Dublin

Started by ashman, April 24, 2016, 05:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 24, 2016, 07:53:46 PM
Er, Kerry x2, Donegal x2 and Mayo all lost in the league to Dublin this year. As Hound said Mayo may be the team capable of stopping Dublin, but everything would have to stack in Mayo's favour foe that to happen. That usually doesn't happen on the big stage.

Of all the teams Mayo have the best athleticism to get near the Dubs. 

Last year they were a lot closer to Dubs than Kerry but even the dice is loaded against them . 7 of their panel live in dublin and they have two midweek training trips .

Last year they drew with the Dubs on a Sunday and had to travel home that night ( those living in mayo).  The replay was fixed for the following Saturday and they travelled to Dublin Friday night.

From the Bunker

Quote from: ashman on April 24, 2016, 08:52:38 PM
Er, Kerry x2, Donegal x2 and Mayo all lost in the league to Dublin this year. As Hound said Mayo may be the team capable of stopping Dublin, but everything would have to stack in Mayo's favour foe that to happen. That usually doesn't happen on the big stage.

Last year they were a lot closer to Dubs than Kerry but even the dice is loaded against them . 7 of their panel live in dublin and they have two midweek training trips .

Last year they drew with the Dubs on a Sunday and had to travel home that night ( those living in mayo).  The replay was fixed for the following Saturday and they travelled to Dublin Friday night.

Now don't be making excuses. Sleeping in ones own bed the night before. Using the same dressing rooms. Warming up in from of the home crowd. Offer little or no advantage what so ever. If you are good enough you'll win away from home! Look at the statistics and they will tell you!

heffo

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 24, 2016, 08:57:47 PM

Now don't be making excuses. Sleeping in ones own bed the night before. Using the same dressing rooms. Warming up in from of the home crowd. Offer little or no advantage what so ever. If you are good enough you'll win away from home! Look at the statistics and they will tell you!

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/rampant-dublin-dismantle-mayo-in-castlebar-1.2141627

http://www.the42.ie/dublin-mayo-castlebar-2589254-Feb2016/

INDIANA

Quote from: redzone on April 24, 2016, 08:07:56 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on April 24, 2016, 08:02:35 PM
Quote from: redzone on April 24, 2016, 07:55:38 PM
If there's one team to topple the dubs it the red hands. We would aboulstey show them zero respect

That ship sailed in 2008
New team now. By respect I mean would have no fear. Not like these other clowns on here who seem to be shitting themselves over Dublin.we would have as good as devolpment structures as there is and if not this year then soon. Dublin is lucky that they have such a good bunch of players but give it a few years and the cycle will change

It will change with a few retirees. I can see the field being very even between 5/6 counties in about 3-5 years. Leinster will be still a cesspit however

highorlow

The dubs must have some great diet or some other such formula to do what they are doing!
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

screenexile

I don't know what people are expecting?? Dublin have the population, the money, the facilities and all their games at home...

The question that should be asked is how come it took them so long to get their act together!!! They've won 3 in 5 years and the fact that for all their advantages they've only 7 in 40 is quite ridiculous... They will f**k up again though but I think it'll be 10/15 years until we see it happen!!! I can see them winning 7/10 10/15 over the next while!!!

Jinxy

Very impressed with Mannion for the Dubs today.
Scary forward options.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

From the Bunker

Quote from: screenexile on April 24, 2016, 11:17:59 PM
I don't know what people are expecting?? Dublin have the population, the money, the facilities and all their games at home...

The question that should be asked is how come it took them so long to get their act together!!! They've won 3 in 5 years and the fact that for all their advantages they've only 7 in 40 is quite ridiculous... They will f**k up again though but I think it'll be 10/15 years until we see it happen!!! I can see them winning 7/10 10/15 over the next while!!!

That's it. There have been game changers over the last couple of years. All of Dublins Home League games moving from Parnell Park to Croker. This set the ball rolling. Dublin did not have to wait until the Summer to get game practice there. Money! Most of what was thrown toward Hurling, but ended up with the big ball. They are the Celtic of Gaelic now! Imagine Celtic with all their important games at Parkhead. Can you imagine this advantage in any other Sport?  That's the way it's set up, to sell corporate boxes to Big Dublin Business. To keep the Pubs busy on Dorset St and Drumcondra. There's Dublin sitting pretty in Croker, the rest of us take turns going to their home patch and try knocking them off their perch! Meanwhile we are sold this crazy line about how great it is to play in  Croker and the Dubs don't really have an advantage playing all knockout games at home.  ;D

armaghniac

When the GAA was founded Dublin was comparable with several counties, its population was only a bit bigger than other counties and a lot of those were in British Army barracks, TCD, and Unionist suburbs.

