Your Top 10 Sporting Moments of All Time

Started by Under Lights, May 18, 2016, 04:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

passedit

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 19, 2016, 09:06:19 AM
1 Leeds beat Arsenal in 1972 cup final, Allan Clarke scores with diving header
2 Ali beats Foreman in the rumble in the jungle, 1974 - chaos follows for a week in school as everyone becomes a boxer.
3 Dragan Džajić hits the post in 1974 world cup fixture (Yugoslavia v Brazil, ended 0-0)
4 Barney 'The Rock' Reilly gets sent off in league match for Colmcille vs. (Swamp Critters) Dromard in 1975 (Dromard win 0-5 to 0-4)
5 Billy Bremner has perfectly good goal disallowed as Bayern Munich cheat their way to a 3rd consecutive European Champions Cup beating Leeds 2-0 in Paris - Leeds go on to trash the city and get banned from European competition for 5 years
6 Eddie Macken (proud Larry) wins four consecutive Hickstead Derbies, 1976-1979
7 Ray Houghton scores and Packie Bonner has a stormer in Stuttgart to beat England 1-0 in the Euros, 1988
8 Longford beat Kerry in Pearse Park, National League, 2004
9 My son makes his debut, at age 6, for St. Ita's AFC in 2006
10 Colmcille bridge a 50-year gap by winning the Longford senior championship in 2008, my brother finally wins the medal in his 3rd final

Diving is pushing it a bit Billy, I remember him falling like a log to meet the ball (that and Mick Jones going up for his medal with his arm in a sling).

Glad the Chip Van final got a mention too.

This thread is a great way to figure out what age everyone is.
Don't Panic

Emmett

In no particular order.....

* Fermanagh's run to the AI Semi Final in 2004. We should have done the business the first day v Mayo however.
* Darren Clarke sinking the winning putt in the 2006 Ryder cup and the emotional scenes during the aftermath.
* Shane Horgan's try v England to secure the triple crown.
* Ireland's performances in World Cup 2002 after the madness in the build up.
* Shane Long's winning goal v Germany.
* Padraig Harrington winning the Open in 2007 and the Ladybird moment with his son.
* Lionel Messi.
* The Armagh and Tyrone rivalry in the late 90's to mid 2000's when both were at their peak.
* Chelsea winning the Champions League in 2012.
* Leicester City winning the Premier league.

I'm sure there are a lot more that escape me at the moment.

Billys Boots

QuoteDiving is pushing it a bit Billy, I remember him falling like a log to meet the ball (that and Mick Jones going up for his medal with his arm in a sling).

You're probably right passedit, diving headers probably hadn't been invented at that stage. Anyway judge for yourselves. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt7mN9jMStg
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 20, 2016, 01:37:42 PM
QuoteDiving is pushing it a bit Billy, I remember him falling like a log to meet the ball (that and Mick Jones going up for his medal with his arm in a sling).

You're probably right passedit, diving headers probably hadn't been invented at that stage. Anyway judge for yourselves. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt7mN9jMStg

That was the day I became a Leeds fan. Mick O'Briens pub in Claremorris had the only colour TV in the town at that time, my dad took me to watch it.

Muck Savage

I'm 42

1981 - Offaly hurlers win our first Senior AI final (Was in Hogan stand)

1982 - Seamus Derbys goal for Offaly to stop the 5. (Again, in the hogan stand). Will take the vision of the water falling from the net when the ball hit it to the grave (no videos show this). Could never figure out why there were so many Offaly people on the pitch behind the goal when it went in as Kerry were leading by opts at the time.

1983 - Eamonn Coghlan World championship 5000m - The look over his shoulder with 110m to go, I remember trying to copy that at the local sports field at the community games

1984 - John Treacy silver at the Olympics - and he was hardly able to walk on the podium after. Great performance

1987 Tour de France - Stephen Roche's comeback against Delgado Everyone thought he was dead then out f the fog...

1988 Euros-  Ray Houghton's goal vs England  - A competition Ireland should have won.

1994 - The 5 min AI - (Was in the hill), Offaly went from 1st gear to 5th with one puck of the ball, Limerick went from 3rd gear to reverse. It was a bad game, Offaly played bad up to that point but I always felt if they got a goal they'd win it.

1997 Leinster final - Offaly beat Meath. The excitement before the game, fares in the hill and beating a team like Meath (without a couple of players) was unreal for a Div 4 team. Could have, Should have beat Mayo in Semi.

