Who wins Sam first?

Cavan
22 (61.1%)
Monaghan
14 (38.9%)

Total Members Voted: 36

seafoid

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on April 05, 2016, 12:18:09 AM
I reckon Armagh would probably just have 100k who might be amenable to the GAA alright.
What are the GAA populations of the occupied counties ?

seafoid

Monaghan are so dependent on yer man. He scored half of their total in the league. That is not sustainable.  A real pity cos I would love to see them winning an all Ireland.

Main Street

in the queue of counties to win the AI, Monaghan are ahead of their subordinate  neighbours, Cavan.
But that doesn't mean very much.

Itchy

Quote from: Main Street on April 05, 2016, 11:04:44 AM
in the queue of counties to win the AI, Monaghan are ahead of their subordinate  neighbours, Cavan.
But that doesn't mean very much.

I don't think so, we've a VIP pass that get us up the Queue.

Feckitt

Quote from: seafoid on April 05, 2016, 09:57:46 AM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on April 05, 2016, 12:18:09 AM
I reckon Armagh would probably just have 100k who might be amenable to the GAA alright.
What are the GAA populations of the occupied counties ?

The total population of County Armagh is 174,000.  It is made up of 3 different areas, Armagh City & District Council area which is about 50% Catholic, most of Craigavon Council area which would be about 40% Catholic, and the South Armagh portion of Newry Council which is about 85% Catholic. 
The South Armagh area is the least populated part as there are no major towns. 

As a guess I would estimate that the Catholic percentage for the county as a whole is approx 55%, which would leave the population in GAA terms more similar to Laois, Offaly and Westmeath.

Itchy

Feckit - maybe you should encourage the 45% of people to play instead of ruling them out. As more advanced Ulster counties have done. Armagh has a 174k people. Cavan has 70k odd I think.

Feckitt

I knew some w**ker would say this!  If you want to join me in encouraging cross community relations in the North then please do.  I have been working at this for years.  I'm not ruling them out, I'm just replying to Seafoid's question.

Our neighbouring Ulster County of Monaghan have at least 3 or 4 Protestant players on their panel, and it would be fantastic if Armagh could same day have the same.

EastTyrone

Quote from: seafoid on April 05, 2016, 12:12:44 AM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on April 05, 2016, 12:06:59 AM
What is the last county with a population of less than 100k to win an AI?
Offaly? Would Armagh have 100K of the right religion ?

Right religion? I did not realise we were bringing bigotry into this now.

Itchy

Quote from: Feckitt on April 05, 2016, 03:20:55 PM
I knew some w**ker would say this!  If you want to join me in encouraging cross community relations in the North then please do.  I have been working at this for years.  I'm not ruling them out, I'm just replying to Seafoid's question.

Our neighbouring Ulster County of Monaghan have at least 3 or 4 Protestant players on their panel, and it would be fantastic if Armagh could same day have the same.

You are very angry, are you sure you should be involved in encouraging cross community relations. Maybe that's why it is so unsuccessful in Armagh. Sure didn't Willie Frazer used to play GAA and look what ye turned him into.

Feckitt

No, I just don't like someone inferring that I am a bigot that's all.

There is nothing bigoted in acknowledging that if you went into Markethill, Tandragee, Hamiltonsbawn, Richhill, Bleary and many other towns and villages in Co Armagh you would have great difficulty gathering up 15 footballers.  That's not bigoted, that's not ruling out Protestants, that is just being realistic.

armaghniac

Quote from: Feckitt on April 05, 2016, 03:50:27 PM

There is nothing bigoted in acknowledging that if you went into Markethill, Tandragee, Hamiltonsbawn, Richhill, Bleary and many other towns and villages in Co Armagh you would have great difficulty gathering up 15 footballers.  That's not bigoted, that's not ruling out Protestants, that is just being realistic.

A person's measure is not the church they go to, we even accept people who do not go to church. but whether they vote for sectarian anti-Irish political organisations. There is a middle ground section in Armagh, like the other 6 counties, who might be attracted to the GAA and the GAA sometimes lacks a bit of imagination about doing this. But the notion that DUP voters can be attractedin any numbers  is nonsense. There are some Protestants in Cavan or Monghan, but limited numbers of them nowadays favour these sectarian organisations. That said, does Drum have a GAA club?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: armaghniac on April 05, 2016, 04:00:04 PM
Quote from: Feckitt on April 05, 2016, 03:50:27 PM

A person's measure is not the church they go to, we even accept people who do not go to church. but whether they vote for sectarian anti-Irish political organisations. There is a middle ground section in Armagh, like the other 6 counties, who might be attracted to the GAA and the GAA sometimes lacks a bit of imagination about doing this. But the notion that DUP voters can be attracted in any numbers  is nonsense. There are some Protestants in Cavan or Monaghan, but limited numbers of them nowadays favour these sectarian organisations. That said, does Drum have a GAA club?

The population of Drum village is about 48, so no, it doesn't have a GAA club. Anyone in the outlying area interested in playing Gaelic Games would play for either Currin (to the west) or Killeevan (to the north). Irrespective of their religious persuasion they daren't head about a mile south, to Cavan, as that would be the work of the infidel.

charlie linkbox

Quote from: Itchy on April 05, 2016, 03:13:15 PM
Feckit - maybe you should encourage the 45% of people to play instead of ruling them out.

Don't know where Cavan's moral high ground on this issue stems from.

Whatever about Monaghan's progressive inclusive nature I'd say if a Protestant tried to join the Cavan panel Gearoid McKiernan wouldn't be long putting him in his place.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-30932364

Feckitt

Quote from: charlie linkbox on April 05, 2016, 04:52:46 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 05, 2016, 03:13:15 PM
Feckit - maybe you should encourage the 45% of people to play instead of ruling them out.

Don't know where Cavan's moral high ground on this issue stems from.

Whatever about Monaghan's progressive inclusive nature I'd say if a Protestant tried to join the Cavan panel Gearoid McKiernan wouldn't be long putting him in his place.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-30932364

I think that is an outrageous slur to make against Gearoid McKiernan.  He made a sectarian comment in the heat of battle, I like most people agree that the ban should have been longer, but it is a hell of a leap to make that he would be opposed to Protestants in general.  I think you should delete your post.

Westside

There are protestants on the Cavan team too, none of them give a shite what Gearoid said.