Dublin

Started by ashman, April 24, 2016, 05:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: screenexile on April 25, 2016, 11:06:54 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 25, 2016, 11:00:03 AM
Quote from: screenexile on April 25, 2016, 10:10:27 AM
They can be beaten in a one off it's not like they're going to win 8/9 in a row or anything but I just think it's set up for them to dominate over the next 10/15 years!
No way. Galway will be back before then. Kerry will find their mojo. Throne will be in the mix. Meath might even resuscitate.

And maybe they will win one and Kerry a few as well but the Dubs are going to be the new Kilkenny!

Kilkenny have 11/16 All Irelands and Hurling is fucked because of it. The game can't grow anywhere outside its main base because how is anyone from a non Hurling County going to have a chance at winning the big prize?

The Dubs have won 4 all Irelands in the last 25 years.
The skill barriers to entry are lower in football so it won't turn out the same as hurling imo

dferg

If Jim Gavin could swap any player on the Dublin team for a player from another county that would make Dublin significantly stronger how many players would he swap?  Michael Murphy would get in, Conor McManus might be there or there abouts but they already have Brogan, Dean Rock, Ciaran Kilkenny .. in the forward line.  Midfield they have Michael Dara Macauley coming on as sub.  It's pretty scary the strength in depth that Dublin have.

screenexile

Quote from: seafoid on April 25, 2016, 11:27:39 AM
Quote from: screenexile on April 25, 2016, 11:06:54 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 25, 2016, 11:00:03 AM
Quote from: screenexile on April 25, 2016, 10:10:27 AM
They can be beaten in a one off it's not like they're going to win 8/9 in a row or anything but I just think it's set up for them to dominate over the next 10/15 years!
No way. Galway will be back before then. Kerry will find their mojo. Throne will be in the mix. Meath might even resuscitate.

And maybe they will win one and Kerry a few as well but the Dubs are going to be the new Kilkenny!

Kilkenny have 11/16 All Irelands and Hurling is fucked because of it. The game can't grow anywhere outside its main base because how is anyone from a non Hurling County going to have a chance at winning the big prize?

The Dubs have won 4 all Irelands in the last 25 years.
The skill barriers to entry are lower in football so it won't turn out the same as hurling imo

Nonsense... lads in Clare/Tipperary/Cork/Waterford/Galway are as skilful as the lads in Kilkenny. Yes it's not the same situation as Dublin of course as Kilkenny's is less about money/home games/population and more to do with Cody but the end result is the same in that a team is dominating!!

Croí na hÉireann

Kilkenny are dominating as another blind eye is turned to their non promotion of football. They pour all their resources and money into hurling, not a fair situation either.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Jinxy

As much as it kills me to defend the Dubs, at least they are dominating in style.
Some of the football they played yesterday was a joy to watch.
There was one score in particular where they worked it down the Cusack side, a long ball was kicked into the FF line, Brogan fielded it cleanly over Marc O'Sé, turned and stuck it over the bar with his left foot.
I'd watch that sort of football all day.
Now, if they were dominating the game using a Donegal-style system, I'd be worried for the future.
And before anyone says the Dubs are just as defensive as any other team, for me they a great testament to the age old adage, "When we don't have the ball everyone is a defender, when we do have the ball everyone is an attacker".
For me, the closest team to them in playing style at the moment is Tyrone, however, I still think Mayo are the only team who can put it up to them this year.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

One thing that was very apparent yesterday was they absolutely have Kerry's number. It's over. The frustration levels of the Kerry lads was quite stark. From Donaghy's constant flailing (although he often does that) to things like Gooch berating his team mates, Darran O'Sullivan pulling and dragging, and then just hunched on his knees waiting for what he probably thought was a black card. Then Sheehan's spat with Paul Flynn afterwards.

Kerry have been beaten before, they've been annoyed before, but even in that Tyrone hoodoo era, they never looked so deflated to me.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 25, 2016, 12:10:05 PM
One thing that was very apparent yesterday was they absolutely have Kerry's number. It's over. The frustration levels of the Kerry lads was quite stark. From Donaghy's constant flailing (although he often does that) to things like Gooch berating his team mates, Darran O'Sullivan pulling and dragging, and then just hunched on his knees waiting for what he probably thought was a black card. Then Sheehan's spat with Paul Flynn afterwards.

Kerry have been beaten before, they've been annoyed before, but even in that Tyrone hoodoo era, they never looked so deflated to me.
Kerry have been in decline for a while. Of their last few all Irelands 2 were won beating Cork and 2 beating Mayo, neither of which are ever likely to beat Kerry in an AIF given psychological issues.
They have failed to beat either Tyrone or Dublin in recent finals.

Zulu

There's undoubtedly a good chance the Dubs will dominate for a good number of years as they won't need 10 good lads coming through but only 3 or 4 every few years and Con O'Callaghan is another forward on the production line at least. Kerry could go back before they go forward when O'Se, O'Mahoney, Gooch etc. leave the scene. But as Jinxy said, they are a joy to watch and a team that are very hard to dislike if you enjoy football.

ashman

Zulu

A fair point and all Dublin really need going forward is 2 from each u21 to push on .

My point is not anti Dublin per se but more the sustainability of IC football .

The Dublin team are on another level physically to any side in the GAA history.  The dice is loaded .  There is no beauty in the current situation where the sport is not competitive.

Yesterday is a close as it will get for at least 5 years .  Of course there might be an occasional ambush but in the main the AISF is going to be as competitive as the Armagh SFC in the coming years.

ballinaman

Was there an replay for the OMahoney Johnny Cooper incident?
Two lads well able to throw their weight around. O Mahoney at it for years and can't forget Coopers rake on Diarmuid O Connor in drawn semi and got in Seamus O Shea face enough to draw a black card in the replay.

Jinxy

Looked to me like they came together and O'Mahoney was drawing back his right arm just as they went out of shot.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Are the  Dubs fitter/more physical than Donegal were in 2012 or Tyrone in 2005?

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on April 25, 2016, 12:40:32 PM

Kerry have been in decline for a while. Of their last few all Irelands 2 were won beating Cork and 2 beating Mayo, neither of which are ever likely to beat Kerry in an AIF given psychological issues.

2008 in the scheme of things is not a recent final.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 25, 2016, 01:44:28 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 25, 2016, 12:40:32 PM

2008 in the scheme of things is not a recent final.
I had to go back to 2004 for the last 5 Kerry all Ireland wins because they can't beat the Dubs 

Dinny Breen

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0425/784105-dublin-gaa/

No name credited but whoever wrote this definitely reads this board.
#newbridgeornowhere