Rossies v the Dubs, being played somewhere next Sunday.

Started by giveballaghback, March 28, 2016, 12:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

I usually avoid Rossie treads for obvious reasons, but this has been worthwhile.

weareros

Comical Ali stuff from Ros GAA on Friday tweeting that the April Fools jokes were rubbish and the game would definitely go ahead in Hyde Park. I would have thought our PRO who writes an astute political column for the Roscommon Herald every week forecasting how the government situation will pan out would have been able to employ those same forecasting skills from seeing the scuttering rain that started Friday to know that Hyde Park would be unplayable. However, the Dublin supporters, who must have thought a trip to Roscommon, which is a relatively easy 2hr drive on the motorway or a train trip on day of game, the equivalent of a soccer trip to Kazakhstan and booked hotels and B&Bs, only to find themselves the victims of local bus gougers have somewhat and equally comically diverted the attention from the ineptitude of the Roscommon County board. Why the Jackeens would even want to stay in Roscommon town for the weekend is even a mystery to those of us who dearly love our county, although for the real GAA fan there is some charm I suppose meeting some of the characters perched on their barstools regaling those within earshot of the glory days of the 70s. But apart from having to part with a tenner it was a great weekend for Dublin supporters with one delighted to tell a Roscommon man how he saw Bohs in Dublin on Friday and it would cap it off if the Dubs could win in Carrick for a perfect 7. The Roscommon man who gave him a lift said they were blessed to have such dry land in Leinster as it was too wet to let the Bó's out of their cattle sheds in Connacht yet, and they'd be lucky to see any from the Ros to Carrick drive, though plenty of spring lambs in the fields.

whitey

Quote from: weareros on April 04, 2016, 01:11:42 AM
Comical Ali stuff from Ros GAA on Friday tweeting that the April Fools jokes were rubbish and the game would definitely go ahead in Hyde Park. I would have thought our PRO who writes an astute political column for the Roscommon Herald every week forecasting how the government situation will pan out would have been able to employ those same forecasting skills from seeing the scuttering rain that started Friday to know that Hyde Park would be unplayable. However, the Dublin supporters, who must have thought a trip to Roscommon, which is a relatively easy 2hr drive on the motorway or a train trip on day of game, the equivalent of a soccer trip to Kazakhstan and booked hotels and B&Bs, only to find themselves the victims of local bus gougers have somewhat and equally comically diverted the attention from the ineptitude of the Roscommon County board. Why the Jackeens would even want to stay in Roscommon town for the weekend is even a mystery to those of us who dearly love our county, although for the real GAA fan there is some charm I suppose meeting some of the characters perched on their barstools regaling those within earshot of the glory days of the 70s. But apart from having to part with a tenner it was a great weekend for Dublin supporters with one delighted to tell a Roscommon man how he saw Bohs in Dublin on Friday and it would cap it off if the Dubs could win in Carrick for a perfect 7. The Roscommon man who gave him a lift said they were blessed to have such dry land in Leinster as it was too wet to let the Bó's out of their cattle sheds in Connacht yet, and they'd be lucky to see any from the Ros to Carrick drive, though plenty of spring lambs in the fields.

I know a Mayo man and his wife who spent last Saturday night in Roscommon and them a lot closer than 2 hours.....and not a huge man for porter either.  I think as you said that some people revel in the atmosphere around town the night before

rrhf

Quote from: Syferus on April 03, 2016, 11:34:54 PM
Quote from: moysider on April 03, 2016, 11:19:36 PM
Quote from: giveballaghback on April 03, 2016, 10:05:19 PM
What about the ten euro we have to pay the lockhards or our car wont be there when we get back to it.
Dont cry too hard or too long for them poor dubs, they are a 2 euro spin away from most of their matches.

Exactly, and they got to see more of their neighbouring country this weekend than they did during the rest of their lives. If they looked out the windows they might have seen wee lambs, round bales and stuff. Yanks and other tourists pay hundreds of bucks to gawk out of coaches at that kind of stuff.

But where is the man on the Sunday Game who hired a bus when there was free ones on the go going to get his tenner from, Moy? I expect Liveline will be hopping with cluchie hatin' tomorrow.
The country knew ye boyish were at it and the game wouldn't happen. Don't blame the dub supporter. Sell that flashy bus and sort out the basics..

