National league final day. Tyrone v Cavan

Started by rrhf, April 03, 2016, 09:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakleafgael

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 15, 2016, 11:30:29 AM
Genuine question and the answer is something I have missed somewhere but why does Harte boycott RTE. that article mentioned a stance any father would take. Did RTE say something untoward regarding the tragedy the Harte family went through?

Are you being disingenuous or have you been living under a rock?

Fuzzman

Try google Tonto.

Whelan was hilarious last year in his defence of Dublin. Was it the incident with Philly McMahon and O'Shea or something else where he really dug his heels in and made a bit of a fool of himself.

Simple question which I doubt you'll answer directly Hound.
If a Tyrone defender stuck his fingers in D.Connolly's eye the EXACT same way McCarthy did do you think there would have been a different reaction from the media and the CCCC?

redhandefender

I thought it funny watching Laochra Gael last week on Giles Whelan going on about Trevor Giles short sleeved shirt warranted a few extra clips from our boys and then giggling.

After some of the mouthing he done last year about tyrone.

Westside

Quote from: beer baron on April 14, 2016, 10:20:13 PM
Quote from: Westside on April 14, 2016, 06:23:48 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 13, 2016, 11:25:44 PM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on April 13, 2016, 09:41:06 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 05, 2016, 04:07:57 PM
Have any of the Cavan lads been on to say they don't care about winning this yet?
I remember the year Monaghan beat us (in comical circumstances) in the Division 2 final.
It was like an All-Ireland to them.

F*ckin right it was.. and I for one take no shame in that. Beating Meath any day is fierce craic, especially in Croke Park with the last kick of the ball and, it was the first piece of silverware we won in 17 years! You'll probably behave similarly over the next few years, now that the boot is on the other foot.
The buffoon comic effect was entirely provided by Meath and  was enjoyed immensely by Monaghan folk.

This year final  i'm curious to see how Cavan fare against Tyrone,  they are grinding out their way to being contenders in Ulster this year.

Odd use of the word "grinding"...

Expectation in Cavan is low. We have improved this year but probably not enough to beat Tyrone in Croke Park.

Speak for yourself. I give us every chance and the numbers that will be travelling suggest i'm not alone in thinking so.

The crowd going is no representation of the expectation though baron in fairness. There would be a huge Cavan crowd regardless of who we were playing. I don't expect us to roll over and let Tyrone tickle our bellies by any means but would I be moderately surprised if we won? Yes. There's very little in the form guide to point to a Cavan win barring two dropped points by Tyrone when they were already promoted. We're at 2/1 with the bookies.

Really looking forward to this game, 32,000 tickets sold already.

Any word on Seanie's fitness for this?

beer baron

I noticed we're 2/1  with the bookies and think that definitely undervalues our chances, i'd have us about 6/4 at best if i was forming a book and i'll be having a go but i'll sit tight for a few days and hope someone goes 9/4.

Tyrone and plenty watching on TV or neutrals there on the day will be getting a big shock  at how we're playing now and the layout of our team. I can't remember the last time(if ever) we had 3 men over 6ft 2 or 3 in the forward line and all with ability although Givney's point taking leaves a bit to be desired so far this year  ;D
From my speaking to lads around Cootehill/Drung/Cavan Town etc  there's plenty of optimism and i'll be very disappointed if it's anything other than a very tight game and give us every chance of getting the win.

tonto1888

Quote from: oakleafgael on April 15, 2016, 11:50:36 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on April 15, 2016, 11:30:29 AM
Genuine question and the answer is something I have missed somewhere but why does Harte boycott RTE. that article mentioned a stance any father would take. Did RTE say something untoward regarding the tragedy the Harte family went through?

Are you being disingenuous or have you been living under a rock?

Like I said, genuine question and the answer is something I have missed somewhere. I live in Manchester, so yeah, under a rock

tonto1888

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 15, 2016, 11:58:04 AM
Try google Tonto.

I honestly didn't know that and I don't know how I missed it

Hound

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 15, 2016, 11:58:04 AM
Simple question which I doubt you'll answer directly Hound.
If a Tyrone defender stuck his fingers in D.Connolly's eye the EXACT same way McCarthy did do you think there would have been a different reaction from the media and the CCCC?
This is the typical woe is me whataboutery that some Tyrone fans love!

There would have been no different reaction.

