Author Topic: Limerick Hurling - A millionaires playground.  (Read 12552 times)

clonadmad

• View Profile
Re: Limerick Hurling - A millionaires playground.
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2021, 06:35:38 PM »
I can't see Limerick staying on year after. top for a sustained period as there are at least a half dozen teams of roughly equal merit.
In no particular  order, Galway, Tipp, Kilkenny, Clare, Waterford or Wexford, with Dublin as a long shot, could win next year.

Nah, it's between Limerick and Galway for me with Waterford next. The rest are a bit off that standard IMO.

Not sure about Galway - i think they need an injection of youth and pace.  The thing is that they have loads of talent coming though - serious underage talent.

Tipp are similar to Galway - a good few lads have won a couple of All-Ireland and the squad needs a freshen up but they have 3 or 4 lads who'll come straight in also.

Fresh impetus is always a requirement but for my mind Galway went toe to toe with Limerick the longest and were hit with Mannions injury as he was having a big impact on their gameplan and it kinda went astray a bit when he had to leave the field. The extra weeks rest stood to Limerick, Galway had a tough slog against Tipp on a sodden Gaelic grounds the Saturday before.

With both fresh I think Galway would be best placed to give Limerick a serious rattle.

I always though Limerick were holding Galway at arm's length - never looked like they were going to beat them.

Galway were very lucky to beat Tipp - Harte, of all people, got the goal very near the end - at the death.  Up to that, it was 50/50.  Two similar matched teams.

Probably main point from that game was the sending off of Barret.  Had he not got the second yellow, Tipp would have won I think.  There's very little between Tipp and Galway, as recent games have shown.

Limerick are a good bit ahead, especially in age profile.  They only need one or two to break onto the panel.  Look at their bench - Peter Casey, Pat Ryan and Reidy etc. Never mind the two lads in defence coming back into the full back line. Flanagan, on as a sub in recent games but stars and get full forward and keeps his place.  Serious competition for places.

Can't say the same for Galway or Tipp.  Tipp and Galway need a serious injection of youth.

Youd presume with galway winning 3 in a row minors 17-19 and potentially the  20202 u20 and with tipp wining the u21 in 18 and u20 in 19 the injection of youth is on its way.

But it'll take these minors and U20's a couple of years to get into it right - wait and see.  It'll not be to they're 24 or 25, at least before you see them develop properly.

Some of those lads played in 2020 championship and didnt look out of place,Evan Niland being one,Id expect 2/3 to come in,in both counties this year and make an impact

marty34

• View Profile
Re: Limerick Hurling - A millionaires playground.
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2021, 07:44:19 PM »
I can't see Limerick staying on year after. top for a sustained period as there are at least a half dozen teams of roughly equal merit.
In no particular  order, Galway, Tipp, Kilkenny, Clare, Waterford or Wexford, with Dublin as a long shot, could win next year.

Nah, it's between Limerick and Galway for me with Waterford next. The rest are a bit off that standard IMO.

Not sure about Galway - i think they need an injection of youth and pace.  The thing is that they have loads of talent coming though - serious underage talent.

Tipp are similar to Galway - a good few lads have won a couple of All-Ireland and the squad needs a freshen up but they have 3 or 4 lads who'll come straight in also.

Fresh impetus is always a requirement but for my mind Galway went toe to toe with Limerick the longest and were hit with Mannions injury as he was having a big impact on their gameplan and it kinda went astray a bit when he had to leave the field. The extra weeks rest stood to Limerick, Galway had a tough slog against Tipp on a sodden Gaelic grounds the Saturday before.

With both fresh I think Galway would be best placed to give Limerick a serious rattle.

I always though Limerick were holding Galway at arm's length - never looked like they were going to beat them.

Galway were very lucky to beat Tipp - Harte, of all people, got the goal very near the end - at the death.  Up to that, it was 50/50.  Two similar matched teams.

Probably main point from that game was the sending off of Barret.  Had he not got the second yellow, Tipp would have won I think.  There's very little between Tipp and Galway, as recent games have shown.

Limerick are a good bit ahead, especially in age profile.  They only need one or two to break onto the panel.  Look at their bench - Peter Casey, Pat Ryan and Reidy etc. Never mind the two lads in defence coming back into the full back line. Flanagan, on as a sub in recent games but stars and get full forward and keeps his place.  Serious competition for places.

Can't say the same for Galway or Tipp.  Tipp and Galway need a serious injection of youth.

Youd presume with galway winning 3 in a row minors 17-19 and potentially the  20202 u20 and with tipp wining the u21 in 18 and u20 in 19 the injection of youth is on its way.

But it'll take these minors and U20's a couple of years to get into it right - wait and see.  It'll not be to they're 24 or 25, at least before you see them develop properly.

Some of those lads played in 2020 championship and didnt look out of place,Evan Niland being one,Id expect 2/3 to come in,in both counties this year and make an impact

Did he play in the NHL this past couple of years?

Concannon also has been floating about this past couple of years but has made a huge impression this championship.