1916 Celebrations

Started by Orior, March 04, 2016, 10:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 08, 2016, 02:46:15 PM
Off topic - Have a few friends from overseas visiting Ireland during Easter week. Is there anything going on in Dublin related to the rising? Obviously taking them to Kilmainham jail.

This seems to be the big one.

List of events here

Rossfan

So one eejits writes a letter to a paper and the whole thing has to be cancelled?????
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

Cork man,do you dispute the veracity of what he says?

Saffrongael

Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

deiseach

Is Maurice Fitzgerald of Shanbally the same Maurice Fitzgerald of Shanbally who ran in the 2007 general election in Cork South-Central? The same Maurice Fitzgerald who got 30 votes? Even advocates of rate-payers democracy would struggle to conjure up a mandate from that.

redzone

What can I expect to see on Easter Sunday if I make a family day out of it

T Fearon

Whether he is or isn't the same Maurice,do you dispute what he says in the letter?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: T Fearon on March 08, 2016, 10:33:22 PM
Whether he is or isn't the same Maurice,do you dispute what he says in the letter?

I dispute the Unionists are not dead against a United Ireland bit.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

T Fearon

And do you think the independence of a part of Ireland has been even moderately well managed since 1916?

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on March 08, 2016, 11:01:36 PM
And do you think the independence of a part of Ireland has been even moderately well managed since 1916?

Yes, it has been moderately well managed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Quote from: armaghniac on March 08, 2016, 11:32:47 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on March 08, 2016, 11:01:36 PM

Yes, it has been moderately well managed.
Agreed. No more than that and no worse than France or UK or a string of other Countries.
That floor is always sending letters to the Irish News running down the 26 Cos.
If it's as bad as he says you'd wonder why he still lives in it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

Probably for the same reason that thousands of disgruntled nationalists (many of them on this thread) are content to live in the North.

deiseach

Quote from: T Fearon on March 08, 2016, 10:33:22 PM

Apart from the headline part - I'd agree it is absurd to be asking Arlene Foster to be involved in the celebrations - the letter is a farrago of nonsense.

And yes, I said 'celebrations'. An obituary for RB McDowell noted his belief that "the history of Ireland was the history of the British presence". As far as he and his ilk were concerned, there is no Irish nation separate from the other people in these islands. And before the Easter Rising, this would be a valid opinion. After it, it's claptrap. For standing up to the bully who had always maintained a monopoly on violence to maintain its hegemony, the men and women of 1916 should be celebrated.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Hardy on March 08, 2016, 05:32:26 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 08, 2016, 02:46:15 PM
Off topic - Have a few friends from overseas visiting Ireland during Easter week. Is there anything going on in Dublin related to the rising? Obviously taking them to Kilmainham jail.

This seems to be the big one.

List of events here

Cheers Hardy