Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on April 25, 2016, 05:55:58 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 25, 2016, 05:35:31 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 25, 2016, 05:06:11 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 25, 2016, 03:22:42 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 25, 2016, 03:07:52 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on April 25, 2016, 01:03:19 PM
Was there an replay for the OMahoney Johnny Cooper incident?
Two lads well able to throw their weight around. O Mahoney at it for years and can't forget Coopers rake on Diarmuid O Connor in drawn semi and got in Seamus O Shea face enough to draw a black card in the replay.

Distant footage from the Canal End that really only shows that Kinsella didn't see the incident himself so the linesman must have made the call.

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 25, 2016, 02:22:34 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0425/784105-dublin-gaa/

No name credited but whoever wrote this definitely reads this board.

Peter Sweeney credited there now, hello Peter.

Comments below it are great, in fairness to the Dubs they are all on the same page. It's all just begrudgery.

You've got another stalker Dinny https://twitter.com/cormacpro/status/724623483465043968

He's a Mayo man living in Kildare, does a lot of good work on the GAA PR scene in North Kildare. He's just another anti-dub.

I could be wrong on this but I think Cormac is back living in Mayo now.

What did he do to deserve that?
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 25, 2016, 05:58:13 PM
Two lads well able to throw their weight around. O Mahoney at it for years and can't forget Coopers rake on Diarmuid O Connor in drawn semi and got in Seamus O Shea face enough to draw a black card in the replay.

Distant footage from the Canal End that really only shows that Kinsella didn't see the incident himself so the linesman must have made the call.

Comments below it are great, in fairness to the Dubs they are all on the same page. It's all just begrudgery.

You've got another stalker Dinny https://twitter.com/cormacpro/status/724623483465043968

He's a Mayo man living in Kildare, does a lot of good work on the GAA PR scene in North Kildare. He's just another anti-dub.

There are too many Dubs moving out to north Kildare driving up rents and house prices which is squeezing the poor country migrants out of the market.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on April 25, 2016, 06:00:50 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 25, 2016, 05:58:13 PM

There are too many Dubs moving out to north Kildare driving up rents and house prices which is squeezing the poor country migrants out of the market.

Dubs and their money, is there no end to it..
#newbridgeornowhere

INDIANA

Nobody is more consistent about whingeing then Kildare fans Dinny.

INDIANA

Quote from: ashman on April 25, 2016, 12:57:23 PM
Zulu

A fair point and all Dublin really need going forward is 2 from each u21 to push on .

My point is not anti Dublin per se but more the sustainability of IC football .

The Dublin team are on another level physically to any side in the GAA history.  The dice is loaded .  There is no beauty in the current situation where the sport is not competitive.

Yesterday is a close as it will get for at least 5 years .  Of course there might be an occasional ambush but in the main the AISF is going to be as competitive as the Armagh SFC in the coming years.

Dublin have been doing one pitch session one gym session a week during the league. They train less then everyone else.

I've no idea what half the counties do when they train 6 days a week.

We're not allowed have a great team. Only Kerry and Kilkenny are.

Kilkenny' dominance is greater then any other sports team in the world yet no word of it here

Doesn't suit the agenda

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 25, 2016, 05:53:09 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 25, 2016, 05:44:25 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 25, 2016, 04:57:40 PM

Sweeney concludes that Dublin cannot be split up which is missing the point.
It is desirable that there be a lot of people playing GAA in Dublin and the application of funding to achieve that is perfectly reasonable. What is not fair is that this large number of people playing is aggregated into population units, either club or county, which creates teams that distort national competitions.

And of course other counties too need to get their act together, which doesn't negate the above point.

I think, to be fair to everyone, we should split all of the counties that have won Sam since 2000.

And Roscommon, just in case like.

I'd actually be in favour of amalgamating Roscommon and Mayo. Mosco has a nice ring to it.
Kildare and Mayo would be a good merger

Rossfan

Quote from: INDIANA on April 25, 2016, 06:46:56 PM

Kilkenny' dominance is greater then any other sports team in the world yet no word of it here

Doesn't suit the agenda
Kilkenny hasn't got 1.3 m of a population, doesn't get more funds than the other 31 Counties put together, don't get 80% of their games in Nowlan Park.........and anyway it's only oul Hurley stuff.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: ashman on April 25, 2016, 12:57:23 PM
Zulu

A fair point and all Dublin really need going forward is 2 from each u21 to push on .

My point is not anti Dublin per se but more the sustainability of IC football .

The Dublin team are on another level physically to any side in the GAA history.  The dice is loaded .  There is no beauty in the current situation where the sport is not competitive.

Yesterday is a close as it will get for at least 5 years .  Of course there might be an occasional ambush but in the main the AISF is going to be as competitive as the Armagh SFC in the coming years.

Dublin have been doing one pitch session one gym session a week during the league. They train less then everyone else.