1999 - United vs Munich - Was playing an inter county game that evening, after we went in to get some food. Only 2 lads from 30 supported United. After the 2nd goal we were on the table

SHEEDY

1991- being on hill 16 to see down win the all-ireland, what a day.
1994- derry v down in celtic park, best match i was ever at.
1994- seeing down beat the dubs in their own back yard to win the AI.
1990- ireland v romania penalty shoot out.
1988- ireland v england in stuttgart
1989- everton v liverpool fa cup final
1986- maradona in the world cup, unreal.
1985- taylor v davies in world snooker final
2002- ireland in world cup, saipan and all that
2012- katie taylors olympic gold
1994- ireland v italy in giants stadium
nil satis nisi optimum

muppet

Quote from: Muck Savage on May 20, 2016, 04:43:22 PM
I'm 42

1982 - Seamus Derbys goal for Offaly to stop the 5. (Again, in the hogan stand). Will take the vision of the water falling from the net when the ball hit it to the grave (no videos show this). Could never figure out why there were so many Offaly people on the pitch behind the goal when it went in as Kerry were leading by opts at the time.

1983 - Eamonn Coghlan World championship 5000m - The look over his shoulder with 110m to go, I remember trying to copy that at the local sports field at the community games

1984 - John Treacy silver at the Olympics - and he was hardly able to walk on the podium after. Great performance

1987 Tour de France - Stephen Roche's comeback against Delgado Everyone thought he was dead then out f the fog...

1988 Euros-  Ray Houghton's goal vs England  - A competition Ireland should have won.

1994 - The 5 min AI - (Was in the hill), Offaly went from 1st gear to 5th with one puck of the ball, Limerick went from 3rd gear to reverse. It was a bad game, Offaly played bad up to that point but I always felt if they got a goal they'd win it.

1997 Leinster final - Offaly beat Meath. The excitement before the game, fares in the hill and beating a team like Meath (without a couple of players) was unreal for a Div 4 team. Could have, Should have beat Mayo in Semi.

1999 - United vs Munich - Was playing an inter county game that evening, after we went in to get some food. Only 2 lads from 30 supported United. After the 2nd goal we were on the table

0-13 to 0-7?

I remember thinking it was a fairly uneventful game. IIRC correctly Princess Diana had died that day/night before.
MWWSI 2017

Muck Savage

Quote from: muppet on May 20, 2016, 06:38:35 PM
Quote from: Muck Savage on May 20, 2016, 04:43:22 PM
I'm 42

0-13 to 0-7?

I remember thinking it was a fairly uneventful game. IIRC correctly Princess Diana had died that day/night before.

True it was uneventful. The Leinster final was played 2 weeks before that game, the team spent the week after the LF going around to all the clubs with the cup and having a few pints. They spent a weeks getting ready for the Semi. There was a lot of excitement in the county after the Leinster final and I remember thinking at the time that the semi was gone during that week, a more experienced team would have gone on and got to the AI final.
This was the neutron diet, remember that.

From the Bunker

John Tracey winning Silver in the 1984 - Olympics  (take a bow Jimmy Magee for the commentary!)
Galway winning the Hurling AI in 1980 - "Ach freisin caithfimid cuimhneamh ar dhaoine i Sasana, i Meiriceá, ar fuaid na tíre. Agus tá said, b'fhéidir, ag caoineadh anois i láthair."
Barry McGuigan beating the Panamanian Eusebio Pedroza for the WBA featherweight title 1985
Ireland beating England at Euro '88 First major Championships and we beat the auld enemy.
Liverpool beating Roma in the European Cup in Rome 1984 Some feat to win a Trophy in the oppositions home patch.
Liverpool winning the (plastic) treble in 2001. 3 Minor trophies, but great craic winning them.
Ireland beating Wales to win the Tripe Crown, Championship and Grand Slam 2009
Eamonn Coghlan wins gold at 1983 World Championships The smile on his face as he took the bend on the home strait - magic!
Sonia O'Sullivan Olympic Silver Sydney 2000 One of our best
Stephen Roche Tour de France, Giro and World 87 A great achievement - which has been tarnished by allegations.

My greatest GAA moment has not happened (yet)!

