Bravest footballer

Started by Jinxy, April 30, 2007, 02:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

Have to give an honourable mention to Wee James Mc Cartan, had balls of steel, would have put his head in where boys wouldnt put their boots. Hardy wee fecker and a great talent.Heart like a lion.

Greg Blayney was another who put his body on the line more often than not.

seanaglis

ard mhaca abu

francie bellew-put his head on the line in any game! very couragous defender!

southderryman

alot of derry men being mentioned here ;D altho i cant believe big brian mc gilligan's name hasnt been mentioned yet ???

Feckitt

2003 All-Ireland Semi Final.  Armagh v Donegal.  A fast ball was hurtling down the field, the great one himself (never blessed with speed) was running for it, and so was the Donegal half forward.  It happened right in front of us at the Hogan stand side.  If the bould one had chickened out (yeah right), it could have gone anywhere, but most likely towards the goal.  A split second before he went down for the ball, he hesitated, because he could see that a clattering was iminent, but he then ploughed on.  The bould Francie rattled his head off the donegal lad's knee.  You could hear the knock.  It was really sickening, but he held on to the ball and got a free out.  He got up straight away, and staggered back to the edge of the square.  Joe took him off two minutes later.  He knew he was getting done, but feck it if he pulled out it could have meant a score.  I'll never forget it.  Leg-end.

Jinxy

From Cavan Bernard Morris was pretty brave although he could afford to be, the size of him. Are there any brave non-ulster players out there (meath aside obviously)? Kildare, Dublin, Cork, Kerry, Mayo ;D, Galway etc. Mickey Ned O'Sullivan was another brave man! Or should that be "foolhardy". ;)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

belleaqua

Tomas Mannion for Galway.

youngfella

Pull hard and early

sawel

One of the bravest footballers was a fellow who played for Ardmore in junior football in Derry with one arm and a only a stub as the other.
Boys it is how you define 'brave'

stew

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Jinxy

Quote from: sawel on April 30, 2007, 05:50:20 PM
One of the bravest footballers was a fellow who played for Ardmore in junior football in Derry with one arm and a only a stub as the other.
Boys it is how you define 'brave'

I've played against a couple of lads with only one arm. That in itself isn't brave, and I don't think the lads themselves would like it to be seen as such. You can still be windy with one arm! The boys I'm talking about still went in full bore though.

Brick Tamlin

erm, John Toal, catch a grip, dont start all that shite again.

Jinxy

Look, it doesn't matter if someone has one arm or one leg. I'm not talking about people that play football in the face of adversity. I'm talking about people that regularly throw themselves into challenges on the football field despite knowing there is a good chance they'll get hurt there and then (sorry, but I dunno if John Toal fits this image). In aussie rules they worship lads that run blind into a pack of lads in an attempt to mark the ball. "Backing into a pack" is what they call it and its pretty much the bravest thing you can do, as you know you will get done by somebody.

Glensman

Would really like to say Paddy Bradley...I mean I often have grievances with the referee but have never been brave enough to grab him by the throat...

Bravest??
An interesting one...arguably would have to be a smaller type player. Could argue for Brian McGilligan who would have put his body on the line for anything but not so brave when you are such a big lump of a man. Bellew would fall within that category as well.

Would therefore go along the lines of certain hardy forwards...Greg Blaney as has been said, the Gooch gets a fair beating every time he plays but plays away.

BUT if I was being completely honest I would put someone I played gaelic with when I was younger. That fella would have ran through a brick wall for the team...and often looked like he did after a match. The thing was he was arguably one of the most skillful players on the team as well - that is a very rare combination.

oneillcup2007

I admire anyone who plays gaelic sports with glasses, particularly hurling and camogie.