo.  :P
nil satis nisi optimum

Boycey

The whole Ronaldo thing amuses me. I watched the final in my local the other night and a normally sensible man in his 50s went berserk when Ronaldo went off claiming Ronnie knew Portugal were gonna get beat and he didn't want to be involved in it ;D

As football fans we can give our support to racists, cannibals, boys who let their country down, ended other fellas careers, shagged their brothers Mrs etc etc but a disproportionate amount of people seem to dislike Ronaldo for the heinous crime of quite liking himself. History will look back well on Ronnie and f**k the begrudgers...

The Stallion

I don't think he's very good. Sorry if that upsets anyone, just my opinion.

ONeill

I dislike the hoor as much as anyone for the simple reason that he's just one of those people who gets me goat.

But he's a brilliant player. His movement in and around the box is torturous at international level. He's always looking for that inch ahead of his marker. He's like a Gary Lineker on speed. As a young'un he was a speed merchant on the wing. Now he can hit the ball with force on target regularly whereas other international footballers will just blast the yoke in the general direction of the goal posts. His heading is excellent. For a 31 year old his performance levels are remarkable. He won that tournament for Portugal, especially the game against Hungary. That point was crucial.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The Stallion on July 14, 2016, 10:46:09 PM
I don't think he's very good. Sorry if that upsets anyone, just my opinion.

But your opinion on football is flawed...