Rossfan

We don't own the Bus and we can hardly expect our teams to walk to games.
Pitch is to be closed on 13th June for redevelopment.
The extremely wet winter and high water levels exacerbated the drainage problems that already existed.
The Co Board only got legal ownership of the Hyde last year after a long long story.
HQ wouldn't give any €s until the Co Board got the ownership.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Declan

Some craic in the wild wesht this weekend. Good pints in Beirne's of Strokestown with my friendly local host on Sat teatime followed by cards and more craic in the Silver Eel. It's a different world over that river lads. Once the word came though on Sunday morning after the breakfast it was a cross country trip through the bogs and lakes- quick recce of Kilmore's pitch - great set up and you should show the CB how its done and onto Carrick.
Rossies looked scared in the first half but played an awful lot better in the second though really we should have been home and hosed well before the frantic last 10 minutes. Good to see Kevin O'Brien and O'Gara back from injury - young McHugh showed glimpses and Davey Byrne and Carthy got on an awful lot of ball for us. Thought Mick Fitz did well and I really like Fenton as a midfielder - does the simple things well and rarely chooses the wrong option. Savage again showed his weakness under the high ball but unbeaten and the bandwagon rolls on. The craic about the tenner was just madness but a decent crowd none the less

macdanger2

I think O'Gara being back will be a big boost for Dublin (as if they need one), he's a great ball winner and gives them the option of the long ball

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: moysider on April 04, 2016, 12:38:48 AM

I usually avoid Rossie treads for obvious reasons, but this has been worthwhile.
Great reading, especially having Jinxy and AZ there

I don't know if its funnier the Rossies making such a ham fisted job of it or the dubs having to pay €10 for a complimentary bus, the Rossies not being able to decide whether it was a challenge match or a cup final

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Beffs

The whole thing was a bit like a particularly good Fr Ted episode. All that was missing was the Lovely Girls Competition and a bit of Freak Pointing. That is probably either a massive insult,  or a massive compliment, depending on your point of view, or how easily offended you are.

Kurtz

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on April 04, 2016, 12:19:46 PM
Quote from: moysider on April 04, 2016, 12:38:48 AM

Great reading, especially having Jinxy and AZ there

I don't know if its funnier the Rossies making such a ham fisted job of it or the dubs having to pay €10 for a complimentary bus, the Rossies not being able to decide whether it was a challenge match or a cup final

There is a saying in the West of Ireland "you cant tell a Mayo man anything"
looks like it maybe true for the entire west coast

Shrewdness

John Prenty has come out in defence of the Roscommon Co Board.. He himself was at Hyde Park on Friday night and the pitch was playable.. It was inspected again on Saturday by a referee and a CCC official. Again it was passed fit.. Heavy overnight rain on Saturday night caused yesterday's postponement..Not our fault...Work on an All Weather pitch in Hyde Park will commence in June, with Ros Co Board and Croke Park funding.

AZOffaly

What he actually said on Saturday was that there were some doubts about it, so they scheduled another inspection on Sunday morning, especially as there was heavy rain forecast. Now, to me, if the pitch is borderline playable, and there is more heavy rain forecast, and you know that people are travelling early the next morning, then you either cancel/postpone the game or you have alternate plans for a venue and you invoke them straight away, i.e. Saturday. Given they had to move the U21 final to even give it a chance, this is not rocket science.

I heard Prenty and the Roscommon Football Board Chairman (as he was called) on the RTE News this morning, and I don't think they were very convincing at all.

ballinaman

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 04, 2016, 01:27:30 PM
John Prenty has come out in defence of the Roscommon Co Board.. He himself was at Hyde Park on Friday night and the pitch was playable.. It was inspected again on Saturday by a referee and a CCC official. Again it was passed fit.. Heavy overnight rain on Saturday night caused yesterday's postponement..Not our fault...Work on an All Weather pitch in Hyde Park will commence in June, with Ros Co Board and Croke Park funding.
It was your fault. The excess sheep shite in Roscommon produces high levels of methane gas which is a factor in climate change.

Syferus

Great to hear the head man and noted Roscommon supporter JP coming out with a bit of sense.

Shrewdness

Ballinaman, i'll have to bow to your obviously excellent knowledge of shite.