What should be different in a United Ireland?

Started by seafoid, April 06, 2016, 05:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

I would suggest dropping

The late late show
Anal levels of centralisation
The current Civil Service mentality
Flegs
The economic concentration on Dublin/Belfast

armaghniac

I would suggest dropping pointless trivialisations of political issues on Internet forums.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Minder

It's refreshing to see a United Ireland thread, we haven't had one in a while.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Under Lights

ashman

Cavan to be the home of the Cental bank and financial capital.

seafoid

A lot of the institutional and administative infrastructure down south is shite and could do with a revamp. It probably costs at least 2% of gdp.

trileacman

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

MoChara

I'd outlaw private Health care, health shouldn't be the preserve of the Wealthy.

general_lee

Quote from: Rossfan on April 06, 2016, 07:25:27 PM
Seafoid banned from Gaaboard :D
Seafoid is a great poster. Ok maybe he starts a disproportionate amount of threads (have himself and Fearon got a competition going?). But he adds a lot on here.

Rossfan

Quote from: general_lee on April 07, 2016, 12:19:14 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 06, 2016, 07:25:27 PM
Seafoid banned from Gaaboard :D
Seafoid is a great poster. Ok maybe he starts a disproportionate amount of threads (have himself and Fearon got a competition going?). But he adds a lot on here.
OK - maybe just ban him and Tony from starting threads ;D
One thing badly needed is a decent motorway/ dual way down the Western side of the Country from Derry to Killarney.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

In a United Ireland, every train station will have an airport.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Lower income tax by targeting unearned wealth with higher taxation.
I like the idea of a 'living wage', but obviously it depends on the tax take.
Deal with some of our more idiotic and aggressive unions, and then modernise the PS.
Homelessness should not happen in a first world country that has so many empty houses.
Serious political reform - The current line up of parties and independents is beyond pathetic.
Merge the Health Boards/Regional HSE, VEC and County Councils into 5 or 6 Canton style administrations. Local politicians for local issues, while having a smaller federal style government running the country, probably in Athlone, but take it out of Dublin.
Ban zero hours contracts.
Find a way out of the thinking that sees us operate as merely a tax haven for large corporations, while giving away the only natural assets we have for free.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

I see Charles Flanagan was at the Ulster Unionist 1916 event in Dublin yesterday, at which Carson's allusion to 1916 as "The Week of Shame" was the theme.

This should tell you that a United Ireland ain't going to happen.