London v Mayo 29th May

Started by Mayo Club 51, April 05, 2016, 11:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you going to London v Mayo in Ruislip 29th May?

Travelling from Mayo & Have a match ticket
7 (23.3%)
Travelling from Mayo & Don't have a match ticket
11 (36.7%)
Travelling from England & Have a match ticket
4 (13.3%)
Travelling from England & Don't have a match ticket
8 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

ballinaman

Quote from: moysider on April 22, 2016, 01:26:51 AM
Quote from: gwan-ye-boy-ya on April 22, 2016, 12:53:21 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 07, 2016, 01:59:00 PM
Mayo will win this match.

Na. hard one to call.

James Horan's team had to go to extra time to beat London. In fact, lucky enough to get to extra time.
I was at that game. McLoughlin and Trevor Mort pulled it out of the fire. Crowd were in state of shock for the entire match.

sligoman2

Anyone remember the last time we went there?
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Blowitupref

Quote from: sligoman2 on April 22, 2016, 01:51:00 PM
Anyone remember the last time we went there?
Yes division 3 Sligo the only team not to win a Connacht championship game Ruislip. 2011 Mayo were a side in transition that game and Connacht championship was big turning point and it could easily have went the other way. Now 2016 Mayo are All Ireland contenders it's safe to say this is a game that Mayo will win easily without needing to go all out.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

mayo.mick

Quote from: ballinaman on April 22, 2016, 12:49:25 PM
Quote from: moysider on April 22, 2016, 01:26:51 AM
Quote from: gwan-ye-boy-ya on April 22, 2016, 12:53:21 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 07, 2016, 01:59:00 PM
Mayo will win this match.

Na. hard one to call.

James Horan's team had to go to extra time to beat London. In fact, lucky enough to get to extra time.
I was at that game. McLoughlin and Trevor Mort pulled it out of the fire. Crowd were in state of shock for the entire match.

I remember I had to switch my phone off at half time!
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

maigheo

Until the day I die I will never forget this game especially with 3 min. to go and us down 2 points and London having a chance to go 3 up. Definitely thought the game was gone.Still get a shiver down my spine when I think about it.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: maigheo on April 22, 2016, 11:20:47 PM
Until the day I die I will never forget this game especially with 3 min. to go and us down 2 points and London having a chance to go 3 up. Definitely thought the game was gone.Still get a shiver down my spine when I think about it.
It would have been one hell of a shock to the system if London had managed to beat Mayo  but as the team was ill-prepared for a championship match, it could have easily happened.  IIRC, the travel plans had to be altered at very short notice because flights out of Irish airports were suspended for a while and the Mayo party had to bus it to Waterford. I can't recall how the journey to England was made from there but I know  that the entire trip took eleven hours  instead of just one as anticipated and because the game was on the next day, the players had no chance relax and recover beforehand.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mayo.mick

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 23, 2016, 11:10:20 AM
Quote from: maigheo on April 22, 2016, 11:20:47 PM
It would have been one hell of a shock to the system if London had managed to beat Mayo  but as the team was ill-prepared for a championship match, it could have easily happened.  IIRC, the travel plans had to be altered at very short notice because flights out of Irish airports were suspended for a while and the Mayo party had to bus it to Waterford. I can't recall how the journey to England was made from there but I know  that the entire trip took eleven hours  instead of just one as anticipated and because the game was on the next day, the players had no chance relax and recover beforehand.

That's right, they had to bus it down to Waterford airport, flight over to Southend (I think) and then bus it up to London. Crazy messing about altogether.
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

maigheo

And during Mayos warm down you had a county board official trying to hurry up the team so they would not miss there flight back to Ireland which again involved getting a bus to Luton.I would say after that day Horan lost all respect for the county board and decided that all aspects of running of the team would be his way or the highway.

Syferus

Quote from: maigheo on April 23, 2016, 04:35:26 PM
And during Mayos warm down you had a county board official trying to hurry up the team so they would not miss there flight back to Ireland which again involved getting a bus to Luton.I would say after that day Horan lost all respect for the county board and decided that all aspects of running of the team would be his way or the highway.

After he managed Mayo to such a putrid performance he was in no position to be pointing fingers. All the stories that have came out about Horan have made him seem a lot more like Muaghan than a lot of Mayo supporters were claiming during his reign. His reign resulted in no greater success at the end of the day.

maigheo

You do post some horse shi_ at times Syf.  Who said any thing about pointing fingers and if you do not consider winning 4 Connacht titles and 2 all ireland appearances and being very competitive some what successful then your standards are way higher than us poor Mayo folk.Despite all the rumors you have heard about Horans reign not one player has ever come out against him and that says a lot in my opinion

Syferus

Quote from: maigheo on April 23, 2016, 05:23:13 PM
You do post some horse shi_ at times Syf.  Who said any thing about pointing fingers and if you do not consider winning 4 Connacht titles and 2 all ireland appearances and being very competitive some what successful then your standards are way higher than us poor Mayo folk.Despite all the rumors you have heard about Horans reign not one player has ever come out against him and that says a lot in my opinion

Pretty sure Conor Mort and Trevor Mort came out against him in the most empathic way I've ever seen.

maigheo

Wrong again Syf.Trevor Mort left the panel due to work abroad and Conor left because he could not get his place and tried to get back later on so that is hardly coming out against Horan in the most emphatic way possible.But carry on Syf  and never let the truth get in the way of your postings

Syferus

Quote from: maigheo on April 23, 2016, 05:47:53 PM
Wrong again Syf.Trevor Mort left the panel due to work abroad and Conor left because he could not get his place and tried to get back later on so that is hardly coming out against Horan in the most emphatic way possible.But carry on Syf  and never let the truth get in the way of your postings

If you think that Conor Mort leaving and his family releasing a statement condemning management the week before the Connacht final in 2012 wasn't players coming out against Horan there isn't much point continuing this. Richie Feeney, Alan Freeman and Evan Regan all had well established problems with him and his style of management too.

Horan is a good manager but people in Mayo need to stop trying to deify him and whitewash his failings, which on at least two occasions cost Mayo AI titles.

maigheo

Believe what you want if it makes you happy.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on April 23, 2016, 06:54:30 PM
Quote from: maigheo on April 23, 2016, 05:47:53 PM

If you think that Conor Mort leaving and his family releasing a statement condemning management the week before the Connacht final in 2012 wasn't players coming out against Horan there isn't much point continuing this. Richie Feeney, Alan Freeman and Evan Regan all had well established problems with him and his style of management too.

Horan is a good manager but people in Mayo need to stop trying to deify him and whitewash his failings, which on at least two occasions cost Mayo AI titles.
Players??  ;D ;D
Name 'em as I don't recall anyone other than Conoreen throwing  his doodie out of his pram in the week before the '12 final, or any other one for that manner. I'd be prepared to bet the family silver that no other player would pat him on the back over his sulking- a good boot up the rock & roll would be more like it. Not a single one backed him up either. Why should they when his tantrums upset the team's preparation for the final and damn nearly cost them the game?
Lookit, as your nemesis might put it,there's no problem with Mayo, Horan or anybody else. We're doing grand, honestly. Nothing much to see here so why not relax and go and f**king annoy give the benefit of your experience to some other lost souls. McStay and Fergie might be in need of a bit of advice right now.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi