[D1] Roscommon v Mayo - 27/03/16 [3:30pm, Dr. Hyde Park]

Started by Syferus, March 13, 2016, 06:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 24, 2016, 01:53:17 PM
In fairness, giveballaghback is predicting Mayo's demise and world Roscommonation since he joined. He'sobviously a Mayo man pretending to be a Rossie too. ::) ::) ::)
No it's clear he is a rossie and one of those that doesn't have much love for Mayo. Before reading the drivel above I doubt any rossie would call themselves theyellowbus.

Syferus

Lads, I can smell a troll from a thousand paces and theyellowbus doesn't appear to be one at all.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Syferus on March 24, 2016, 02:34:42 PM
Lads, I can smell a troll from a thousand paces and theyellowbus doesn't appear to be one at all.
Takes one to know one   ;)

Rossfan

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 24, 2016, 02:06:09 PM
In fairness, giveballaghback is predicting Mayo's demise and world Roscommonation since he joined. He'sobviously a Mayo man pretending to be a Rossie too. ::) ::) ::)
No it's clear he is a rossie and one of those that doesn't have much love for Mayo. Before reading the drivel above I doubt any rossie would call themselves theyellowbus.
It's obviously the Kilmovee buck at it again :D
As for Sunday I hope we put out our strongest available side and go for it big time and see where that brings us. If we win enjoy it, if not let's hope our wise management will learn plenty and be ready for the BIG ONE if it materialises in July.
I see our worst nightmare is reffing. Expect 2 penalties for the Rhus as they bulldoze into a defender in the square and all fall down.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on March 24, 2016, 04:22:02 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 24, 2016, 02:06:09 PM
It's obviously the Kilmovee buck at it again :D
As for Sunday I hope we put out our strongest available side and go for it big time and see where that brings us. If we win enjoy it, if not let's hope our wise management will learn plenty and be ready for the BIG ONE if it materialises in July.
I see our worst nightmare is reffing. Expect 2 penalties for the Rhus as they bulldoze into a defender in the square and all fall down.

Unless he's the love child of Marty he's not our worst nightmare. Refs starting to cop on to AOS's head down let's-play-rugby stuff anyways.

giveballaghback

Wrong again farrendeen, I haven't the intelligence to be a Mayo man or so ye have told me many times,
the guard is starting to change but may take a little longer.
Sundays game is a nothing game for the Rossies as we have qualified for the semi, even if we lose our last 2 games we will still qualify. The extra game will bring us on a lot . Ros had 2 targets for this year, stay in div 1 and qualify for a quarter final next August by whatever route.
Next Fridays u21 match is much more important for us than next Sundays game which is a dead rubber as far as we are concerned.
So dont be getting excited over there in the land of rhubarb, this game is important in yere minds only.   

Farrandeelin

I know you're not a Mayoman. Neither is theyellowbus I'm sure. But don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

blast05

Quote from: theyellowbus on March 24, 2016, 11:36:28 AM
Really do believe we are building ourselves up for a fall this Sunday.
While we have improved in a lot of areas we have to take into context where other teams in the division are at and I firmly believe that some of these teams took the field against us with an intensity and attitude that didn't show us any respect to be honest and thus allowed us sometimes easy rides.For example I could not understand how off the pace in the first half Donegal were and they played that first half with a very lax attitude.Compare that to the second half where they absolutely blitzed us and only for the sending off I believe we would have ended up losing the game.
We have played very well in all the games this year but this false dawn s**t of the new force in Connacht is so annoying when all we done is won a few games in the league.No disrespect to new York,London or Leitrim we haven't won a Connacht championship game of any note since 2010 and that was against a good Sligo team who if had maybe been fully focused on the job in hand might have beaten us.We haven't beaten Mayo in Connacht championship in 15 years lads wake up and smell the coffee.
We seem to hold way too much regard for Connacht Minor and U21 titles now than Senior which in fairness are great to get but Senior is where it is at and until we translate that into results and achievements at that level we have nothing to be getting brave about.
I'm sick going to different grounds over the years getting our asses handed to us come championship time after false dawns in the league.
Ill enjoy the league success as much as the next man but until its translated into championship results and achievements its only like the oul fella cooking sunday roast when the oul wans away edible but soon forgotten.

Regardless of whether you're a troll, i think that post is spot on!!
To my mind at least, it looks fairly apparent that a lot of the teams Roscommon have played have not given them the credit they deserved (albeit one could argue that for the first couple of games at least that little credit was warranted given Ros performances in championship last summer).
Compare with Mayo, everyone has targeted their Mayo game as a real definer for them, a game that would give them a true indication of where they are at and a winnable game.
Compare with Dublin .... most teams were beaten before they togged out at all against them and considered it a test to see how far off the top level they were. Damn it, even we in Mayo had this attitude when we played them.

What does it all mean.... it means that it is hard to judge where teams are really at and that there hasn't been enough evidence to make any rash changes in assessments of where teams are compared to their performances in championship last summer..... with the exception to be fair of Roscommon (notwithstanding that other teams were not always at 100% when playing them as mentioned).

So to Sunday.... despite the statements that the U-21 game is more important to the Rossies (which i agree with) and the result is of a secondary nature as qualification already secured for the semis - well i don't for a minute buy any of it. It will be 100% foot to the floor by players and management to get 1 over Mayo and hopefully relegate us. How could it be any way but that .... .big crowd, live on TV with a national interest secured given Ros form to date, first game in the Hyde in a year, chance to relegate Mayo - they'll be frothing at the mouth in the dressing room before they take to the pitch.

