[D1] Roscommon v Mayo - 27/03/16 [3:30pm, Dr. Hyde Park]

Started by Syferus, March 13, 2016, 06:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

We're not the ones talking us up.
That's Larryin and some media people. We're enjoying this unexpected good run and better than expected performances in the League.
We hope we can replicate a lot of that in the higher intensity more competitive Championship.
What's embarrassing about that.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: highorlow on March 18, 2016, 09:46:06 PM
Some of the Rossie posts on here are an embarrassment. St.Patrick's day is barely passed and anyone would think they are now the new kings of football.

Go out and have a few beers lads, enjoy these few moments in the sun. Return and gloat all ye want if ye win Connacht.

p.s having many friends and relations Rossies I'll be the 1st to support ye if/when we are out, but try and keep the banter to just banter. We are all Westies after all.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. No problem saying so. I've no problem with any of the Rossie posters here either- a bit of craic and nothing personal.
However, I do meet a few of their fellow-countrymen and you'd swear they have Sam in the bag already. Now, I know they are not a representative cross-section of fans but I do remind them of Sligo and Fermanagh just a few short years ago.
Pride goes before a fall and all that sort of stuff.
If the players buy into this crap, they'll be in for a nasty shock. Ross has the best chance in years to win Connacht lkif hey don't lose the run of themselves..
I'm worried about Mayo. No doubt they are training with August in mind but tactically they are as clueless as they were when Horan was in charge. Still no idea how best to utilise Aiden O'Shea's strengths and that's only for starters. When you think of how easily Donaghy with O'Donoghue feeding off him, wrecked our chances in Limerick, I don't think it takes rocket science to set up a similar plan of action for Mayo. Trouble is that Kerry's midfielders and half forwards could find Donaghy every time with long, precision passes while their Mayo counterparts couldn't hit a barn door with a shovel.
Aiden has been on the team for 7 or 8 years now and nobody, Rochy included, seems to know if he's best placed at midfield, or at 10 or 14.
Wouldn't happen in the Dandy. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 18, 2016, 11:36:29 PM
Quote from: highorlow on March 18, 2016, 09:46:06 PM
Some of the Rossie posts on here are an embarrassment. St.Patrick's day is barely passed and anyone would think they are now the new kings of football.

Go out and have a few beers lads, enjoy these few moments in the sun. Return and gloat all ye want if ye win Connacht.

p.s having many friends and relations Rossies I'll be the 1st to support ye if/when we are out, but try and keep the banter to just banter. We are all Westies after all.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. No problem saying so. I've no problem with any of the Rossie posters here either- a bit of craic and nothing personal.
However, I do meet a few of their fellow-countrymen and you'd swear they have Sam in the bag already. Now, I know they are not a representative cross-section of fans but I do remind them of Sligo and Fermanagh just a few short years ago.
Pride goes before a fall and all that sort of stuff.
If the players buy into this crap, they'll be in for a nasty shock. Ross has the best chance in years to win Connacht lkif hey don't lose the run of themselves..
I'm worried about Mayo. No doubt they are training with August in mind but tactically they are as clueless as they were when Horan was in charge. Still no idea how best to utilise Aiden O'Shea's strengths and that's only for starters. When you think of how easily Donaghy with O'Donoghue feeding off him, wrecked our chances in Limerick, I don't think it takes rocket science to set up a similar plan of action for Mayo. Trouble is that Kerry's midfielders and half forwards could find Donaghy every time with long, precision passes while their Mayo counterparts couldn't hit a barn door with a shovel.
Aiden has been on the team for 7 or 8 years now and nobody, Rochy included, seems to know if he's best placed at midfield, or at 10 or 14.
Wouldn't happen in the Dandy. ;D

Cruel Lar, cruel !!

I've no doubt that Rochford - and every body else - knows that Aiden best position is midfield. That's the easy thing to do with him, but is that the best thing for the team going forward. We ve others - Gibbons, Parsons, Barry and Seamie - that would walk into most teams at midfield.  Aiden can damage further up. Play him in midfield and it means not playing others that may not be able to contribute further up.

Rochford is the coach. He's got these long spring and summer evenings to set things up. The reality is he has more to work with than most going into the championship.

larryin89

Mayo 10/11 , Roscommon 11/10, draw 15/2 .

What's the biggest league crowd outside of croke park in history ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

highorlow

Fair point on the media. The papers have gone mad on ye alright. Full page again in today's times and Tis a hurling weekend. It's ironic that the media focus with Ross has completely distracted from our own internal mutiny. I expected papers to be having a cut off our players every week with every loss, hasn't happened yet anyhow.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

larryin89

Quote from: highorlow on March 19, 2016, 11:16:07 AM
Fair point on the media. The papers have gone mad on ye alright. Full page again in today's times and Tis a hurling weekend. It's ironic that the media focus with Ross has completely distracted from our own internal mutiny. I expected papers to be having a cut off our players every week with every loss, hasn't happened yet anyhow.

I'm not sure how the media can ignore it though , they have been sensational in the league ,they are not just winning games they are blitzing teams and their first year in dv one too . Will the media be hard on them if they crumble in the summer ahead , who knows and more to the point will they crumble at all ?