Highlander3

Quote from: SHEEDY on May 20, 2016, 06:26:33 PM
1991- being on hill 16 to see down win the all-ireland, what a day.
1994- derry v down in celtic park, best match i was ever at.
1994- seeing down beat the dubs in their own back yard to win the AI.
1990- ireland v romania penalty shoot out.
1988- ireland v england in stuttgart
1989- everton v liverpool fa cup final
1986- maradona in the world cup, unreal.
1985- taylor v davies in world snooker final
2002- ireland in world cup, saipan and all that
2012- katie taylors olympic gold
1994- ireland v italy in giants stadium

I remember all of them, the hill in 91 being the best

ONeill

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on May 19, 2016, 09:58:27 PM
In chronological order.

1985 - Declan McNicholl's late penalty to sent the then Ulster champions back over the Sperrins from Ballinascreen.
1991 - Damien Cassidy's almost equally late goal to send us victorious back over the Sperrins from Omagh.
1992 - The Tyrone defence failing to deal with a late 45 dropping into the square in the NFL final.
1992 - The Tyrone men being dispatched with considerable ease for the second time in a few days.
1993 - Bringing Sam across the Blackwater for the first time.
1993 - Our club's only appearance in the Derry SFC final.
1995 - Dublin ending a twelve year famine to win Sam. Unthinkable now.
1997 - Destroying a three-in-a-row seeking Tyrone outfit 2-15 to 2-3, still the most one-sided game between the two counties.
2001 - All-Ireland QF victory over Tyrone and the totally distraught BBC presenter.
2006 - Another handy win against the most pointless (well for 37 minutes) All-Ireland champions ever.

Bastid!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: ONeill on May 20, 2016, 09:39:17 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on May 19, 2016, 09:58:27 PM
In chronological order.

1985 - Declan McNicholl's late penalty to sent the then Ulster champions back over the Sperrins from Ballinascreen.
1991 - Damien Cassidy's almost equally late goal to send us victorious back over the Sperrins from Omagh.
1992 - The Tyrone defence failing to deal with a late 45 dropping into the square in the NFL final.
1992 - The Tyrone men being dispatched with considerable ease for the second time in a few days.
1993 - Bringing Sam across the Blackwater for the first time.
1993 - Our club's only appearance in the Derry SFC final.
1995 - Dublin ending a twelve year famine to win Sam. Unthinkable now.
1997 - Destroying a three-in-a-row seeking Tyrone outfit 2-15 to 2-3, still the most one-sided game between the two counties.
2001 - All-Ireland QF victory over Tyrone and the totally distraught BBC presenter.
2006 - Another handy win against the most pointless (well for 37 minutes) All-Ireland champions ever.

Bastid!

I was hoping for more from yourself and your fellow bushmen. Great memories, though a lifetime ago now.

ONeill

'Back over the Sperrins...to think again'. Probably an anthem in that.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Back through Newbuildings to think again.

bannside

1.In number one spot undisputably Antrim hurlers beating Offaly in 89.

2. Antrim ending 20 years without a football championship win beating Down in 2000. I cried like a baby for 20 minutes. I had bought 100 Antrim flags and got my county under sixteen panel at the time to carry them into the crowd for some colour.

3. Antrim footballers in Tullamore 2009 taking Kerry to the wire. I had coached ten of the starting team from under 16 to U 21 and to see them mixing it with the best was a joy. Some of the lads mentioned above were playing. Kerry went on to win Sam. Proud as hell .

4. Our club won county under 21 championship two years ago.First big success. Four sons on the team including captain. Huge night that will never be forgotten.

5. My Dad taking me to see Celtic beating Real Madrid 2-0 at Celtic Park in the European Cup in 1978.

6. Was at Loftus Road to see Barry beat a great champion Pedroza.

7. Italia 90. Was at first four games including England (Sheedy equaliser in the rain) and in Genoa when we beat Romania after extra time.

8. Seeing Dipmac owned by a friend win the Irish greyhound derby.

9. The first week of February in Clonmel. Unmissable.

10. Going through the card at Tralee races in 82. Met a man there who owned a pub that was going badly and had put us out a few times for being rowdy during the festival. We had a tip for one from Dermot Weld in the first and we (and the publican) backed it from 6/1. Won easily. Went right through the card and the publican won enough to buy 3 pubs. Remained a great friend up until his death a few years ago. His son played for Kerry and has 3 All Ireland medals. Priceless.