Referees panel 2016

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, April 27, 2016, 09:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 29, 2016, 02:04:59 PM
Was thinking last Sunday at the league finals that the advantage rule has been implemented quite well by most refs now and it really has helped the game though fans often are crying out for a free but don't notice the ref's hand up for the free.

The other thing though that is still up in the air is the black card. There is so much confusion about it I feel that often there is a foul but because the player falls to the ground it can be construed as a cynical drag down rather than a bad tackle and just a free. I think they need to revisit the wording of it so that it only targets CLEAR drag down or trips to purposely stop the attacking player from making progress.
At the moment a tackle in the first 5 mins will often escape a black card but the same tackle in the final 5 mins would receive one.
I think the wording includes the word "intentional" or "deliberate" (although I could be wrong). I don't think changing the wording is going to reduce spectator ignorance. A player knows that he commits a deliberate foul, other than a jersey pull unfortunately, that he/she should expect a black card.

Beffs

Quote from: muppet on April 29, 2016, 01:49:50 PM
Fellas complimenting refs from their own county isn't much value, as they never have to suffer them for real.

Equally though I would rather a neutral's view of a ref that officiates a match, rather than that a supporter of one of the counties involved. It is incredibly difficult for the men in black as, in any given incident, there can be a number of offences simultaneously (e.g. pulling & dragging versus over-carrying). When the ref calls it one way, the other team and supporters are outraged, particularly in tight big games.

I know I can be apoplectic with a ref and then be astonished to hear opposition fans who are equally annoyed with him. Who'd be a ref?

Also, teams set out to intimidate refs, surrounding the ref or flapping their arms wildly at every decision etc., which winds up their own supporters as well, which increases the pressure on the ref.

Regarding Cormac Reilly, I would refer to the general consensus in the media and on these boards from neutrals at the time and I'll leave it at that. But I do have sympathy for him. The game is almost unreffable (if that is a word) at times.

I have sympathy for refs who makes honest mistakes, as they didn't see what really happened, or they thought they did, but the replays later show they got it wrong. Without the benefit of instant replays and TMO's, we have to expect mistakes to happen. I have sympathy for those refs who make individual mistakes at certain moments. They don't deserve the treatment they get in the media, or from spectators. But Reilly was so spectacularly awful throughout the entire Mayo/Kerry game, it is hard to have sympathy for him.

joemamas

Quote from: Throw ball on April 29, 2016, 02:04:36 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 29, 2016, 01:58:11 PM
Quote from: Canalman on April 29, 2016, 12:08:01 PM
Quote from: maigheo on April 28, 2016, 11:59:52 PM
Have always liked Hughes and he gets a lot of unwarranted criticism.I have always been amused how a fan in the stand 50 or 60 yards away can see whether a decision is right or wrong over a ref who is normally no more than 10 or 15 yards away from the play.

Totally agree. One thing I like about him is that he is consistent. Imo of course. Plenty on here would beg to differ it seems.
I've always had time for Paudie, and think that he applies the rules well, and exposes the ignorance of some spectators. I'd like to see him get an AI as he'll be retired before he gets an Armagh final.

Only one thing though - did he not referee the 2009 county final between Harps and Pearse Ogs!

He is probably not the worst ref, but what really bothers the shit out of me is that, he seems to have the Napoleon complex or a boy scout troop leader (apologies to all who may be offended), and seems to have the need to show one and all that he is firmly in control, with any regard for fluency of the game or for the fans who have paid to get in.
Memo to Paudie, they don't pay to see you.  I better stop before this becomes a complete rant.

Jinxy

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 29, 2016, 08:40:39 AM
Quote from: redzone on April 28, 2016, 07:31:48 PM
Sean Hurson the Tyrone ref is pretty decent
No he's not and he can't tell the time!

Struggling to think of a decent ref from Tyrone in the last five years.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Throw ball

Quote from: Jinxy on April 29, 2016, 09:20:28 PM

Struggling to think of a decent ref from Tyrone in the last five years.

