Sports stars you remember from when you were a kid

Started by seafoid, May 11, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newbridge Exile

Johnny Rep , Mario Kempes, JPR Williams,Dusty Hare,Fergus Slattery,Roscoe Tanner , Gordon McQueen , Sean Doherty and Tim Kennelly

moysider

Gilsey, Cruff and Muller.
Joe Corcoran, John Morley, Tedd Webb. Kearins, Earley.
Gibson, Slattery, McBride, Edwards, Bennett.
Frazier.
Eamonn Coughlan.
Captain Christy and L'escargot.

Lar Naparka

Here's 20 in no particular order, just off the top of my head:
Willie John McBride, Colin Meads, Sean Purcell, Jinking Joe, John Morley, Mick Ruane, Gerry O'Malley.
Christy Ring, Willy Rackard, Hopper McGrath,
Ballymoss, Shergar, Arkle, Charley Hurley, Pele, Eusebio, Sonny Liston, Sugar Ray Robinson, Archie Moore, Maria Bueno.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

dĂșnros

all gaa, I know, but here goes, what spings to memory ('74 onwards);
alan larkin and sean Doherty almost murdering mickey-ned (after paddy reilly ,georgie Wilson and gay o'driscoll failed to do so !),
liam sammon putting paddy Cullen the wrong way but he still managed to save it,
seamus darby and that little nudge, 
colman Corrigan (just love that name),
Joachim Kelly (love that name, i'll bet no child has being christened that in 30yrs !, what a hurler too)
john egan (THE most underrated star of that team),
tony McManus,(rossies great forward,)
tony doran (and hurls being broke off the back of his arm inside the 21 at the railway end),
larry Tomkins (the greatest centre-half forward ever to stand on grass),
ger Henderson (warrior, blood spattered warrior),
phil fran and Sylvie linnane (take your very life),
kevin O'Brien (rarely mentioned, but wicklows legend was as fine a player as ive seen),
kevin kehily (a full back who used to dummie his way out with the ball, nowadays a manager would shoot him, literally),
mcinerney,keady, finnerty (was there ever a greater half back line ?)
joe Dooley (and his brothers)
jacko (its like the gaa version of pele or zico....short name, one word and everyone knows, THE greatest all-rounder that ever played)   
matt "the thrasher" connor (would have been, barring injury,the greatest forward of them all).

SCFC

Was there ever a name as good as Raimondo D'Inzeo? A show jumper, possibly Italian or Brazilian. I wanted to be him or Bryan Robson or Tom "Curly" Prendergast.

Avondhu star

Miah Dennehy Sean Drea.Ben Hannigan of Shelbourne Jackie Jameson. Seamus Killoran of Roscommon Declan Bonner
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Avondhu star

Quote from: SCFC on May 14, 2016, 06:56:33 PM
Was there ever a name as good as Raimondo D'Inzeo? A show jumper, possibly Italian or Brazilian. I wanted to be him or Bryan Robson or Tom "Curly" Prendergast.
Raimondo D,Inzeo. Now thats a name from the late 60s early 70s. In single channel land we used come in on summer evenings to watch him and Harvey Smith at the showjumping.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

johnneycool

Zico
Socrates
Junior

1982 world cup finals.. beaten by the friggin Italians.

fearglasmor

Tony McTeague and Willy Bryan
Rudi VanDerKerkoff Paul Breitner
Ali Fraser Foreman and Norton (Cooney)
Daley Thompson Steve Ovett
Jockey Wilson and Bobby George
George O'Connor and Joe McKenna
Terry Griffiths and Ray Reardon
Paul Mariner and Charlie George and Alan Clarke
Matt Connor.

Forgot Nastase Borg Connors McEnroe Gueralaitas Pecci
Wade Barker Navratilova Evert Stove

Denn Forever

Mick O'Connell.  Have in my mind that he played for Cavan on year.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

moysider

Quote from: johnneycool on May 16, 2016, 12:01:34 PM
Zico
Socrates
Junior

1982 world cup finals.. beaten by the friggin Italians.

Throw in Falcao an Cerezo as well. Wasn't exactly a kid by then but still my that team just blew me away. They were beaten so were not the best team ever but imo they were the best to watch. A couple of glitches caught them out. I was gutted when they lost even though I have always been an Italophile. And that Italian team was brilliant.
Socrates my favourite footballer ever.
Socrates my fav. player ever.

Keyser soze

Quote from: Avondhu star on May 14, 2016, 07:15:57 PM
Raimondo D,Inzeo. Now thats a name from the late 60s early 70s. In single channel land we used come in on summer evenings to watch him and Harvey Smith at the showjumping.

Fritz Ligges was a great name too

passedit

Dan Mc Cartan, Colm Mc Alarney, John Brown, Peter Rooney
Steve Heighway, Alec Lindsay,Dixie Deans, Danny Mc Grain, Dalgleish, Keegan, Toshack, Charlie effin George
Willie John, Alun Martin, Andy Irvine, David Duckham
Ali, Frazier, Foreman.
Mick Mc Manus, Jackie Pallo, catweazel
Jimmy Connors, Arthur Ashe, Stan Smith, Lew Hoad, Evonne Goolagong, Chris Evert
Evel Kneivel and Meadowlark Lemon
Don't Panic

seafoid

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 18, 2016, 09:32:46 AM
Quote from: Avondhu star on May 14, 2016, 07:15:57 PM

Fritz Ligges was a great name too
Walid Junbalat was a Lebanese militia leader rather than a sportsman

ck

Remember going to my first Sligo match and seeing Mickey Kearns score about 2-10. He was unreal