And the result .... i still expect Ros to win a close game as we don't have a reliable free-taker in the absence of Cillian to take advantage of the bucketful of frees the Ros defense will concede. I don't believe that will relegate Mayo though as i don't see Monaghan winning either of their last 2 games (at home to Kerry who will want to win to avoid a winner-qualifies-for-the-semi game v Cork in their last match (Cork will beat Down this weekend) and then at home to Donegal who i would expect to lose to Dublin this weekend and thus need to win their last game v Monaghan to guarantee qualification for semis) meaning Mayo would then just need to beat Down in the last game and would stay up on head to head v Monaghan!!

Farrandeelin

Anybody see/hear or read into Michael Gallagher's tweet last night?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 25, 2016, 10:17:56 AM
Yeah but say nothing, don't want Roscelonia finding out.

larryin89

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

manfromdelmonte

Is Cillian coming back in to fall around the Hyde to win frees?

I think playing in the Hyde won't suit Roscommon. It's a softer pitch, not as even as most pitches for accurate kick passing and Ros haven't played a game there in ages.

larryin89

So we have two fine footballers who have performed magnificently over the last few years who are both still relatively young , add in ypoty awards ,all stars, top scorer in the land gong and all the rossies can say is when describing these two lads as footballers is they dive , barge and cheat .

Do you know it wouldn't be so annoying if the reality wasn't the polar opposite , if AOS got fair play from officials even 50 % of what Donakey gets we would have one by now. No fookinh protection whatsoever , sure you only have to look at out last game v Kerry for evidence , it was a penalty all day long but because it was big Aido it's different rules ,
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 25, 2016, 11:08:00 AM
Is Cillian coming back in to fall around the Hyde to win frees?

I think playing in the Hyde won't suit Roscommon. It's a softer pitch, not as even as most pitches for accurate kick passing and Ros haven't played a game there in ages.

These players have played in the Hyde a lot more often than Mayo.

The Hyde is going to be in way better shape than the mud we played Down on.

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: blast05 on March 25, 2016, 10:03:24 AM
Quote from: theyellowbus on March 24, 2016, 11:36:28 AM
Really do believe we are building ourselves up for a fall this Sunday.
While we have improved in a lot of areas we have to take into context where other teams in the division are at and I firmly believe that some of these teams took the field against us with an intensity and attitude that didn't show us any respect to be honest and thus allowed us sometimes easy rides.For example I could not understand how off the pace in the first half Donegal were and they played that first half with a very lax attitude.Compare that to the second half where they absolutely blitzed us and only for the sending off I believe we would have ended up losing the game.
We have played very well in all the games this year but this false dawn s**t of the new force in Connacht is so annoying when all we done is won a few games in the league.No disrespect to new York,London or Leitrim we haven't won a Connacht championship game of any note since 2010 and that was against a good Sligo team who if had maybe been fully focused on the job in hand might have beaten us.We haven't beaten Mayo in Connacht championship in 15 years lads wake up and smell the coffee.
We seem to hold way too much regard for Connacht Minor and U21 titles now than Senior which in fairness are great to get but Senior is where it is at and until we translate that into results and achievements at that level we have nothing to be getting brave about.
I'm sick going to different grounds over the years getting our asses handed to us come championship time after false dawns in the league.
Ill enjoy the league success as much as the next man but until its translated into championship results and achievements its only like the oul fella cooking sunday roast when the oul wans away edible but soon forgotten.

Regardless of whether you're a troll, i think that post is spot on!!
To my mind at least, it looks fairly apparent that a lot of the teams Roscommon have played have not given them the credit they deserved (albeit one could argue that for the first couple of games at least that little credit was warranted given Ros performances in championship last summer).
Compare with Mayo, everyone has targeted their Mayo game as a real definer for them, a game that would give them a true indication of where they are at and a winnable game.
Compare with Dublin .... most teams were beaten before they togged out at all against them and considered it a test to see how far off the top level they were. Damn it, even we in Mayo had this attitude when we played them.

What does it all mean.... it means that it is hard to judge where teams are really at and that there hasn't been enough evidence to make any rash changes in assessments of where teams are compared to their performances in championship last summer..... with the exception to be fair of Roscommon (notwithstanding that other teams were not always at 100% when playing them as mentioned).

So to Sunday.... despite the statements that the U-21 game is more important to the Rossies (which i agree with) and the result is of a secondary nature as qualification already secured for the semis - well i don't for a minute buy any of it. It will be 100% foot to the floor by players and management to get 1 over Mayo and hopefully relegate us. How could it be any way but that .... .big crowd, live on TV with a national interest secured given Ros form to date, first game in the Hyde in a year, chance to relegate Mayo - they'll be frothing at the mouth in the dressing room before they take to the pitch.

And the result .... i still expect Ros to win a close game as we don't have a reliable free-taker in the absence of Cillian to take advantage of the bucketful of frees the Ros defense will concede. I don't believe that will relegate Mayo though as i don't see Monaghan winning either of their last 2 games (at home to Kerry who will want to win to avoid a winner-qualifies-for-the-semi game v Cork in their last match (Cork will beat Down this weekend) and then at home to Donegal who i would expect to lose to Dublin this weekend and thus need to win their last game v Monaghan to guarantee qualification for semis) meaning Mayo would then just need to beat Down in the last game and would stay up on head to head v Monaghan!!

Two posts I'd agree with on the whole.

Roscommon have stepped up a level regardless of the perceived  performances of the opposition.

Championship football will be the real test. To be considered at the top table we need a good championship until at least then we are pretenders.