Minors 2016

Started by twohands!!!, April 13, 2016, 10:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Very happy with the win. Sloppy at times wasting numerous goal chances with loose final passes but young lads don't always take the right option. Great to win as well with Galway's best player, Evan Murphy, not having a big influence on the game. Seemed like he was carrying a knock after receiving a belt in the first half. Wasn't moving well at all after. Will need him at 100% for the final. Hard luck Donegal.

seafoid

galwayman

Well deserved win for the Galway lads.
I really thought we would be made to pay for the missed goal chances but thankfully that didn't come to pass.
We have plenty to work on.Turned the ball over sloppily on numerous occasions (as did Donegal).
Kerry seem to be very highly rated again this year though I haven't seen any of their games yet.
Will be interested to see them next week.
Kildare have been comfortable enough in their games up to now?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: galwayman on August 21, 2016, 05:33:14 PM
Well deserved win for the Galway lads.
I really thought we would be made to pay for the missed goal chances but thankfully that didn't come to pass.
We have plenty to work on.Turned the ball over sloppily on numerous occasions (as did Donegal).
Kerry seem to be very highly rated again this year though I haven't seen any of their games yet.
Will be interested to see them next week.
Kildare have been comfortable enough in their games up to now?

Kildare needed extra time against Meath and never looked comfortable against a dogged Mayo. Ulster looks like the weakest province this year and Kerry were quite open against Derry and Derry could have scored more. It's a small hope but I expect Kildare to run up a score but not sure we will be able to keep it down at the other end.
#newbridgeornowhere

Rudi

As usual Galway have some really classy minors. Thought Donegal we're horribly defensive for a minor side that had won all their championship games to date. Galway will be hard to beat. A lot of the players on view today had not a clue how to tackle, slapping the fu#k out of a lad is not tacking. What are coaches at on all these underage development squads? That comment really goes for every game of football these days. U21 is where the best football is played.

Chimley

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 21, 2016, 02:42:28 PM
1-5 for Anthony Finnerty's young lad.

Looks like a real prospect. He was two steps ahead of most other players.

ck

Very impressive Galway team in what was a stuttering performance. Joyce doing a fine job with them. Donegal were a shambles tactically but have some lovely players.
Kerry Galway final should be a good one.

twohands!!!

Can't help wondering if Donegal set a record for the ratio of handpasses to kick passes in the game.

They attempted a couple of desperation stake hoofes in around the square late on but bar that I'd say they had somewhere around 5 actual kick passes over the course of the game. Shocking stuff all together. Was especially noticeable when the Galway full-forward line was thriving off some great early kick passing balls coming in from out the field.

Galway will have to be a lot less wasteful when it comes to the goal chances they created in the final. There was a couple of occasions when the initial goal chance was snuffed out and rather than take the simple tap over point Galway persisted in trying to work a goal and came away with nothing when they could have done with a score to keep the scoreboard ticking over. Should have been a lot more comfortable down the home stretch.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 21, 2016, 02:53:08 PM
Galway's gamesmanship in the last 6 minutes was pretty pathetic to watch.

I thought that was disappointing alright. There were some near mortal blows recovered from.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: ck on August 21, 2016, 11:24:02 PM
Very impressive Galway team in what was a stuttering performance. Joyce doing a fine job with them. Donegal were a shambles tactically but have some lovely players.

>:(
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 22, 2016, 09:51:33 AM

I thought that was disappointing alright. There were some near mortal blows recovered from.

I wouldn't mind there was no need for it. When you minors doing this sort of thing you know the culture has changed. Bloody Tyrone!!
#newbridgeornowhere

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 22, 2016, 09:51:33 AM

After the euphoria of reaching a final dies down, a few of those mortally wounded lads will be pulled aside this week for a "cop yourself on" chat I would imagine by the Manager - he wouldnt be one to tolerate that type of sh1t.

AZOffaly

Wouldn't be something I'd associate with Galway. They have some lovely footballers too. Where did this team come from? I was up at a Sean Purcell Academy day in Milltown 3 years ago with our 'B' team  (17 year olds now), and we played Mayo West, Leitrim, Mayo East and Galway North. Leitrim had hammered Galway north, and we managed to beat Leitrim, so Galway North gave us a walkover because they didn't want their young lads to get another hammering, which was fair enough, and I was happy because we had 3 other games anyway.

I was talking to a lad after who was apologising for the walkover, and he said 'Galway football is in a bad way, we're in big trouble at underage'. I was surprised to hear it, as I always associate Galway with nice loose football, which is basically what underage is. And given he was so downbeat, I'm surprised at this minor team, 3 years later, because they'd have been a year ahead of the bunch I saw, and obviously were contributing to the sense that they were in 'big trouble'.

Fair play to them for turning it around.

Jinxy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 22, 2016, 10:04:28 AM

Copy & paste that into a word document Dinny, print it off and post it on to the minor management along with some blu-tac.
These Kerry lads think it's in the bag, it's only a matter of toggin out.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Jinxy on August 22, 2016, 10:53:30 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 22, 2016, 10:04:28 AM

Copy & paste that into a word document Dinny, print it off and post it on to the minor management along with some blu-tac.
These Kerry lads think it's in the bag, it's only a matter of toggin out.

Sickening dismissiveness.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?