Laois Senior Football Championship 2016

Started by Heshs Umpire, March 04, 2016, 10:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merman

Diarmuid Conway from CB. He was on the minor hurling panel this year.

There must be some link with Ballyroan as his father is a selector on the team.

BallyroanAbu

It's 1979 since Ballyroan last won a minor so it's a big deal for Ballyroan.  They have 5 Senior players plus 1 or 2 that are too young for Senior.  Also a lot of Abbeyleix hurlers and Moffitt & Conway so they are pretty decent.  Ballacolla has always had isolated footballers with Ballyroan

Don Draper

Thought Ballacolla players played with The Heath as well? Not to mention an intercounty hurler who played football with Annanough.

OTF

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on August 25, 2016, 02:49:54 PM
It's 1979 since Ballyroan last won a minor so it's a big deal for Ballyroan.  They have 5 Senior players plus 1 or 2 that are too young for Senior.  Also a lot of Abbeyleix hurlers and Moffitt & Conway so they are pretty decent.  Ballacolla has always had isolated footballers with Ballyroan

1971. I'd say ?

BallyroanAbbey

I got in a bit of trouble with some posters on the hurling page for saying that abbeyleix bottled the minor hurling but im afraid that with the same group of players they did not learn their lesson, having a 5 point lead with 15 minutes to go is the same as having a 10 point lead in hurling and the exact same that happened in the hurling happened tonight except this time we were caught. We got in a position where the game should of been closed out and it wasnt, panic set in when they got the goal, albeit they got some cracking points to equalize and go ahead.
The only consolation is that some of those boys are cracking players and that tonight defeat will allow them to learn the lessons they clearly didnt against ballacolla in the hurling

Heshs Umpire

It's 1965 since Emo parish won a minor A so a fair big deal for us tonight! ;)
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Downtheroad

Quote from: Heshs Umpire on August 25, 2016, 09:54:38 PM
In fairness you have a chunk of Mountmellick town playing with you as well which is a bit of a joke. Nevertheless congrats the best team won.

Keyser Söze

Congrats to the winners!

The constitution of many juvenile teams is strange these days. In fact, I think it is worrying! Take the two teams involved tonight.
As previously mentioned the eligibility of some of those Rock players could be questioned- although I'd imagine that once they became Rock players back as 8/10 year olds (or whenever) that's the end of it. The Rock are renowned for having an "eclectic mix"- and drawing players from unusual places.

Ballyroan Abbey Gaels is very interesting! I'm not questioning it's eligibility but as you look down the grades it's very interesting!

Minor Hurling-
Abbeyleix Gaels- Abbeyleix (with Ballyroan players) plus Ballypickas
Clough Ballacolla (on their own!)

Minor Football-
Ballyroan Abbey Gaels- Ballyroan (with Abbeyleix players) plus St Fintan's Raheen, plus an isolated player from Clough Ballacolla.

U16 Hurling-
Abbeyleix Gaels- Abbeyleix (with Ballyroan players) plus Clough Ballacolla
St Fintan's Ballypickas- St Fintan's Raheen plus Ballypickas.

So in the minor hurling final you will potentially have players playing against each other who play together at U16 level (Abbeyleix & Ballacolla) and players playing with each other who play against each other at U16 level (Abbeyleix & Ballypickas!)

This all seems messy to me!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Keyser Söze

And by my calculations, there was the opportunity to have up up to 8 clubs "legally" represented tonight?

1) Ballyroan, Abbeyleix, Colt, Shanahoe, Clough Ballacolla
2) Emo, Courtwood, The Rock.

Is this not taking things a bit far?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 25, 2016, 11:10:40 PM
Congrats to the winners!

The constitution of many juvenile teams is strange these days. In fact, I think it is worrying! Take the two teams involved tonight.
As previously mentioned the eligibility of some of those Rock players could be questioned- although I'd imagine that once they became Rock players back as 8/10 year olds (or whenever) that's the end of it. The Rock are renowned for having an "eclectic mix"- and drawing players from unusual places.

Ballyroan Abbey Gaels is very interesting! I'm not questioning it's eligibility but as you look down the grades it's very interesting!

Minor Hurling-

Minor Football-
Ballyroan Abbey Gaels- Ballyroan (with Abbeyleix players) plus St Fintan's Raheen, plus an isolated player from Clough Ballacolla.

U16 Hurling-

So in the minor hurling final you will potentially have players playing against each other who play together at U16 level (Abbeyleix & Ballacolla) and players playing with each other who play against each other at U16 level (Abbeyleix & Ballypickas!)

Thats f**king hilarious.

Downtheroad

Quote from: Don Draper on August 25, 2016, 11:34:07 PM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 25, 2016, 11:10:40 PM
Congrats to the winners!

Minor Hurling-

Minor Football-

U16 Hurling-

Thats f**king hilarious.
There were some good players on view tonight most notably on the winning side as they had 4 under 16s in the forward line who all look like county players. However, I don't think Ballyroan and Emo, the two senior clubs with players tonight will get many senior standard players out of it in the next year or two. On the Ballyroan side, some lads are going to opt for hurling while Courtwood had some very good players on the winning team. 

The Monument Road

Josephs barrowhouse beat sarsfields in the minor championship this year...sarsfield are mountmellick so how come MM players still won a minor....

Downtheroad

Quote from: The Monument Road on August 26, 2016, 12:10:50 AM
Josephs barrowhouse beat sarsfields in the minor championship this year...sarsfield are mountmellick so how come MM players still won a minor....
This could only happen in Laois. In order for the Courtwood Emo Rock amalgamation to take place, Courtwood and Emo were deemed by the Co board to be isolated players so they could play with The Rock who are based in Mountmellick parish.  You had the ludicrous situation  last night where 25 players were technically isolated  in order to facilitate a handful of players. A strict interpretation of the rules would suggest that each Emo and Courtwood player should have filled a permission form in order to play with the amalgamation. The Rock players are not illegal, it's the other way around. With this application of the rule, EMO/Courtwood can pick up players from Mountmellick parish who are playing with the Rock which isn't far off poaching.

Mau5

Quote from: Downtheroad on August 25, 2016, 11:00:14 PM
In fairness you have a chunk of Mountmellick town playing with you as well which is a bit of a joke. Nevertheless congrats the best team won.

Who do they have from Mountmellick?

Unison

[/quote]

There were some good one on that team, between Lawlors, Dunnes etc.