National league final day. Tyrone v Cavan

Started by rrhf, April 03, 2016, 09:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: redzone on April 24, 2016, 06:12:18 PM
Didn't the other Leinster counties not all vote to keep Dublin playing at home. They would rather had their share of the money than give there teams a fair crack at it

They did, great lads, Corporate influence no doubt. Dublin will play 11 games at home this year 4 away. Last year it was 12 at home 3 away, year before 11 and 4 year before that 12 and 3 and the year before that 13 and 2,.Kildare being the Muppets we are gave up home advantage in the league. Imagine the craic in any other where on team gets to play roughly 70% of their games at home.
#newbridgeornowhere

lenny

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 24, 2016, 06:31:30 PM
Didn't the other Leinster counties not all vote to keep Dublin playing at home. They would rather had their share of the money than give there teams a fair crack at it

They did, great lads, Corporate influence no doubt. Dublin will play 11 games at home this year 4 away. Last year it was 12 at home 3 away, year before 11 and 4 year before that 12 and 3 and the year before that 13 and 2,.Kildare being the Muppets we are gave up home advantage in the league. Imagine the craic in any other where on team gets to play roughly 70% of their games at home.

The players all seem to want it as they get the chance to play at croke park.

INDIANA

how did the clare match go last night?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: INDIANA on April 24, 2016, 06:39:05 PM

The game that was played at a neutral venue? Check the thread.
#newbridgeornowhere

INDIANA

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 24, 2016, 06:44:14 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on April 24, 2016, 06:39:05 PM

The game that was played at a neutral venue? Check the thread.

Just wondering about the result. Seriously Dinny you've no right to be raising any issues in relation to Dublin when you can't beat counties with small picks like Clare. It's like Swansea thinking they can win the Premier League. That's your current level.

Dublin are not responsible for the shambolic state of Leinster Football.

Dublin did not get Kildare relegated to Div 3. Dublin did not get Westmeath relegated to Div 4. The counties are responsible for that.

When you get back to Div 1 then you may have a point but Kildare have a huge population base, a great network of clubs and a very good development system. Yet you're been in Div 3.

From the Bunker

Enjoyed seeing Kerry being put on their arse! We'll hear nothing but talk of hurting for the next 7 weeks and beyond. We'd have been hearing it anyway as a National League title means nothing down south really.  You have to remember that Kerry were without Maher and JOD! Two important players.

Dublin are virtually unbeatable at home. They naturally know Croker inside out. Plus the large partisan crowd! That aligned to a super group means all the Major Aces! The rest of are fading while Dublin are growing.

Zulu

Thought it was an excellent game overall, especially the first half. Not sure what Kerry were trying in the second half, they seemed to have only one plan - lump it in on a very isolated Donaghy.

JoG2

Quote from: Zulu on April 24, 2016, 09:51:30 PM
Thought it was an excellent game overall, especially the first half. Not sure what Kerry were trying in the second half, they seemed to have only one plan - lump it in on a very isolated Donaghy.

They lumped it up in the last 20 as they were collectively gassed.  The key difference today was conditioning.  There was a kick of a ball in it with 10 to go and that was with Dublin benefitting from both keepers kickouts.  Add Kerrys age profile to Dublins conditioning and I can't really see Kerry troubling the Dubs this summer or for a while to come. 
Donegal,  who were conditioned to crazy levels (or as close to Dublin levels as another county can get these days) did get one over on them with a major rub of the green on the day and fair play to them.  Dublin would need to implode big time and everything click for the likes of Mayo,  Donegal or even Kerry to beat them @ CP this year

Jinxy

Kerry have way too much tall, slow-moving timber to see out the last 10-15 minutes of a game against Dublin.
This was particularly evident around the middle of the field.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

moysider

Quote from: Jinxy on April 24, 2016, 11:36:34 PM
Kerry have way too much tall, slow-moving timber to see out the last 10-15 minutes of a game against Dublin.

