Dublin

Started by ashman, April 24, 2016, 05:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beffs

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 19, 2016, 02:23:06 PM
I disagree AZ and not just cos I'm from Tyrone.
I think listening to a few of that team what lost to Tyrone those 3 times during the noughties, now that they are retired I think they would have happily sacrificed two wins v Mayo or Cork for one against us, to put us in our place.
It's the same now against Dublin I feel. They have really got under their skin and when you have as many AIs as Kerry have its all about beating your biggest rivals not to just add another one to the belt. I could be wrong though.

You tend to notice Kerry can be nice in defeat if a team beats them in a once off but they are a different animal when they reckon you are getting one over on them. They are used to coming to Croker ever summer expecting to win but they now find themselves expecting to lose to the Dubs year after year.

Not so sure about that. Watched Daragh O'Se being interviewed last year. He was asked that very question - would you trade a couple of your "softer" All Irelands (sorry Mayo & Cork) for one win against Tyrone in their pomp. He said no way...having the Celtic Cross is what matters most, not who you had to beat, or didn't beat, to get it.

Then again, a Tyrone man was sitting beside him on the sofa. He was smirking widely at the question even being asked. So maybe Daragh didn't want to give him the satisfaction of knowing how badly all the loses to Tyrone hurt.

screenexile

I think listening to a few of that team what lost to Tyrone those 3 times during the noughties, now that they are retired I think they would have happily sacrificed two wins v Mayo or Cork for one against us, to put us in our place.
It's the same now against Dublin I feel. They have really got under their skin and when you have as many AIs as Kerry have its all about beating your biggest rivals not to just add another one to the belt. I could be wrong though.

You tend to notice Kerry can be nice in defeat if a team beats them in a once off but they are a different animal when they reckon you are getting one over on them. They are used to coming to Croker ever summer expecting to win but they now find themselves expecting to lose to the Dubs year after year.

Madness... History will show Kerry were the team of the Noughties winning 5 All Ireland to Tyrone's 3 not that Tyrone beat them a few times over the decade. People make it out as if Tyrone weren't in the same competition the years they didn't win it or that they took time off or something!

AZOffaly

I'm sure it hurts them not have beaten Tyrone more often, and I'm sure the current lads are sick of the sight of Dublin. But in Kerry they ask 'How many All Irelands medals have you?', not 'Who did you beat to get them?'.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Beffs on May 19, 2016, 02:36:49 PM

Not so sure about that. Watched Daragh O'Se being interviewed last year. He was asked that very question - would you trade a couple of your "softer" All Irelands (sorry Mayo & Cork) for one win against Tyrone in their pomp. He said no way...having the Celtic Cross is what matters most, not who you had to beat, or didn't beat, to get it.

Then again, a Tyrone man was sitting beside him on the sofa. He was smirking widely at the question even being asked. So maybe Daragh didn't want to give him the satisfaction of knowing how badly all the loses to Tyrone hurt.

Are you joking me? Did you see how Kerry players celebrated when they beat Tyrone in 2012. Paul Galvin cried like a baby! The last couple of years Dara has worked as a co-commentator for Sky. In every game involving Tyrone, You can hear in his voice the disgust when Tyrone would pull away at the end of a game. The hurt is there!

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 19, 2016, 02:40:33 PM
I'm sure it hurts them not have beaten Tyrone more often, and I'm sure the current lads are sick of the sight of Dublin. But in Kerry they ask 'How many All Irelands medals have you?', not 'Who did you beat to get them?'.

Of course Only medals are looked at - It's the same in every county, nobody ever looks at the loser. But that group were/are haunted by their record against Tyrone during that period.

AZOffaly

You're mixing up two things. The hypothesis was that Kerry value the All Irelands they have won less than one they would have won v Tyrone (or Dublin). I do not believe that to be the case, because as I've said, all they care about is celtic crosses in their arse pocket. They don't give a shite who they beat in a final, as long as they are the ones winning it.

*However* I do agree that the problems they had with Tyrone did get under their skin, no doubt about it, and the same with the current lads and Dublin. But beating them (Tyrone or Dublin) anywhere would go a long way to relieving that, it doesn't have to be an All Ireland.

Beffs

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 19, 2016, 02:50:16 PM

Are you joking me? Did you see how Kerry players celebrated when they beat Tyrone in 2012. Paul Galvin cried like a baby! The last couple of years Dara has worked as a co-commentator for Sky. In every game involving Tyrone, You can hear in his voice the disgust when Tyrone would pull away at the end of a game. The hurt is there!