Whatever about anyone's personal views, there is clearly debate about whether it was deliberate or not. At normal speed the eye contact looked accidental, in slow motion it looked deliberate.

On the live broadcast James Horan was adamant that it was accidental - do you think James Horan would have had a different view if it was a Tyrone offender?
On Setanta's highlights Paul Galvin said it was accidental.
On the RTE highlights Tomas OSe and James McCartan both said it was deliberate.
So a mixed media reaction.

McCarthy was yellow carded for the incident. Not impossible, but extremely rare that an incident where the ref gives a card is re-looked at by CCCC. Particulary so when there is doubt surrounding it. Repeat the exact facts for any other player in a similar profile match and the outcome would have been the same. But it seems for some to suit the Tyrone mantra to think otherwise.

Fuzzman

Very low key build up before the 2 league finals with not even a thread for the Dubs v Kerry game.
Are many of ye coming down from Tyrone for the game. I'd say Cavan could outnumber us as I think a lot of Tyrone fans have lost the appetite from last decade.

Looks a decent team he's putting out and interesting he's got Justy back in at CHB.

Throw ball

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 22, 2016, 03:54:25 PM
Very low key build up before the 2 league finals with not even a thread for the Dubs v Kerry game.
Are many of ye coming down from Tyrone for the game. I'd say Cavan could outnumber us as I think a lot of Tyrone fans have lost the appetite from last decade.

Looks a decent team he's putting out and interesting he's got Justy back in at CHB.

I assume McMahon is centre back to man mark McKeirnan? He is a main player for Cavan and physically imposing. Good player too.

Tommo2

Looks like Sunday is going to be a sell out. Almost 80k tickets sold. Should be a great buzz in the stadium, once the Dubs come in after Super Sunday.

T Fearon

Two mediocre Ulster teams who will hardly attract neutrals who will be there in their droves to see Kerry and Dublin

beer baron

Quote from: T Fearon on April 22, 2016, 07:46:06 PM
Two mediocre Ulster teams who will hardly attract neutrals who will be there in their droves to see Kerry and Dublin

Haha, you're a divil  ;D

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Hound on April 15, 2016, 11:18:49 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on April 15, 2016, 10:42:35 AM

RTE pundits Joe Brolly, Ciaran Whelan and Colm O'Rourke launched stinging criticisms of Tyrone. O'Rourke complained of a "smell" about Tyrone, while Whelan said that the Red Hands should "apologise" for McCann's antics.

there is definitely a woe is me, the world is against us vibe that Tyrone like to play up. Presumably to build up the siege mentality.

For example the above indicates that Ciaran Whelan said that Tyrone should apologise for McCann's antics, whereas what he actually said was, based on his own experience of getting bad press from disciplinary incidents, was that Tiernan should apologise on the Monday morning for a stupid thing he did in the heat of the moment, and then that would immediately mean the incident was over and done with, rather than being dragged on by the media for days or weeks (or months now given the Tyrone lads love keep bringing it up!)

There have been plenty of dives in GAA, but that was by far and away the most obvious / worst feigning of injury in a high profile game, which is why it got more attention than any prior or subsequent transgressions.

Ciaran Whelan said McCann "should" come out and apologise.

He didn't look for Philly McMahon or Johnny Cooper to apologise, in fact, he actually tried to defend their actions and downplay the attention that should be attributed to them. Blatant double standards and hypocrisy, something the southern media are experts at. To go by RTE's mantra, a bad smell must follow the Dublin senior GAA teams around with the multiple biting incidents their players have been involved in (O'Gara and O'Brien) in recent seasons, the multiple gouging incidents (McCarthy and McMahon), the multiple mass scale brawls in friendly matches (Armagh in football, Galway in hurling) and the other unsavoury incidents involving their players - (Cooper's potentially career ending challenge on O'Connor last year, the same player also deliberately collapsing his knees onto a prone John Heslin in the Leinster final). MacAuley regularly acting the tr**p, Connolly's violent past.

Yet we don't have people in the media pushing this narrative about Dublin even though if they were to abide by their own standards, a bad smell follows Dublin senior GAA players throughout the years.

Itchy

Quote from: beer baron on April 22, 2016, 08:06:14 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on April 22, 2016, 07:46:06 PM

Haha, you're a divil  ;D

Mediocre attempt at baiting more like.