Monaghan v Donegal 03/04 Blaney 2pm

Started by Main Street, March 31, 2016, 12:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 03, 2016, 11:19:26 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 03, 2016, 11:17:12 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 03, 2016, 10:59:53 PM
Will Donegal have a go at winning the league? I know the last number of years it has been a awkward distraction to their first round Championship games v Tyrone. But this year they have a bye to the Quarters and the lesser lights of Fermanagh/Antrim await. Last year they had no interest in winning their semi final.

Is there any realistic chance of us beating Dublin?
If we can run them to a point, why not?
There are such things as anomalies to explain us running Dublin to a point:)

Donegal don't take this semi final part of the league seriously and I do not blame them, it's as if the players are being asked to do overtime without pay, after working their bollix off since January. They have already cut back on training schedule.
"I said after the first three games we have not done a lot of work given the age profile of the players," Gallagher said afterwards. "I think that is definitely a factor but I wouldn't say it is the only factor that we have tired in the last 10 or 15 minutes.
"Monaghan were up for the game and in front of their own supporters and you could hear the roar going up every time they scored or turned over the possession. We are just disappointed that we did not produce the level of performance in the second half after what I thought was an excellent first half performance."

GrandMasterFlash

Delighted with the win given the nature of the game. I'm delighted also for the players/management that they will be playing division 1 football for another year. As stated, this is a massive achievement for a small county like ourselves who are in transition. MOR has came in for some criticism of late but to be fair to him he has tried to blend youth with experience which is a challenge.

The never say die attitude within the team was there in abundance yesterday and was typified by Walshe getting up the field to pop the winner over.

Monaghan only got into the game when the kickouts were put down the middle to K Hughes; two kickouts, two scores.. The short kick-out experiment needs to happen less often, especially against the likes of Donegal who will push up on them and have a tight defensive unit.

Drew Wylie was excellent I thought and stopped a number of Donegal attacks. Darren Hughes was largely anonymous in the first half but came into the game in the second. McManus kept the scoreboard ticking over but missed some frees that would be bread n butter to him normally. The free taking has been well below par this league campaign in general.. K Hughes attempt looked over from where we were standing.

If they'd have been beaten it would have been 5 on the bounce which would no doubt have been deflating for the team. So, good to finish with a win and stay in the division.

Down on June 5th next; they'll come to that game with little pressure and will no doubt throw everything at Monaghan (memories from 2012 in the Athletic Grounds come flooding back...)

SouthDublinBro

Donegal don't deserve another match against Dublin. Would have preferred Mayo to grab the last playoff spot.

imtommygunn

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on April 04, 2016, 02:07:18 PM
Delighted with the win given the nature of the game. I'm delighted also for the players/management that they will be playing division 1 football for another year. As stated, this is a massive achievement for a small county like ourselves who are in transition. MOR has came in for some criticism of late but to be fair to him he has tried to blend youth with experience which is a challenge.

The never say die attitude within the team was there in abundance yesterday and was typified by Walshe getting up the field to pop the winner over.

Monaghan only got into the game when the kickouts were put down the middle to K Hughes; two kickouts, two scores.. The short kick-out experiment needs to happen less often, especially against the likes of Donegal who will push up on them and have a tight defensive unit.

Drew Wylie was excellent I thought and stopped a number of Donegal attacks. Darren Hughes was largely anonymous in the first half but came into the game in the second. McManus kept the scoreboard ticking over but missed some frees that would be bread n butter to him normally. The free taking has been well below par this league campaign in general.. K Hughes attempt looked over from where we were standing.

If they'd have been beaten it would have been 5 on the bounce which would no doubt have been deflating for the team. So, good to finish with a win and stay in the division.

Down on June 5th next; they'll come to that game with little pressure and will no doubt throw everything at Monaghan (memories from 2012 in the Athletic Grounds come flooding back...)

What is darren hughes's proper / best position? Is he a midfielder, defender or a forward?? It is very hard to tell.

Schkite

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 04, 2016, 05:57:55 PM

What is darren hughes's proper / best position? Is he a midfielder, defender or a forward?? It is very hard to tell.

That's a tough one, given he's literally played in every position from goalkeeper to full forward! I used to think it was centre-back, then he settled into midfield for a while and that seemed to suit him. Then after him doing well for Scotstown at full-forward there was a thought he could be tried there. Personally I'd have him in the half-forward line where he can drop back to help out midfield(where I'd play the brother), and Darren could also go forward to hit the odd score.

imtommygunn

He strikes me as a midfielder who's perhaps a bit small for midfield so better round half forward line roving.

I know he was great in ff for scotstown but i still think he's more natural out the field and very good at running at defenses from out the field.

Always wondered as he always seems to play somewhere different every time i see him.

Main Street

Quote from: Schkite on April 04, 2016, 07:54:15 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 04, 2016, 05:57:55 PM

That's a tough one, given he's literally played in every position from goalkeeper to full forward! I used to think it was centre-back, then he settled into midfield for a while and that seemed to suit him. Then after him doing well for Scotstown at full-forward there was a thought he could be tried there. Personally I'd have him in the half-forward line where he can drop back to help out midfield(where I'd play the brother), and Darren could also go forward to hit the odd score.
i'd agree with that to an extent, but half forward for Monaghan means somewhere between half back and midfield. I thought one of  Darren's valuable strengths was breaking through the line as  O'Connell can do.  Darren is a player who' suffers because of his" total footballability".

What's Kieran's best position? I'd have though it was in the half forward to full forward line.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on April 04, 2016, 05:47:25 PM
Donegal don't deserve another match against Dublin. Would have preferred Mayo to grab the last playoff spot.

4th in the league, they deserve it.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

timmyot501

Considering the lack of alternatives I think Kieran should be midfield. Darren is a tough one. I always liked him at centre back. But he was worth a go at ff after his club form last year. It hasn't really worked. Some of that is due to the supply and some due to being marked by better players and systems. I'd play him at 12.

Main Street

Quote from: BluestackBoy on April 04, 2016, 10:08:11 PM

4th in the league, they deserve it.
Don't mind that gobs, Donegal havenĀ“t been forgiven for  having the temerity of actually beating the Dubs  on merit in the AI semi final.

Main Street

Quote from: timmyot501 on April 04, 2016, 10:15:08 PM
Considering the lack of alternatives I think Kieran should be midfield. Darren is a tough one. I always liked him at centre back. But he was worth a go at ff after his club form last year. It hasn't really worked. Some of that is due to the supply and some due to being marked by better players and systems. I'd play him at 12.
I think Darren at FF is a woeful choice due to being marked by better defenders than at club level.
Not that Darren is woeful at FF,  but he is more effective out the field for Monaghan.
I suppose the question is more, who is best to play at FF to support McManus.

Schkite

Quote from: Main Street on April 04, 2016, 10:32:02 PM
I think Darren at FF is a woeful choice due to being marked by better defenders than at club level.
Not that Darren is woeful at FF,  but he is more effective out the field for Monaghan.

I'd say Kieran's best position is up front with McManus, he has a great pair of hands and can score well. But I think we need him in midfield given our current options. It's like Vinny in 2007, we could do with two of him.

I thought after seeing Darren in the Ulster club that they could swap and Darren could play off Conor, but it hasn't worked so far anyway. I'd have Darren as a roaming half-forward so long as he doesn't get too defensive as you say. His best play has often come from running at the opposing defence and either shooting or creating space for others to get a shot off.

J70

Don't worry, we'll tiptoe along, caps in hand, being careful not to make any noise, bowing down before our superior city masters. ::)

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Schkite on April 04, 2016, 11:31:05 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 04, 2016, 10:32:02 PM

I'd say Kieran's best position is up front with McManus, he has a great pair of hands and can score well. But I think we need him in midfield given our current options. It's like Vinny in 2007, we could do with two of him.

I thought after seeing Darren in the Ulster club that they could swap and Darren could play off Conor, but it hasn't worked so far anyway. I'd have Darren as a roaming half-forward so long as he doesn't get too defensive as you say. His best play has often come from running at the opposing defence and either shooting or creating space for others to get a shot off.

Exactly, so I'd have him on the half-forward line, in an ideal world. We don't have the luxury of an abundance of mid-fielders so he'll likely feature there IMO.