Bravest footballer

Started by Jinxy, April 30, 2007, 02:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realredhandfan

yes and eight times as important as Mc Geeney. ;)

Bod Mor

6 pages and not one mention of Willy Joe Padden!!!!! Some man to run around the field in All-Ireland semi final against against Tyrone with his head opened. Now thats what I call brave!!!
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

Mike Sheehy

QuotePáide Ó Sé mightn't have been that big but was very tough and brave.

Indeed, his risking of a kick in the head to prevent Roscommon scoring a goal in the 1980 AI is one that springs to mind. They'd have won if that went in.

(and before the Rossies respond, no he didn't touch the ball on the ground !)

Tyrones own

Yep, definitly lucky to have those 34 no doubt :P
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Loup Bandit

I would not put Connor Gormley in the same bracket as some of the guys already mentioned, for a brave tough guy he spends a lot of time lying on the ground and calling the physio on. Has a dirty streak but cant take it away from Brian Dooher in fairness.

Fergal Doherty is definitely one of the toughest currently playing in Derry.

Crossmaglen stalwarts John Donaldson and Francie Bellew are as brave as they come.

Paidi, Dara and Tomas O'Se could also mix it with the best of them!

laughinpaddy

Quote from: Loup Bandit on May 02, 2007, 11:23:18 AM

Crossmaglen stalwarts John Donaldson and Francie Bellew are as brave as they come.

Can't agree here Loup Bandit, he would fit in here if the topic was dirty bas***d!
I ain't gettin on no plane!

Loup Bandit

awww now laughin paddy, whatever he is he has a cabinet full of medals so he must be doing something right!  :D
It cant be argued that them men dont go through the wars in the course of a game themselves!

Any suggestions yourself on bravest footballer?

There was a great ginger corner back or wing back on the Offaly team that beat Kerry in the 80's, anyone know his name? Fitzpatrick maybe?

All ginger's kind of have a tough, stubborn treak in them!  :D

laughinpaddy

He may have got a cabinet full of medals, but he never got them for being brave!
Might have something to do with transfering to Cross ;)
Anyhow would agree with Bellew, a very brave player.  Also Jhonny McGurk, as brave as Spartan!
I ain't gettin on no plane!

INDIANA

"as hard and fair as i have seen."

i'm sure mickey linden would agree with you.

Loup Bandit

We will compromise then, how about this for a back line, donaldson, bellew and johnny mc gurk? :D

I was at the cross v mayobridge ulster final and francie's tackle was heard all around casement but the referee did not deem it a dirty action! i think francie gets a lot of unfair press and his reputation certainly goes before him. Example, he got a harsh yellow card last year against kieran donaghy last year and that changed the game in my opinion!

The bauld Fay Devlin from Ardboe never gave an inch!

loughshore lad

Quote from: Loup Bandit on May 02, 2007, 02:45:43 PM

The bauld Fay Devlin from Ardboe never gave an inch!

Yes Fay was very hard on the field and also a very clean player, not one for hitting men dirty, diving etc as has been some of the criticisms aimed at other players mentioned on this thread.
One of the greatest exponents of the shoulder charge ever, saw him knock many a player on his ass - will never forget clones 95 when Tohill came charging through the Tyrone defence only to be knocked rotten by Fay.
Class act - one of the very best defenders of his generation.

Jinxy

The best lads at giving shoulders are usually the shorter, stocky individuals. Low centre of gravity and all that.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ard mhaca abu

QuotePosted on: Today at 04:21:50 PMPosted by: Jinxy 
Insert Quote
The best lads at giving shoulders are usually the shorter, stocky individuals. Low centre of gravity and all that.

exactly kieran mcgeeney nd francie bellew

Louper

Quote from: loughshore lad on May 02, 2007, 04:06:01 PM
also a very clean player, not one for hitting men dirty, diving etc as has been some of the criticisms aimed at other players mentioned on this thread.

fay devlin hit benny mcvey the dirtiest coldest box ive seen, in a challenge match at st marys playin fields in magherafelt. benny had to go off with concussion. clean?

Jinxy

Quote from: Louper on May 02, 2007, 04:44:49 PM
Quote from: loughshore lad on May 02, 2007, 04:06:01 PM
also a very clean player, not one for hitting men dirty, diving etc as has been some of the criticisms aimed at other players mentioned on this thread.

fay devlin hit benny mcvey the dirtiest coldest box ive seen, in a challenge match at st marys playin fields in magherafelt. benny had to go off with concussion. clean?

That sounds horrible.
If you were any use you'd be playing.