I've no idea what half the counties do when they train 6 days a week.

Doesn't suit the agenda
the Dubs should have won 3 in a
I always enjoy watching oul Bernard Brogan on tsg

seafoid

I love the Dub reaction. Very Herald ie "begrudgery" or like the line from welcome to St Tropez. Haters keep hating, f#cking these models.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on April 25, 2016, 07:15:12 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 25, 2016, 05:53:09 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 25, 2016, 05:44:25 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 25, 2016, 04:57:40 PM

Sweeney concludes that Dublin cannot be split up which is missing the point.
It is desirable that there be a lot of people playing GAA in Dublin and the application of funding to achieve that is perfectly reasonable. What is not fair is that this large number of people playing is aggregated into population units, either club or county, which creates teams that distort national competitions.

And of course other counties too need to get their act together, which doesn't negate the above point.

I think, to be fair to everyone, we should split all of the counties that have won Sam since 2000.

And Roscommon, just in case like.

I'd actually be in favour of amalgamating Roscommon and Mayo. Mosco has a nice ring to it.
Kildare and Mayo would be a good merger

So would Waterford and Galway in Hurling!  :P

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jinxy on April 25, 2016, 10:42:13 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 25, 2016, 10:24:23 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 25, 2016, 02:03:08 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on April 24, 2016, 09:46:32 PM
Quote from: redzone on April 24, 2016, 08:07:56 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on April 24, 2016, 08:02:35 PM
Quote from: redzone on April 24, 2016, 07:55:38 PM
If there's one team to topple the dubs it the red hands. We would aboulstey show them zero respect

That ship sailed in 2008
New team now. By respect I mean would have no fear. Not like these other clowns on here who seem to be shitting themselves over Dublin.we would have as good as devolpment structures as there is and if not this year then soon. Dublin is lucky that they have such a good bunch of players but give it a few years and the cycle will change

It will change with a few retirees. I can see the field being very even between 5/6 counties in about 3-5 years. Leinster will be still a cesspit however
Can't see that happening. The imbalance between urban and rural areas, the capital in particular,  will continue to grow at a steadily increasing pace. According to Marty Morrissey in a report on Ballyboden, the club fields over 50 teams. I mentioned this to a friend in Skerries and he told me that the Harps field over 70 teams! I'd wager that the dozen of Mayo's larger clubs wouldn't match that amount. Back in '91 (I think) a report commissioned by Central Council, stated that 5 Dublin clubs could field more underage players than any of five named counties. The situation has not gotten any better in the interim and that's for sure.
The main purpose of the report however was to examine and and assess the rate of fallout as younger players start to move up to the grades.
Dublin was by far the county with the highest drop out. Far more kids, percentage wise, joined GAA clubs than in any other county but the numbers leaving were equally well in front of any other county. Another big concern was that the percentage of those former players severed connection with the club they had played for.
I'd say that 90% plus of the population of Castlebar were solidly behind the Mitchels as they prepared for the final. The commission report referred to the penetration rate, the percentage of the local population that would support the local club.
Would the 'penetration rate' in Firhouse be in double figures? I very much doubt it. The GAA are losing their share of the market as it were, and nowhere as pronounced as in Dublin. The number of super clubs in Dublin is increasing while clubs in Mayo are amalgamating due to the effects of rural depopulation. There are many other counties in the same boat as Mayo and things are not going to change for any of them anytime soon.
If Dublin keep mopping up national titles while at the same time losing a larger and larger share of potential members and supporters, the outlook is bleak for the GAA in general.

Was driving around the area just before the club final and couldn't see ONE flag stuck out the window of a house. Apart from the flags and bunting outside their grounds you wouldn't have a clue anything was going on.

I saw plenty of flags around Rathfarnham.
`There was bound to be plenty of flags and bunting in some places as Boden is a big club but as Croi says, he was driving about the area and failed to see any. I mentioned Firhouse, in Boden's catchment region, as I have a nephew there who played underage hurling with the club and was a mad supporter in his younger days. Four or five of his mates played there with him so I expected to see a good few houses with Boden's colours but not a single one was to be seen.
The nephew doesn't dislike the club and he'd class himself as a Dub supporter but wearing a Dub jersey and heading to the pub to meet up with his mates whenever a Dublin match is televised is about as far as it goes for him.
Once one of his crowd dropped out, the rest followed suit and I know none of them bothers going near the club, let alone support it in any way. Needless, to say neither any of parents nor neighbours have the same sense of identification with the local club as you'll find in the small rural areas like Castlebar.
My point is that while, Boden is a successful club with a large number of members, it's share of the total market of potential supporters is slipping. When you realise that this is happening onn a county-wide scale, it's time to start worrying a bit....
Short term, doesn't matter...mid-term, maybe time to see what can be done... long-term, a niche sport for an elitist minority.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

INDIANA

Quote from: Rossfan on April 25, 2016, 07:50:28 PM

Doesn't suit the agenda
Kilkenny hasn't got 1.3 m of a population, doesn't get more funds than the other 31 Counties put together, don't get 80% of their games in Nowlan Park.........and anyway it's only oul Hurley stuff.