Now of course it has a population of the order of  10 times that of other "populous" counties, it is ridiculous and even Gerry Adams could hardly deny that there is an issue.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

moysider

It remains to be seen how Mayo kick on during the summer. How this new management can make a mark with this panel as well. Saying that, even if Mayo do get through Connacht and further and meet Dublin in September in rude good health, their chances would be slim.
Now maybe Rochford and  McEntee might be more savvy. We ll see. But to beat this Dublin team in CP at the pinnacle of the championship would mean a team has to be much better than them on the day. Is that possible? This, after all, is the best Dublin team ever.
Today's game with Kerry was strange. Kerry were poor but Dublin gave them respect that they don t give others and could have put 20 on Kerry today if they cut loose. So maybe Kerry still the most likely team to catch them out - but hard to see it in fairness either.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: INDIANA on April 24, 2016, 09:46:32 PM
Quote from: redzone on April 24, 2016, 08:07:56 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on April 24, 2016, 08:02:35 PM
Quote from: redzone on April 24, 2016, 07:55:38 PM
If there's one team to topple the dubs it the red hands. We would aboulstey show them zero respect

That ship sailed in 2008
New team now. By respect I mean would have no fear. Not like these other clowns on here who seem to be shitting themselves over Dublin.we would have as good as devolpment structures as there is and if not this year then soon. Dublin is lucky that they have such a good bunch of players but give it a few years and the cycle will change

It will change with a few retirees. I can see the field being very even between 5/6 counties in about 3-5 years. Leinster will be still a cesspit however
Can't see that happening. The imbalance between urban and rural areas, the capital in particular,  will continue to grow at a steadily increasing pace. According to Marty Morrissey in a report on Ballyboden, the club fields over 50 teams. I mentioned this to a friend in Skerries and he told me that the Harps field over 70 teams! I'd wager that the dozen of Mayo's larger clubs wouldn't match that amount. Back in '91 (I think) a report commissioned by Central Council, stated that 5 Dublin clubs could field more underage players than any of five named counties. The situation has not gotten any better in the interim and that's for sure.
The main purpose of the report however was to examine and and assess the rate of fallout as younger players start to move up to the grades.
Dublin was by far the county with the highest drop out. Far more kids, percentage wise, joined GAA clubs than in any other county but the numbers leaving were equally well in front of any other county. Another big concern was that the percentage of those former players severed connection with the club they had played for.
I'd say that 90% plus of the population of Castlebar were solidly behind the Mitchels as they prepared for the final. The commission report referred to the penetration rate, the percentage of the local population that would support the local club.
Would the 'penetration rate' in Firhouse be in double figures? I very much doubt it. The GAA are losing their share of the market as it were, and nowhere as pronounced as in Dublin. The number of super clubs in Dublin is increasing while clubs in Mayo are amalgamating due to the effects of rural depopulation. There are many other counties in the same boat as Mayo and things are not going to change for any of them anytime soon.
If Dublin keep mopping up national titles while at the same time losing a larger and larger share of potential members and supporters, the outlook is bleak for the GAA in general.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

Every time I listen to  the News it's so many new jobs in Dublin.
FFS we haven't even got a bloody job bridge post round here.
Don't know how many pubs, shops and other businesses have gone in the last 5 years .
Farm prices have gone to fcuk and with no broadband we haven't a fcukn chance of picking up any  passing or multi national trade.
Monster created in the East and will devour us all unless the "amateur" GAA steps in to even things up.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

omaghjoe

I concur with redzone, the only team that really has a chance of beating them is Tyrone.

From the Bunker

Quote from: omaghjoe on April 25, 2016, 08:11:41 AM
I concur with redzone, the only team that really has a chance of beating them is Tyrone.

;D

Based on what? No disrespect to Tyrone they are going in the right direction. But who was their last big scalp? Monaghan? Winning a McKenna Cup and Division 2 Title means nothing. Do you think Tyrone would have fared better than Kerry yesterday? Kerry will be the closest. Up to the sending off they were in the game yesterday. They were missing JOD, Scanlon and Maher. Their fitness is different to what it will be in August.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 25, 2016, 09:38:51 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on April 25, 2016, 08:11:41 AM

;D

Based on what? No disrespect to Tyrone they are going in the right direction. But who was their last big scalp? Monaghan? Winning a McKenna Cup and Division 2 Title means nothing. Do you think Tyrone would have fared better than Kerry yesterday? Kerry will be the closest. Up to the sending off they were in the game yesterday. They were missing JOD, Scanlon and Maher. Their fitness is different to what it will be in August.

Kerry will be beaten in the AISF.

Mayo will beat the Dubs in the AIF. Something will happen in the dressing room at half time and all 6 forwards will score in the second half. Nobody will believe it. It will be like the last 10 minutes of the hurling in 94.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bceb42XNhOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EdmHSTwmWY