Is there no fun in playing GAA any more?

Started by Fuzzman, April 18, 2016, 02:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Under Lights

Quote from: square_ball on April 18, 2016, 03:56:53 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 18, 2016, 03:31:45 PM
The thing is, you cant have it both ways.
You cant expect to compete at the top level of your sport (be that inter county or club) and not take it seriously, or not make sacrifices.
That's just the way it is, its that hard work that makes success all the more sweet.
As AZ says there are different levels to play at if all you want is come out and play a bit on a sunday.

I would agree with you there to a certain extent. However say in Tyrone (where I have actually ended up myself so see what is going on), where does the lad who just wants a game of football go if he is from a Dromore, Carrickmore, Clonoe etc? I know he would have very little chance of getting a game of football if he just turned up on a Sunday looking to play a bit of reserves. Even if you go to Division 2 its the same thing.

Don't get me wrong to achieve any success at club level now , sacrifices have to be made whether with home or working life and I'm not disputing that. I think the article does have some valid points but goes over the top in other areas.

Give the lad my number I'll get him a game on a Sunday.

Ethan Tremblay

A good read and defiantly reflects what I see in clubs at the moment, a sense of superior commitment than ever. 

But don't think the fun has totally gone from it.  At our training the work is done but the craic is always had.  The manager makes a point of letting us know the benefits of S&C and eating this and that, but nothing is enforced to the point where if it isn't done your dropped, but I think the perception of this elitism is putting off the younger fellas from stepping up.  Thankfully we have a second's team so recreational football is still available, and the craic is priority numero uno!
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Jinxy

Football was great craic before the Nordies ruined it for everyone.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

WeeDonns

Quote from: square_ball on April 18, 2016, 03:56:53 PM

I would agree with you there to a certain extent. However say in Tyrone (where I have actually ended up myself so see what is going on), where does the lad who just wants a game of football go if he is from a Dromore, Carrickmore, Clonoe etc? I know he would have very little chance of getting a game of football if he just turned up on a Sunday looking to play a bit of reserves. Even if you go to Division 2 its the same thing.

Don't get me wrong to achieve any success at club level now , sacrifices have to be made whether with home or working life and I'm not disputing that. I think the article does have some valid points but goes over the top in other areas.

In Tyrone, I think there is the need for a 'Social Football League' where players are just encouraged to turn up & play. Games played on say a Thursday evening, for 6/8 weeks with no re-fixtures - just guaranteed football.

It'd benefit guys who want to play football but can't commit to training, from clubs (like mine)where you need to train to make the Reserves. I see some clubs are already conceding Reserve games this year who obviously have a different problem.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Under Lights

I am in a funny situation myself. I am not really able to commit to training but still like to have a game on a Sunday. My club can tailor for my needs and I get to play for reserves on a Sunday and train once a week or so. I am just there for the social, enjoyment and bit of exercise this year. However there are a few lads in the same team as me who I would describe as messers- shoot over their shoulder, greedy, won't pass and no team play as such. Yes I want the recreational side to it this year but I also want team mates that take it seriously enough to play the game in the proper form.

general_lee

To be honest anyone cracking a joke immediately after a defeat obviously doesn't give a f**k. Maybe it's just me but after a defeat the changing room is a quiet place and most if not all players stay silent with possibly a bit of light but short conversation. The person to crack a joke is usually the person who is either 1) the village clown or 2) a sub (or both)...

Reserve football - by all means crack a joke. Have your craic then and laugh away after a defeat. Not the end of the world. No one will bite your head off. But if our senior team got bate and someone cracked a joke I and a few others wouldn't be happy. It just gives the impression that the person doesn't care and is almost disrespecting his team mates and the team atmosphere by making light of losing.

armaghniac

Quote from: WeeDonns on April 18, 2016, 04:43:55 PM
It'd benefit guys who want to play football but can't commit to training, from clubs (like mine)where you need to train to make the Reserves. I see some clubs are already conceding Reserve games this year who obviously have a different problem.

A sort of street league format where clubs have more than useless non-training one team with games in the locality would seem to meet a requirement for a the more social side of things. I suspect soccer has more of these kinds of arrangements.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

general_lee

Quote from: armaghniac on April 18, 2016, 06:03:40 PM

A sort of street league format where clubs have more than useless non-training one team with games in the locality would seem to meet a requirement for a the more social side of things. I suspect soccer has more of these kinds of arrangements.
You obviously haven't seen much reserve football in armagh...

INDIANA

Quote from: general_lee on April 18, 2016, 04:54:37 PM
To be honest anyone cracking a joke immediately after a defeat obviously doesn't give a f**k. Maybe it's just me but after a defeat the changing room is a quiet place and most if not all players stay silent with possibly a bit of light but short conversation. The person to crack a joke is usually the person who is either 1) the village clown or 2) a sub (or both)...

Reserve football - by all means crack a joke. Have your craic then and laugh away after a defeat. Not the end of the world. No one will bite your head off. But if our senior team got bate and someone cracked a joke I and a few others wouldn't be happy. It just gives the impression that the person doesn't care and is almost disrespecting his team mates and the team atmosphere by making light of losing.

That's way over the top. The person to crack a joke is usually the one who has a life. You sound like the worst excesses of Gaelic Football today

Lads who train too much, have no life, no social life and live their entire existence through playing football. Christ what a waste of a life.

general_lee

There's a time and a place. The changing room straight after isn't appropriate for cracking jokes. Though you'll probably tell us you've never tasted defeat..

manfromdelmonte

We're so tight for adult players that lads know they don't have to train and will walk onto the team.
Very annoying for the core group of 8/9 lads who always turn up.
The younger lads ages 17-21 don't seem too bothered about turning up to represent their club

Syferus

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 19, 2016, 08:15:01 AM
We're so tight for adult players that lads know they don't have to train and will walk onto the team.
Very annoying for the core group of 8/9 lads who always turn up.
The younger lads ages 17-21 don't seem too bothered about turning up to represent their club

Most of them around here live off in Sligo or Galway or Dublin, for work or more usually for college. The idea they can come home to train midweek is pretty preposterous in that case. How IC players can do it is a testament to their dedication and sheer bloody-mindedness.

MoChara

Quote from: armaghniac on April 18, 2016, 06:03:40 PM

Over the winter there I played a bit of football one fella organised just on 3g pitches was great craic all the oul hands that wouldn't play a competitive match any more, the "could of been county"'s and young fellas looking to keep their eye in it over the winter, no commitment to show up if the real world called just as long as we could get 20 or so people and have a laugh

theskull1

Is reducing alcohol consumption because you've been 'encouraged' maintain a healthy lifestyle (everything in moderation) and look after your diet now being held up as a bad thing?  :-\

I think the drink to oblivion culture is as bad as its ever been in this country (....these countries sorry  ;) )  and the more people minded to encourage youngsters to limit themselves from hammering jaegarbomb after jaegarbomb at the weekend the better. Like wheres the fun in drinking to oblivion every weekend? The most overrated pastime in our society yet so many love to live the lie that its in some way enjoyable getting completely wasted.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera