Armagh v Derry

Started by bennydorano, March 29, 2016, 10:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

Was impressed at times with Armagh today but still jittery in defence and not ruthless enough to put a team to bed. Shame about relegation. A poor start to the league and throwing the Galway match away to blame. I thought Rafferty played very well today.

Sportacus

My god it's strange watching some of the movement of modern day footballers.  Forker trundled back 80 yards with his back to the ball on several occasions when Armagh lost possession and Derry were so slow at moving it up the field he was able to get back in time, all tactics and no instincts.

It was great watching Campbell play full forward and coming out to lay a ball off or take a score over his shoulder, natural footballer playing with a bit of confidence.  Derry needed a goal with a few minutes left and when they went up the pitch there was only one man inside the 45.  Scullion went ballistic on their sideline.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on April 01, 2016, 08:13:46 PM
Tyrone will beat Fermanagh, too many boys playing for positions in the summer.
Any win for Armagh will be enough to keep them up.
Armagh by 3.

I know my stuff. Sorry, lads.

stew

Brutal to go down, losing to Laois was a killer, especially at home, we have made progress but the modern game is hard to watch at times, we played some great stuff yesterday and some of the scores were tremendous, Ulster is weak, Donegal or Cavan will win Ulster but we could go on a run and get to the aiqf, it could happen if we got the right draws.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

No wides

Quote from: stew on April 04, 2016, 09:15:39 AM
Brutal to go down, losing to Laois was a killer, especially at home, we have made progress but the modern game is hard to watch at times, we played some great stuff yesterday and some of the scores were tremendous, Ulster is weak, Donegal or Cavan will win Ulster but we could go on a run and get to the aiqf, it could happen if we got the right draws.

Stew you have to be realistic, if we can't beat Laois we ain't going on any run, by the way anyone know what happened young beefer, looked like he landed on his arm.

stew

Quote from: Orior on March 31, 2016, 11:48:21 AM
Let's face it. Division 3 is where we (Armagh) belong at the moment.

I disagree, we are a division 2 side that were very unlucky to go down, we had a dreadful start to the campaign and went down on six points, we willbounce back up no bother.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

lurganblue

Quote from: No wides on April 04, 2016, 09:31:34 AM
Quote from: stew on April 04, 2016, 09:15:39 AM

Stew you have to be realistic, if we can't beat Laois we ain't going on any run, by the way anyone know what happened young beefer, looked like he landed on his arm.

When he first went down i was thinking he's just embarrassed because he made a ball of the situation.  Seems there was a bit more to it.

No wides

I thought the same to be honest, though I have saw lads break arms from such small looking falls, hope he is OK, has impressed in the last few outings though did seem to do a bit of wandering yesterday.

mackers

What a weird league campaign that was for Armagh. If, at the start of the league, we had been told that we would draw with Tyrone and Galway and beat Derry you wouldn't have given relegation a second thought and would have been thinking of promotion.  Our lack of depth in the panel cost us in the early rounds but even the return of 3 or 4 players turned things round for us.  Colm Watters deserves special mention as he has been excellent over the last few games.  Rory Grugan is starting to show his true worth after a stuttering start to his senior career between injuries and time away.  Both Ciaran O'Hanlon and Ethan Rafferty showed well yesterday also.
We have complained about the lack of a kickout strategy but one is starting to appear (Derry's kickouts were awful yesterday and must have led to 4/5 points).
I would be much more optimistic about a summer run now than I would have been 4 to 6 weeks ago.  Away to Cavan will be a tall order but we have a chance of making the q/fs one way or another.  The real effect of relegation will be felt in next year's championship.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

ziggysego

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on April 03, 2016, 10:02:45 PM
Armagh by 3.

Nope. It was a draw. Sorry lad.
Testing Accessibility

No wides

Quote from: ziggysego on April 04, 2016, 11:44:35 AM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on April 03, 2016, 10:02:45 PM
Armagh by 3.

Nope. It was a draw. Sorry lad.

He was being sarcastic ffs.

lurganblue

Quote from: mackers on April 04, 2016, 10:54:36 AM
What a weird league campaign that was for Armagh. If, at the start of the league, we had been told that we would draw with Tyrone and Galway and beat Derry you wouldn't have given relegation a second thought and would have been thinking of promotion.  Our lack of depth in the panel cost us in the early rounds but even the return of 3 or 4 players turned things round for us.  Colm Watters deserves special mention as he has been excellent over the last few games.  Rory Grugan is starting to show his true worth after a stuttering start to his senior career between injuries and time away.  Both Ciaran O'Hanlon and Ethan Rafferty showed well yesterday also.
We have complained about the lack of a kickout strategy but one is starting to appear (Derry's kickouts were awful yesterday and must have led to 4/5 points).
I would be much more optimistic about a summer run now than I would have been 4 to 6 weeks ago.  Away to Cavan will be a tall order but we have a chance of making the q/fs one way or another.  The real effect of relegation will be felt in next year's championship.

Derry had a strategy and in fairness the made good runs outfield to get in position to receive the kickouts.  Problem was the accuracy of the kicks.  Must have kicked 5/6 over the sideline

balladmaker

2017 in Div 3 is a year wasted for Armagh, we badly needed to stay up and consolidate a Div 2 position, but losing to Laois at home, and then blowing the Galway lead paved the way for Armagh's relegation yesterday.  Armagh will no doubt bounce straight back up again, but it's still a year wasted.  Armagh are well capable of taking a few scalps in the Championship, but I think it will be via the backdoor route. 2017 in Div 3 won't do much for Championship preparation next year. 

Applesisapples

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 01, 2016, 02:53:09 PM
f**king joke,  no Cross men,  typical bias and you wonder why the county is where it is,  f**king joke.
I would agree that there should be Cross players there, but why are they missing?

T Fearon

Relegation really is inexcusable in my opinion,after coming out of Div 3 last year.With four home games where was the strategy? Winning the Laois game should have been a prime target after losing to Meath in the first game,but another two points were casually tossed away.