Of course Only medals are looked at - It's the same in every county, nobody ever looks at the loser. But that group were/are haunted by their record against Tyrone during that period.

No, I'm not joking. I just recounted what the man said. I didn't make it up. I never said that finally beating Tyrone in 2012 didn't mean a lot to them. Of course it did. But that Tyrone team in 2012, was no longer in their pomp. They had been on the slide for a couple of years. Kerry beating them in a qualifier at home, when both teams were in rebuilding mode, is not going to ease the sting of losing 3 All Ireland finals in a row to them in Croke Park, when both counties where at the peak of their powers.

Rossfan

Do players really put All Ireland medals in their are pockets??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on May 19, 2016, 03:03:14 PM
Do players really put All Ireland medals in their are pockets??

In Kerry they sometimes get mixed up with 2 euro coins.

ashman

Quote from: Beffs on May 15, 2016, 02:59:26 PM
I'm having a hard time seeing how a 5 day, warm weather training camp in the middle of April is going to benefit you massively in August or September. I understand the sports science behind them, but there is such a big gap between when these training camps take place and the champo really gets going, can they really be of that much use, in the heat of championship? I think it's interesting that the Dubs don't go on them.

Dublin don't have to .  All the players are based in dublin and the facilities at DCU are as good as most.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Beffs on May 19, 2016, 03:02:32 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 19, 2016, 02:50:16 PM

No, I'm not joking. I just recounting what the man said. I didn't make it up. I never said that finally beating Tyrone in 2012 didn't mean a lot to them. Of course it did. But that Tyrone team in 2012, was no longer in their pomp. They had been on the slide for a couple of years. Kerry beating them in a qualifier at home, when both teams were in rebuilding mode, is not going to ease the sting of losing 3 All Ireland finals in a row to them in Croke Park, when both counties where at the peak of their powers.

2 finals and a semi final
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Rossfan

2003, 2005 and 2008 are not 3 years in a row ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Beffs

Quote from: Rossfan on May 19, 2016, 03:11:54 PM
2003, 2005 and 2008 are not 3 years in a row ;)

I meant 3 defeats to them in a row. ;)

Fuzzman

ScreenExile it doesn't take much to get a rise out of you although you've not been saying much in the Derry v Tyrone thread except play down your chances.

I don't think there is much doubt Kerry won more AIs than Tyrone and so were the best team of the "noughties" so I don't know why you are making that point again.
The point I and a few others were making on here was that Tyrone really got under Kerry's skin and annoyed them during those years the same way that the Dubs are now.

The fact they beat Donegal in the 2014 AI final rather than Dublin will be an annoyance for them and their fans in a similar way than they had with Tyrone 10 years earlier. You would imagine Kerry are going to fall further behind with some of their better players getting old and struggling to match Dublin's athleticism.

On another note, I think it's always more rewarding for counties to beat Kerry in an AI final or along the way so you would imagine it would be the same now for Kerry to beat the Dubs rather than win one without beating them.

easytiger95

Heffo always said beating Kerry in a final was like a double All Ireland. I'd say if Kerry beat us in a final this year, no matter what kind of way they do it, it will be immediately put into the pantheon alongside 55, 75 and 78.

screenexile

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 19, 2016, 03:39:39 PM
ScreenExile it doesn't take much to get a rise out of you although you've not been saying much in the Derry v Tyrone thread except play down your chances.

I don't think there is much doubt Kerry won more AIs than Tyrone and so were the best team of the "noughties" so I don't know why you are making that point again.
The point I and a few others were making on here was that Tyrone really got under Kerry's skin and annoyed them during those years the same way that the Dubs are now.

The fact they beat Donegal in the 2014 AI final rather than Dublin will be an annoyance for them and their fans in a similar way than they had with Tyrone 10 years earlier. You would imagine Kerry are going to fall further behind with some of their better players getting old and struggling to match Dublin's athleticism.

On another note, I think it's always more rewarding for counties to beat Kerry in an AI final or along the way so you would imagine it would be the same now for Kerry to beat the Dubs rather than win one without beating them.

I don't argue at all with the point that Tyrone got under Kerry's skin they most definitely did but you were trying to imply that they would have sacrificed one of their "handy" All Ireland's for beating Tyrone in one?!!

I don't think that would ever be the case.