We could play all our games in Nowlan Park we'd still win. It's what great teams do.

But even great teams have a shelf life.

INDIANA

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 25, 2016, 10:43:11 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 25, 2016, 10:42:13 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 25, 2016, 10:24:23 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 25, 2016, 02:03:08 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on April 24, 2016, 09:46:32 PM
Quote from: redzone on April 24, 2016, 08:07:56 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on April 24, 2016, 08:02:35 PM
Quote from: redzone on April 24, 2016, 07:55:38 PM
If there's one team to topple the dubs it the red hands. We would aboulstey show them zero respect

That ship sailed in 2008
New team now. By respect I mean would have no fear. Not like these other clowns on here who seem to be shitting themselves over Dublin.we would have as good as devolpment structures as there is and if not this year then soon. Dublin is lucky that they have such a good bunch of players but give it a few years and the cycle will change

It will change with a few retirees. I can see the field being very even between 5/6 counties in about 3-5 years. Leinster will be still a cesspit however
Can't see that happening. The imbalance between urban and rural areas, the capital in particular,  will continue to grow at a steadily increasing pace. According to Marty Morrissey in a report on Ballyboden, the club fields over 50 teams. I mentioned this to a friend in Skerries and he told me that the Harps field over 70 teams! I'd wager that the dozen of Mayo's larger clubs wouldn't match that amount. Back in '91 (I think) a report commissioned by Central Council, stated that 5 Dublin clubs could field more underage players than any of five named counties. The situation has not gotten any better in the interim and that's for sure.
The main purpose of the report however was to examine and and assess the rate of fallout as younger players start to move up to the grades.
Dublin was by far the county with the highest drop out. Far more kids, percentage wise, joined GAA clubs than in any other county but the numbers leaving were equally well in front of any other county. Another big concern was that the percentage of those former players severed connection with the club they had played for.
I'd say that 90% plus of the population of Castlebar were solidly behind the Mitchels as they prepared for the final. The commission report referred to the penetration rate, the percentage of the local population that would support the local club.
Would the 'penetration rate' in Firhouse be in double figures? I very much doubt it. The GAA are losing their share of the market as it were, and nowhere as pronounced as in Dublin. The number of super clubs in Dublin is increasing while clubs in Mayo are amalgamating due to the effects of rural depopulation. There are many other counties in the same boat as Mayo and things are not going to change for any of them anytime soon.
If Dublin keep mopping up national titles while at the same time losing a larger and larger share of potential members and supporters, the outlook is bleak for the GAA in general.

Was driving around the area just before the club final and couldn't see ONE flag stuck out the window of a house. Apart from the flags and bunting outside their grounds you wouldn't have a clue anything was going on.

I saw plenty of flags around Rathfarnham.
`There was bound to be plenty of flags and bunting in some places as Boden is a big club but as Croi says, he was driving about the area and failed to see any. I mentioned Firhouse, in Boden's catchment region, as I have a nephew there who played underage hurling with the club and was a mad supporter in his younger days. Four or five of his mates played there with him so I expected to see a good few houses with Boden's colours but not a single one was to be seen.
The nephew doesn't dislike the club and he'd class himself as a Dub supporter but wearing a Dub jersey and heading to the pub to meet up with his mates whenever a Dublin match is televised is about as far as it goes for him.
Once one of his crowd dropped out, the rest followed suit and I know none of them bothers going near the club, let alone support it in any way. Needless, to say neither any of parents nor neighbours have the same sense of identification with the local club as you'll find in the small rural areas like Castlebar.
My point is that while, Boden is a successful club with a large number of members, it's share of the total market of potential supporters is slipping. When you realise that this is happening onn a county-wide scale, it's time to start worrying a bit....
Short term, doesn't matter...mid-term, maybe time to see what can be done... long-term, a niche sport for an elitist minority.

Boden hasn't got enough pitches to service the demand. Country people always make the mistake that GAA clubs can't survive in a large urban setting. They don't just survive - they thrive and are as closely knit as any rural parish.

Rugby has all the market penetration of sex under a wheelbarrow in Dublin if the truth be told. Nobody plays it after 18. GAA is king.

angermanagement

One of the comments says several U14 Dublin club teams went to Portugal for a week warm weather training before feile. Surely that can't be true.

armaghniac

Quote from: INDIANA on April 25, 2016, 10:52:27 PM
Boden hasn't got enough pitches to service the demand. Country people always make the mistake that GAA clubs can't survive in a large urban setting.

That suggests they are too big. Time to split them up.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B