2016 Leinster Football Championship

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, May 09, 2016, 09:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 26, 2016, 08:17:56 PM
Fair play to Meath for trying their best and only losing by 10 points. Dublin might not get a tougher game until
September.

I dunno. Meath football should be insulted because Dublin didn't take them seriously enough to cut loose.

Sandy Hill

Quote from: moysider on June 26, 2016, 10:42:40 PM
Fair play to Meath for trying their best and only losing by 10 points. Dublin might not get a tougher game until
September.

I dunno. Meath football should be insulted because Dublin didn't take them seriously enough to cut loose.

If this is true,and looking at the match it seemed to be the case, who took the decision to take this approach? Was it the players on the pitch or did Gavin instruct them to do so?
"Stercus accidit"

moysider

Quote from: Sandy Hill on June 26, 2016, 10:58:10 PM
Quote from: moysider on June 26, 2016, 10:42:40 PM
September.

If this is true,and looking at the match it seemed to be the case, who took the decision to take this approach? Was it the players on the pitch or did Gavin instruct them to do so?

It probably wasn't a deliberate approach by anybody.

Rossfan

It's all the bloody oul' GPA's fault.

Better put a  ;D for the Ulster bucks.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Mclf on June 26, 2016, 08:58:58 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 26, 2016, 08:41:38 PM
what i notice about Dublin compared to other teams is that they have 6 scoring forwards plus another 3 off the bench,  no other county has that forward power

Roscommon

;D

Croí na hÉireann

Wasn't pretty on Sunday but this team doesn't know when its beaten, another big second half swing from them. Worked the goal really well but what was the Kildare man doing rushing out from James Dolan leaving him free in the penalty area? Kamikaze. Loved the step away Jimmy took from the keeper to give him that extra space to find a spot to tuck it into. He was my man of the match too, probably the finest game he's ever had for Westmeath. Sharry and Egan in the engine room were superb as well and we took some nice points in the second half once we got motoring. Kevin Maguire did a really good job on Flynn although Boyle sweeping presence made life easier than normal.

Great to get only our second ever win over Kildare in championship and to make the Leinster final for the second year in a row. Now if someone could step up in Davy Byrne's absence and create some controversy in a challenge match it may take Dublin's eye off the ball again and improve our chances of catching them off guard.

Up Westmeath.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 28, 2016, 11:30:42 AM
Wasn't pretty on Sunday but this team doesn't know when its beaten, another big second half swing from them. Worked the goal really well but what was the Kildare man doing rushing out from James Dolan leaving him free in the penalty area? Kamikaze. Loved the step away Jimmy took from the keeper to give him that extra space to find a spot to tuck it into. He was my man of the match too, probably the finest game he's ever had for Westmeath. Sharry and Egan in the engine room were superb as well and we took some nice points in the second half once we got motoring. Kevin Maguire did a really good job on Flynn although Boyle sweeping presence made life easier than normal.

Great to get only our second ever win over Kildare in championship and to make the Leinster final for the second year in a row. Now if someone could step up in Davy Byrne's absence and create some controversy in a challenge match it may take Dublin's eye off the ball again and improve our chances of catching them off guard.

Up Westmeath.

Congratulations on your win Croí, the difference between the two teams after Kildare went in front by 6 was palpable Kildare were afraid to win Westmeath were afraid to lose, attitude is everything at our level.
#newbridgeornowhere

Unlaoised

The ten minute Spell when Laois reduced the gap to 6 points against the Dubs with two goals in that spell is about exciting as Leinster football has got this year...

Congrats to Westmeath on reaching a second LEinster final in a row...

Id say Offaly can't wait to get a go at the Lillys in the back door!
LAOIS ABÚ

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2016, 12:26:24 PM

Up Westmeath.

Congratulations on your win Croí, the difference between the two teams after Kildare went in front by 6 was palpable Kildare were afraid to win Westmeath were afraid to lose, attitude is everything at our level.

Yeah, there was a certain element of caught in the headlights alright, Niall Kelly getting the black card was a huge moment I thought. Key injuries didn't help ye either but delighted with the win. Now hopefully we can show a bit more of that attitude in the final.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 28, 2016, 02:56:33 PM

Up Westmeath.

Yeah, there was a certain element of caught in the headlights alright, Niall Kelly getting the black card was a huge moment I thought. Key injuries didn't help ye either but delighted with the win. Now hopefully we can show a bit more of that attitude in the final.

Nothing going into the quibbles over Kelly or the disallowed goal, in isolation they might look pivotal and very debatable but overall our performance was a shambles. Hopefully a full year under O'Neill will make year 2 somewhat better. Never seen such rational anger on the Kildare forum.

Look attitude is everything, go for goals I say.
#newbridgeornowhere

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2016, 03:31:48 PM

Up Westmeath.

Nothing going into the quibbles over Kelly or the disallowed goal, in isolation they might look pivotal and very debatable but overall our performance was a shambles. Hopefully a full year under O'Neill will make year 2 somewhat better. Never seen such rational anger on the Kildare forum.

Absolutely, goals are key. To beat Dublin you need to score at least two goals while keeping a clean sheet the other end of the pitch. Dubs still like to play in front even with Cian O'Sullivan sweeping so I'd be looking to send in low trajectory missiles to see if we can work a one on one. Eastmeath executed one of these moves in the first half but your man got the fear and missed connecting with the ball completely.

AZOffaly

I think to beat Dublin you need to score 10 goals, and set up a barbed wire trench 30 yards from your own goals. Simples.

Jinxy

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 28, 2016, 03:40:20 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2016, 03:31:48 PM

Up Westmeath.

Absolutely, goals are key. To beat Dublin you need to score at least two goals while keeping a clean sheet the other end of the pitch. Dubs still like to play in front even with Cian O'Sullivan sweeping so I'd be looking to send in low trajectory missiles to see if we can work a one on one. Eastmeath executed one of these moves in the first half but your man got the fear and missed connecting with the ball completely.

Yeah, that was... unfortunate.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

Team named for Sunday, Callum McCormack in for John Connellan. John a big loss, hopefully he's able to come in as an impact sub. Looking forward to it now, I think we'll put in a performance anyway and once we do ourselves justice I'll be happy with that.

Up Westmeath!

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

I don't think anyone cares, I know plenty of people are avoiding the minor game as there is no appetite to see the seniors, a sad state of affairs. Of course best of luck to Westmeath anyway.