What else can they do I suppose? That tall timber is still the core of their team. I'm sure if they had better young blood they would be in there. Not like Kerry to miss a trick. If they had alternatives they would be using them. O Mahoney and Marc still there for a reason. I dunno what to make of that Murphy lad though and his role this year. Looks lost at times and then comes up with some good stuff. I honestly think Kerry have milked the last out of the older lads and overachieved (with some help) in recent years.

heffo

Quote from: Jinxy on April 24, 2016, 11:36:34 PM

Donaghy makes big Aido look mobile

beer baron

Disappointing from a Cavan viewpoint. Tyrone had us well sussed out, Mc Kiernan very well marshalled and their sweeping in front of the full back line worked really well.
This wasn't the same Cavan side that played in the league though,i think we showed both Tyrone and the pitch a bit too much respect for a lot of the game. We've been pushing high on the kickouts all year yet there was little of that yesterday and a lot of our good play has been through getting Mc Kiernan isolated one on one on the wings with a bit of space but we couldn't create it yesterday. Peter Harte as ever was the orchestrator in chief for  them particularly in the first half, hard not to appreciate what he does even when against your own side,he does everything effortlessly and rarely picks the wrong option. Make no mistakes about it Tyrone are a serious outfit and i'll be surprised now if they don't win Ulster.

As for the second game i don't know what people expected from Kerry but i was expecting them to lose and lose by quite a few scores. Fitzmaurice is no mug and he's not going to use up whatever masterplan he's concocting in April. They left 2 and 3 men in their backline at times yesterday and won't be doing that come summertime of that i'm sure.
Kerry still have Maher and O Donoghue to come back in and Johnny Buckley a decent option too and Tommy Walsh will surely come good at some stage too and Gooch showed glimpses of his genius yesterday whenever they got him the ball.

I give Kerry every chance of winning the big one this summer but it all depends on Fitzmaurices gameplan for when they inevitably meet the Dubs who despite being a very impressive outfit aren't the unbeatables some people seem to think. I had a right good punt on the Dubs winning it out last year as i couldn't see anyone laying a glove on them but i'll not be doing similar this season.

Gooch for player of the year and Kerry for the All Ireland with Tyrone winning Ulster is my early season predictions, i've been wrong before and i'll be wrong again but no harm sticking the neck out  :).

laceer

Serious difference in the pace of the first and second games yesterday. Tyrone seemed to be able to hold Cavan at arms length without ever killing them off. This has happened throughout the league and I think that lack of ruthlessness will stand against them later in the year.

I think Tyrone can defend well enough to keep themselves in contention vs Kerry/Dublin/Mayo but I'm not convinced they will score enough - I hope I'm wrong. McAliskey was impressive yesterday and while Cavanagh's influence is waining, he is still good for 3 or 4 points a game. Dublin's full forward line of Brogan, Connolly and Mannion is on a different level.

beer baron

Quote from: laceer on April 25, 2016, 09:23:06 AM
Serious difference in the pace of the first and second games yesterday. Tyrone seemed to be able to hold Cavan at arms length without ever killing them off. This has happened throughout the league and I think that lack of ruthlessness will stand against them later in the year.

I think Tyrone can defend well enough to keep themselves in contention vs Kerry/Dublin/Mayo but I'm not convinced they will score enough - I hope I'm wrong. McAliskey was impressive yesterday and while Cavanagh's influence is waining, he is still good for 3 or 4 points a game. Dublin's full forward line of Brogan, Connolly and Mannion is on a different level.

Unreal the difference, was like 2 different sports almost :o

BennyHarp

Well done to Tyrone yesterday, minimum of fuss - move on now to bigger things! First target must be winning Ulster and establishing ourselves as the top team in the province again! You can't expect to win AI's if you aren't the best team in your province. If we can do that, I just have this feeling that our style is all wrong for Dublin and we may well be the team most likely to give them problems. Whether we can score enough to actually beat them (especially if we don't find a reliable free taker) is another matter.
That was never a square ball!!