Previous topic - Next topic

ashman

Actually two

1: what is a hallion ??

2 ;   What does "thon " mean ??

5 Sams

Quote from: ashman on May 19, 2016, 11:03:18 AM
Actually two

1: what is a hallion ?? An uncouth person. No finesse. If you see somebody wiping his nose on his sleeve or farting in public....typical response is..."Fcuk you're a hallion!"

2 ;   What does "thon " mean ?? Has a lot of meanings but mostly means "that "object/person" over there" e.g. thon hallion is after letting one rip. Which sister did you curt last night? "Thon one with the ginger hair!"
The Aristocrat Years

Clov

Hallion is a great word - an aggressive, clumsy women.

Loreto Todd, whose compiled a dictionary on northern Irish English, suggests that it comes from the Gaeilge 'Eala-bhean' meaning swan woman.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

AZOffaly

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 19, 2016, 11:15:25 AM
Actually two

1: what is a hallion ?? An uncouth person. No finesse. If you see somebody wiping his nose on his sleeve or farting in public....typical response is..."Fcuk you're a hallion!"

2 ;   What does "thon " mean ?? Has a lot of meanings but mostly means "that "object/person" over there" e.g. thon hallion is after letting one rip. Which sister did you curt last night? "Thon one with the ginger hair!"

Would you say 'thon one' with the ginger hair, or just 'thon with the ginger hair'? Thon was (I thought) a contraction of The One, or That One? Thon One would be like someone saying PIN Number

Clov

Always thon one for me. i.e. that one over there.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

BennyCake

"Look at thon bollix" is a great line to describe some eejit acting the er, eejit.

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 19, 2016, 11:17:21 AM
Actually two

Would you say 'thon one' with the ginger hair, or just 'thon with the ginger hair'? Thon was (I thought) a contraction of The One, or That One? Thon One would be like someone saying PIN Number

Thon is a variant of "That one" . . . Are we really being pedantic about the grammar of it? Thon one is still an acceptable phrase.

To put it in Free State Terms a Hallion of a woman would be your classic Muck Savage!!

Clov

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 19, 2016, 11:17:21 AM
Actually two

I've just looked this up AZ, and it seems to come from the Middle/Old English 'yon'.

Also related is 'thonder' & 'yonder' 

AZOffaly

OgraAnDun

general_lee

Thon could mean hallion in some instances... eg a drinking associate making a fool of himself in the local drinking establishment:

"Who are you with tonight?"
"Thon"

lurganblue

No need for the "one" after thon.

"would ya look at the state of thon ffs"

Hallion isnt specific to women.  Plenty of men are hallions, including a right few GAA players. ie if someone is a dirty c*nt on the field he could receive verbals such as, "sure you're nothing but a hallion!"

Orior

Quote from: Clov on May 19, 2016, 11:16:17 AM
Hallion is a great word - an aggressive, clumsy women.

Loreto Todd, whose compiled a dictionary on northern Irish English, suggests that it comes from the Gaeilge 'Eala-bhean' meaning swan woman.

Hallion is also a surname in Australia. Probably descended from Irish convicts!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

AQMP

Quote from: lurganblue on May 19, 2016, 12:15:08 PM
No need for the "one" after thon.

"would ya look at the state of thon ffs"

Hallion isnt specific to women.  Plenty of men are hallions, including a right few GAA players. ie if someone is a dirty c*nt on the field he could receive verbals such as, "sure you're nothing but a hallion!"

Yes, not exclusive to women plenty of "durty hallions" on the football field

"Thon" can be used with or without "one"

longballin

Where did you leave them balls?   There there there