Kurtz

Iam just enjoying this every game from here is a bonus win lose or draw. It's up to these players now how far they want to we can't do anything but watch and enjoy

From the Bunker

Quote from: Kurtz on March 19, 2016, 12:28:12 PM
Iam just enjoying this every game from here is a bonus win lose or draw. It's up to these players now how far they want to we can't do anything but watch and enjoy

Every game from here in the league is a bonus win lose or draw!  ;)

Cunny Funt

Quote from: larryin89 on March 19, 2016, 11:11:24 AM

Odds about right. Roscommon have secured their division one status and could still reach the semi finals if they lose their remaining games. For Mayo it's a must win game. Lose or draw and you are left looking for favours elsewhere. Whatever some supporters say I don't think this new Mayo management will want to be the ones in charge of the side that has lost their long standing division one status.

Syferus

The last time the Roscommon senior team played at the Hyde was March 29th 2015 when we played Galway in the second last round of the league. Crazy to think an entire year has passed since a county last played at its home ground.

larryin89

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 19, 2016, 01:16:30 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on March 19, 2016, 11:11:24 AM

Odds about right. Roscommon have secured their division one status and could still reach the semi finals if they lose their remaining games. For Mayo it's a must win game. Lose or draw and you are left looking for favours elsewhere. Whatever some supporters say I don't think this new Mayo management will want to be the ones in charge of the side that has lost their long standing division one status.

Going to be relegated anyway imo, I for the life of me don't understand the way most people are saying we can survive if we win our last two games , our scoring diff is -16 , our head to head is only good with Monaghan . We need an awful to go our way to end up head to head with Monaghan plus their two games are at home , cork to beat down and lose to Kerry then it's a three way which we will most likely go down on scoring diff , if it's cork on head to head we go down.

And that's why pp have us at 4/6 favs to join down in div 2 next year and the David Brady's of Twitter land who most likely failed his maths exam are touting us to stay up.

Beffs

Call me crazy, but I don't think that Mayo dropping down to Div 2, will be as big a catastrophe as some people predict. If you are good enough to make it to the AI semi final or final, every year this decade, then you are a bloody good team, regardless of how shitty your Springs are. Kerry usually have to break their boll0x every year to avoid relegation. Doesn't matter a damm come August and September.

A recent stint in Div 2 didn't do Donegal any harm. We'll probably be saying the same thing about Tyrone, in a few months time. A rookie manager, could do without the fallout from being relegated, but in the grand scheme of things, it may not be the total disaster some people predict.

Syferus

Quote from: Beffs on March 19, 2016, 08:18:50 PM
Call me crazy, but I don't think that Mayo dropping down to Div 2, will be as big a catastrophe as some people predict. If you are good enough to make it to the AI semi final or final, every year this decade, then you are a bloody good team, regardless of how shitty your Springs are. Kerry usually have to break their boll0x every year to avoid relegation. Doesn't matter a damm come August and September.

A recent stint in Div 2 didn't do Donegal any harm. We'll probably be saying the same thing about Tyrone, in a few months time. A rookie manager, could do without the fallout from being relegated, but in the grand scheme of things, it may not be the total disaster some people predict.

They switched managers from a team that got them to an AISF replay against the best team in decades. So they set their target at winning the AI this year and nothing has suggested that is even a realistic goal for this management or team. This team gave themselves next to no room for error with their behaviour so of course the alarm bells will be ringing loud if their high-powered management team's first act is crashing into Division 2 for the first time in two decades.

Beffs

That mgt team that got them to an AISF replay against the best team in decades (think Kerry and Tyrone might have an opinion on that btw) in their first year in charge. They did that, even though they were supposed to be useless, if you believe the players and a lot of Mayo people. What is to say that this rookie mgt team, can not do just as good, if not better? That is all that matters. Not what happens from January to April.

Mayo going crashing down into Div for the first time in decades, sounds very dramatic. But look at their actual history during all those years that they were in Division one. When was the last time they won it, or appeared in the final? They seem perfectly content to finish in 5th or 6th place most years. Dropping down to 7th place - and therefore getting relegated - is not as massive a departure for them, as it may appear. It's not like they win the thing every year.

Syferus

Quote from: Beffs on March 19, 2016, 09:05:24 PM
That mgt team that got them to an AISF replay against the best team in decades (think Kerry and Tyrone might have an opinion on that btw) in their first year in charge. They did that, even though they were supposed to be useless, if you believe the players and a lot of Mayo people. What is to say that this rookie mgt team, can not do just as good, if not better? That is all that matters. Not what happens from January to April.

Mayo going crashing down into Div for the first time in decades, sounds very dramatic. But look at their actual history during all those years that they were in Division one. When was the last time they won it, or appeared in the final? They seem perfectly content to finish in 5th or 6th place most years. Dropping down to 7th place - and therefore getting relegated - is not as massive a departure for them, as it may appear. It's not like they win the thing every year.

Kerry or Tyrone can have whatever opinions they want to. That Dublin team simply is the best team to come about since O'Dwyer's Kerry.