To be fair I feel Applesisapples is being a bit harsh. I have seen Hurson referee a few games and think he is better than most. I do feel, however, he made a monument a mistake in his timekeeping in the Armagh v Galway game which ultimately led to Armagh being relegated.

skeog

pauric hughes will be in contention this year imo

maigheo

Thought Hughes had an excellent game today .Keeps up with the play and is consistent in his application of the rules

From the Bunker

Quote from: maigheo on April 30, 2016, 10:55:28 PM
Thought Hughes had an excellent game today .Keeps up with the play and is consistent in his application of the rules

Thought we got most of the Marginal Calls. Especially for one of the two goals in the first half where DOC won the ball with a toe poke!

maigheo

Refs will allow a toe poke in most instances if there is no contact with the opposing player and it happened a few times today.

clarshack

He's a biased ref imo.  I wouldn't be keen on him.

I also wouldn't be keen on a lot of names on that list. I think there will be a few controversies guaranteed this summer!

Faugheen

Anthony Nolan from Wicklow....Enough said  :o :o

Applesisapples

Quote from: Throw ball on April 29, 2016, 02:04:36 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 29, 2016, 01:58:11 PM
Quote from: Canalman on April 29, 2016, 12:08:01 PM
Quote from: maigheo on April 28, 2016, 11:59:52 PM
Have always liked Hughes and he gets a lot of unwarranted criticism.I have always been amused how a fan in the stand 50 or 60 yards away can see whether a decision is right or wrong over a ref who is normally no more than 10 or 15 yards away from the play.

Totally agree. One thing I like about him is that he is consistent. Imo of course. Plenty on here would beg to differ it seems.
I've always had time for Paudie, and think that he applies the rules well, and exposes the ignorance of some spectators. I'd like to see him get an AI as he'll be retired before he gets an Armagh final.

Only one thing though - did he not referee the 2009 county final between Harps and Pearse Ogs!
Not sure forgot about that one  :)

sligoman2

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Applesisapples

Quote from: sligoman2 on May 10, 2016, 01:43:13 PM
http://m.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0510/787392-flynn-standard-of-gaa-referees-not-acceptable/

Interesting and truthful comment from Bernarf Flynn on ref standards
Not strictly correct, umpires tend to be club mates/friends/family. Linesmen are referee's on the relevant panel. But he is correct you could count the number of good refs on one hand. Kiran on Sunday got key decisions wrong for both teams. He gave a free out at one stage in the last quarter when the Clare forward was clearly belted in the face and needed treatment, that should have been a 20m free which balanced out the softer one given to Waterford near the end. I don't think he unduly influenced the outcome which really was in the balance in the last 3 minutes. Over the course of the game he made poor decisions both ways but hurling is an incredibly hard game to referee particularly at the top level with the speed of the game. Southern officials tend to let more go to keep flow in the game and when you start down that road then not everyone is going to be happy. On the other hand blow every foul and managers, commentators, spectators and the hurlers on the ditch will bitch about the ref being whistle happy. But apply the rules consistently in hurling and the game will be stop start.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 10, 2016, 01:58:10 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on May 10, 2016, 01:43:13 PM
http://m.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0510/787392-flynn-standard-of-gaa-referees-not-acceptable/

Interesting and truthful comment from Bernarf Flynn on ref standards
Not strictly correct, umpires tend to be club mates/friends/family. Linesmen are referee's on the relevant panel. But he is correct you could count the number of good refs on one hand. Kiran on Sunday got key decisions wrong for both teams. He gave a free out at one stage in the last quarter when the Clare forward was clearly belted in the face and needed treatment, that should have been a 20m free which balanced out the softer one given to Waterford near the end. I don't think he unduly influenced the outcome which really was in the balance in the last 3 minutes. Over the course of the game he made poor decisions both ways but hurling is an incredibly hard game to referee particularly at the top level with the speed of the game. Southern officials tend to let more go to keep flow in the game and when you start down that road then not everyone is going to be happy. On the other hand blow every foul and managers, commentators, spectators and the hurlers on the ditch will bitch about the ref being whistle happy. But apply the rules consistently in hurling and the game will be stop start.

He was too far away to see that hit on the Clare lads helmet ..... but again not his fault as the ball was hammered up there 60 yards in a few seconds to get a good view of it.. Bolt would struggle  to keep up with hurling at that level.... considering it was a tough match I thought he did well.. he consulted lines men and umpires throughout the game and applied the rules as best he could .... hes not there to let the game flow, I feel as long as you are consistent for both teams then there really is no complaints from either team... I'd have sent off wee Davy though... he loses control too much
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea