Easter Rising commemoration at the NFL finals

Started by BennyCake, April 13, 2016, 08:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rionach 4

I am really looking forward to it. My family and I have tickets .. The fact that its on with the two games makes it even a greater spectacle. I know Tyrone and Cavan Supporters will have a long sit if the wish to remain to the end. As chairperson of my club I am delighted to be heading down and watch a part of history. If they do it as well as the 125 celebrations it should be worth waiting on.

armaghniac

If the Cavan people have spent the €35 they'll surely stay for the show.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

joemamas

i think it is wonderful that there will be close to a full house next weekend, there will be a tremendous atmosphere.
having said that, if i could be GAA CEO for a day, I would fire whoever is supposed to be responsible for marketing the games of football or hurling. take today for example, sample stadium looks half empty for the national league semi-finals. why wold the GAA marketing people not just give away 10,000 tickets to school kids in weaker hurling counties, that are in reasonable close proximity to Thurles where the semi-final were always going to be held. Counties such as Laois, Wicklow, Carlow, Longford, Roscommon, etc, or they could just divvy up the tickets between the div 3 and 4 teams, giving them to u8 u10 u12 etc, to be given to divisional winners and runners up in their respective counties.
Fast forward to August Bank holiday weekend, Two years ago, some rocket scientist decided that it would make sense to switch having all four Qfinals on that weekend to having just two on the sunday and two the following Saturday. As Dublin the expected Leinster Champions are scheduled to play on the Saturday night August 6th or whatever, you will now be very lucky to have 20-25 k on the Saturday evening and 30-35k on the Sunday of August Bank Holiday weekend.
It is almost 14 or 15 weeks away, time for the lazy marketing people to get off their backside and figure a way to give the chance to promote the games in weaker football counties and also helping to generate an atmosphere. So what if they have to hire extra security people at a loss for one weekend.
I will use the example of an FA Cup third round game, where you have Hartlepool united v Bumble fu*k rovers, and the local stadium is jammed with a great atmosphere (not 70k I know), if you didn't know any different you would think it was a final such is the tremendous job that is done on selling/marketing the game.
Oh and one other thing, talk about being asleep at the wheel again, Guess when the Aer Lingus sponsored gridiron game is this year, day before the all-ireland final. Good luck getting a hotel room, sold out already as Boston College are playing, not to mention any poor hurling fan trying to fly from the US or UK to go to it.
Maybe i should start a separate three on this one.

SuperHo

It's €35 this year anyway.
Prob was €20 last year alright.

Thats just the easter rising

Sorry

Dinny Breen

QuoteIt is almost 14 or 15 weeks away, time for the lazy marketing people to get off their backside and figure a way to give the chance to promote the games in weaker football counties and also helping to generate an atmosphere.

Kilkenny will surely take up those tickets.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: joemamas on April 17, 2016, 02:59:41 PM
i think it is wonderful that there will be close to a full house next weekend, there will be a tremendous atmosphere.
having said that, if i could be GAA CEO for a day, I would fire whoever is supposed to be responsible for marketing the games of football or hurling. take today for example, sample stadium looks half empty for the national league semi-finals. why wold the GAA marketing people not just give away 10,000 tickets to school kids in weaker hurling counties, that are in reasonable close proximity to Thurles where the semi-final were always going to be held. Counties such as Laois, Wicklow, Carlow, Longford, Roscommon, etc, or they could just divvy up the tickets between the div 3 and 4 teams, giving them to u8 u10 u12 etc, to be given to divisional winners and runners up in their respective counties.
Fast forward to August Bank holiday weekend, Two years ago, some rocket scientist decided that it would make sense to switch having all four Qfinals on that weekend to having just two on the sunday and two the following Saturday. As Dublin the expected Leinster Champions are scheduled to play on the Saturday night August 6th or whatever, you will now be very lucky to have 20-25 k on the Saturday evening and 30-35k on the Sunday of August Bank Holiday weekend.
It is almost 14 or 15 weeks away, time for the lazy marketing people to get off their backside and figure a way to give the chance to promote the games in weaker football counties and also helping to generate an atmosphere. So what if they have to hire extra security people at a loss for one weekend.
I will use the example of an FA Cup third round game, where you have Hartlepool united v Bumble fu*k rovers, and the local stadium is jammed with a great atmosphere (not 70k I know), if you didn't know any different you would think it was a final such is the tremendous job that is done on selling/marketing the game.
Oh and one other thing, talk about being asleep at the wheel again, Guess when the Aer Lingus sponsored gridiron game is this year, day before the all-ireland final. Good luck getting a hotel room, sold out already as Boston College are playing, not to mention any poor hurling fan trying to fly from the US or UK to go to it.
Maybe i should start a separate three on this one.

I agree with quite a bit of that. I was in Thurles yesterday, and while both stands were fairly full, I was disappointed to see the Terraces shut. 20,000 was the announced crowd, so you're spot on with the 'half empty' comment.

However, the bit in bold, I'm not sure what you want the GAA to do there? The American Football is not in Croker, and the GAA have nothing to do with it. (Unlike the cluster f**k they made of the Penn State Game). To be honest that should be a great sporting weekend in Dublin.

Jinxy

The Dubs won't need any hotel rooms anyway.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

joemamas

Quote from: Jinxy on April 18, 2016, 01:16:00 PM

It is the night before the All-Ireland Hurling final.
Surely somebody in GAA knew of this event. Now I know it is not in Croke Park, but there are two weekends on the GAA calendar that typically attract a lot of neutrals to Dublin. I think it is another example of Croke Park "marketing" folks asleep at the wheel.

Just for shits and giggles, go to Hotels.com Dublin and try those dates on all-Ireland hurling final weekend.

westbound

Quote from: joemamas on April 18, 2016, 02:18:03 PM

Surely somebody in GAA knew of this event. Now I know it is not in Croke Park, but there are two weekends on the GAA calendar that typically attract a lot of neutrals to Dublin. I think it is another example of Croke Park "marketing" folks asleep at the wheel.

Just for shits and giggles, go to Hotels.com Dublin and try those dates on all-Ireland hurling final weekend.

But as AZ said, What were the GAA to do?

Move the date of the hurling final? I can imagine what the reaction to that would be!

easytiger95

I worked on the 125th Anniversary and very few people left the stadium before the show started. I'd say most will stay around for this, though I'd like to see a full programme of events for the evening.

AZOffaly

Quote from: westbound on April 18, 2016, 02:23:38 PM

Move the date of the hurling final? I can imagine what the reaction to that would be!

Exactly. If Garth Brooks wanted to play in the Aviva instead of Croker, you'd hardly expect the GAA to move fixtures around to accommodate that? The GAA shoot themselves in the foot sometimes, but I don't think they can be blamed for other organisations in Dublin hosting something they have no control over.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 18, 2016, 02:34:47 PM

Exactly. If Garth Brooks wanted to play in the Aviva instead of Croker, you'd hardly expect the GAA to move fixtures around to accommodate that? The GAA shoot themselves in the foot sometimes, but I don't think they can be blamed for other organisations in Dublin hosting something they have no control over.

Maybe they could involve themselves in block booking hotels at the AIF weekends? They should be in a position to negotiate good deals and avoid supporters getting blocked by other events. Doing this wouldn't please everyone but maybe they should look into it?
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Can you imagine the outcry? Joe Duffy would be swamped :)

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: muppet on April 18, 2016, 02:40:49 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 18, 2016, 02:34:47 PM

Maybe they could involve themselves in block booking hotels at the AIF weekends? They should be in a position to negotiate good deals and avoid supporters getting blocked by other events. Doing this wouldn't please everyone but maybe they should look into it?

Will they be left holding the can though when some lads turn up the week after?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...