Cavan v Galway (Sunday 3rd April 2016 2pm - Breffni Park)

Started by Westside, March 28, 2016, 01:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Quote from: Westside on March 29, 2016, 01:00:51 PM
Well Galway won't need to worry too much about giving away frees in the wider reaches of the scoring zone. Our free taking is very haphazard. Gearoid, Johnston, Galligan and Martin Reilly are all interchanging. We badly need to sort it out before Championship.

How is Danny Cummins going this year? Caused us a world of grief last year and but for poor finishing he could have been the game winner for Galway.
He hasn't been a regular though he was injured for some of the league games. I'd like to see him in there ahead of Eddie Hoare on Sunday.

galwayman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 29, 2016, 02:07:40 PM
Well Galway won't need to worry too much about giving away frees in the wider reaches of the scoring zone. Our free taking is very haphazard. Gearoid, Johnston, Galligan and Martin Reilly are all interchanging. We badly need to sort it out before Championship.

How is Danny Cummins going this year? Caused us a world of grief last year and but for poor finishing he could have been the game winner for Galway.

You've just summed Cummins up, if only his finishing matched the other aspects of his game; He lacks a bit of composure but he'd still be in the Galway team if I was picking it.
Adrian Varley is similar. His finishing isn't up to standard either. Not good for a guy playing ff

Maroon Manc

Quote from: galwayman on March 29, 2016, 02:11:36 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 29, 2016, 02:07:40 PM

You've just summed Cummins up, if only his finishing matched the other aspects of his game; He lacks a bit of composure but he'd still be in the Galway team if I was picking it.
Adrian Varley is similar. His finishing isn't up to standard either. Not good for a guy playing ff

I'd prefer Cummins to start ahead of Varley but in fairness to Varley I've been over to a game this year and have seen next to nothing on TV.

I can understand why so many are a bit despondent given our last 3 results but to be fair to KW its hard to make an assessment of where were at until after Sundays game. 

seafoid

Duine Eile

Snap! I think we had 4 different free takers last Sunday, one of whom missed a 14m free before half time, unforgivable. Sice is probably our most reliable kicker from the right wing but there's days he's hit and miss too.

beer baron

The real headscratcher with regards the frees for me is we seem to take Galligan up for the frees that look suited to a left footed kicker and let Martin Reilly take the ones that suit a right footed kicker  :o Leaves both of them trying to kick scores off the ground from 40/50 metres with the outside of their boot almost.

twohands!!!

Quote from: mouview on March 29, 2016, 02:04:55 PMOn balance I agree with an earlier suggestion that it would probably be better for Galway to get promoted and expose our players consistently to top-class opponents, not withstanding the fact that they would probably get several absolute hidings in Div. I. However, I'm not sure if many supporters realise how truly ordinary this Galway team is, really, really average. Bad keeper, porous defence, inconsistent midfield, few natural scoring forwards, too much lateral attacking play etc. We have loads of players at the back that are 'good going forward' but maybe none that can do the primary task of defending well. We've gone back even since last year I feel, and last Sunday was just one of several nadirs (incl. c'ship defeats to Antrim and Wexford (at home!)) in recent years. Respect to Fermanagh, but if we can't beat a county with the smallest playing resources in the GAA, a county who have lost all other league matches to us, were down to 14 men and who had to retrieve a lead against the wind, then we really need to take a look at where we're going. Very little faith left in the mgmt. after Sunday.

If Galway didn't get promoted and had a poor/average/disappointing summer might Walsh be under pressure to move on next Autumn?

Jinxy

Quote from: Itchy on March 28, 2016, 11:26:53 PM
Ah come on. No big games in Connacht? What about the appearance in the quarter finals. Seafood, you are making no sense yet again. Stick to freeing women's nipples.

What in the name of God...
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 29, 2016, 02:51:12 PM
Quote from: mouview on March 29, 2016, 02:04:55 PMOn balance I agree with an earlier suggestion that it would probably be better for Galway to get promoted and expose our players consistently to top-class opponents, not withstanding the fact that they would probably get several absolute hidings in Div. I. However, I'm not sure if many supporters realise how truly ordinary this Galway team is, really, really average. Bad keeper, porous defence, inconsistent midfield, few natural scoring forwards, too much lateral attacking play etc. We have loads of players at the back that are 'good going forward' but maybe none that can do the primary task of defending well. We've gone back even since last year I feel, and last Sunday was just one of several nadirs (incl. c'ship defeats to Antrim and Wexford (at home!)) in recent years. Respect to Fermanagh, but if we can't beat a county with the smallest playing resources in the GAA, a county who have lost all other league matches to us, were down to 14 men and who had to retrieve a lead against the wind, then we really need to take a look at where we're going. Very little faith left in the mgmt. after Sunday.

If Galway didn't get promoted and had a poor/average/disappointing summer might Walsh be under pressure to move on next Autumn?
after 1 year? Mulholland got time to settle things down. Getting Galway back to the top is a strategic play rather than a single bet. Mayo will decline. Ros may or may not have the smarts. Donegal will retreat. Monaghan have only one forward. The Dubs will crash and burn. Kerry will win half of the finals they compete in...

galwayman

Two years.hes already had a year in charge.
You'd want to be showing some signs of improvement after 2 seasons in charge I would have thought.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: mouview on March 29, 2016, 02:04:55 PMOn balance I agree with an earlier suggestion that it would probably be better for Galway to get promoted and expose our players consistently to top-class opponents, not withstanding the fact that they would probably get several absolute hidings in Div. I. However, I'm not sure if many supporters realise how truly ordinary this Galway team is, really, really average. Bad keeper, porous defence, inconsistent midfield, few natural scoring forwards, too much lateral attacking play etc. We have loads of players at the back that are 'good going forward' but maybe none that can do the primary task of defending well. We've gone back even since last year I feel, and last Sunday was just one of several nadirs (incl. c'ship defeats to Antrim and Wexford (at home!)) in recent years. Respect to Fermanagh, but if we can't beat a county with the smallest playing resources in the GAA, a county who have lost all other league matches to us, were down to 14 men and who had to retrieve a lead against the wind, then we really need to take a look at where we're going. Very little faith left in the mgmt. after Sunday.[/b

Walsh will be gone if that happens I can imagine. John Divilly looks like the ideal replacement and would get more out of this Galway panel of players IMO.

seafoid

Quote from: galwayman on March 29, 2016, 06:01:48 PM
You'd want to be showing some signs of improvement after 2 seasons in charge I would have thought.
how long did Mulholland get?

galwayman

Quote from: seafoid on March 29, 2016, 07:20:26 PM
Quote from: galwayman on March 29, 2016, 06:01:48 PM
how long did Mulholland get?
Three seasons 2012-2014.

mouview

Quote from: seafoid on March 29, 2016, 05:50:02 PM

after 1 year? Mulholland got time to settle things down. Getting Galway back to the top is a strategic play rather than a single bet. Mayo will decline. Ros may or may not have the smarts. Donegal will retreat. Monaghan have only one forward. The Dubs will crash and burn. Kerry will win half of the finals they compete in...

Yes Seaf, but last Sunday was simply a fundamental managerial test that shouldn't be failed, whether 1 or 10 years in the job. You cannot contrive to blow a strong winning position that Galway had after 41 or so minutes.

seafoid