Best Museum you have visited...

Started by 5 Sams, May 02, 2016, 06:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubh driocht

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 03, 2016, 09:18:57 AM
The Brits have it nailed. Science Museum and British Museum within spitting distance of one another are both class. Natural History Museum likewise. Berlin Wall Museum very good also. Beaulieu motor museum in England is worth a visit.
Tony- I agree about the Science Museum and the British Museum but it's the Natural History or V and A that are beside the Science Museum- the British Museum is in Bloomsbury

Orior

Quote from: The Iceman on May 03, 2016, 12:04:14 AM
went to the air and space museum once but there was nothing there

Good one! I'm gonna re-use that.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Dubh driocht on May 03, 2016, 05:46:42 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 03, 2016, 09:18:57 AM
The Brits have it nailed. Science Museum and British Museum within spitting distance of one another are both class. Natural History Museum likewise. Berlin Wall Museum very good also. Beaulieu motor museum in England is worth a visit.
Tony- I agree about the Science Museum and the British Museum but it's the Natural History or V and A that are beside the Science Museum- the British Museum is in Bloomsbury
;D I was in them last year too!

Bord na Mona man

The best I've been to are the Smithsonian ones in Washington.

Others worth a mention:
- British Museum, London, Yeah lots of stuff they robbed, but probably safer there than back in Egypt.
- Auschwitz-Birkenau, Poland - Unreal

omaghjoe

Quote from: CiKe on May 03, 2016, 10:16:24 AM
I loved Te Papa in Wellington and Kon Tiki in Oslo

Tuol Sleng or S21 in Phomn Penh was gruesome and spine chilling. Not a museum, but Che's mausoleum in Santa Clara made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up  like never before.

Nasty place, you defo go away feeling bleak. My neighbour at work has a Cambodian wife,so I was chatting to him about Cambodia one day and it turns out that feckin place was her school before the Khymer Rouge sailed into town!

On the main subject I would say Natural History in New York and the British Museum are very good, would like to visit both again. But for me the Lourve romps to victory here, the place is amazing, been to it 3 or 4 times and still only seen a fraction.

muppet

Quote from: CiKe on May 03, 2016, 05:22:07 PM
Quote from: Rois on May 03, 2016, 11:01:57 AM
Quote from: CiKe on May 03, 2016, 10:16:24 AM
I loved Te Papa in Wellington and Kon Tiki in Oslo

Yes agree, that one is awesome.

Normally i couldn't spend more than an hour in a museum - the walking slowly seems to kills me for some reason - but happily spent about 4 hours in Te Papa.

I especially like small museums when you have kids with you.

Checkpoint Charlie was great in that regard and some quaint little museum in Barcelona with Wooly Mammoths was perfect for the family.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

The most striking thing about Auschwitz for me was the picture of the naked women about to be murdered. How could the Nazis do that to women, to see them as vermin