Longest odds competition winners in GAA?

Started by blanketattack, February 23, 2016, 03:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

With Leicester defying odds of 5000/1 to be leading the Premier League, just wondering if there's been many long odds winners in GAA (>100/1)?
Maybe Laois 1915 or Galway 1923 in the hurling.
Would also include player of the year, top scorer, etc.

illdecide

If i remember one of the years Tyrone won SAM they were beat in their 1st game and their odds went out to 25/1 and some people claim to have gotten 33/1 from bookmakers but nothing along the scales of 1000/1
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

armaghniac

Quote from: illdecide on February 23, 2016, 03:53:40 PM
If i remember one of the years Tyrone won SAM they were beat in their 1st game and their odds went out to 25/1 and some people claim to have gotten 33/1 from bookmakers but nothing along the scales of 1000/1

I claim to have to 33/1 from Boylesports, best bet i ever got.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tippabu

No idea of the odds but id be pretty certain they would have been very very long odds on us the year tipp won the minor. We were 3/1 to win the final alone never mind what we would have been first day out

From the Bunker

The 1985–86 National Football League title won by Laois from division 3. Teams who finished top of the division qualified for the Quarter finals of the competition, back in the day. Don't know the odds, but I'd image they were out a bit at the beginning of the competition.

BennyHarp

I wonder what odds Trillick were to win the Tyrone county Championship last year?
That was never a square ball!!

Captain Obvious

Donegal were 20/1 to win the senior All Ireland in 2012. That's the longest odds I recall on a senior All Ireland winner in the last ten years.

east down gael

T Fearon

20/1 to win All Ireland,a year after they were beaten by a couple of points in the semi final by Dublin? Hard to believe that one

DuffleKing

Captain Obvious

Quote from: T Fearon on February 23, 2016, 09:21:38 PM
20/1 to win All Ireland,a year after they were beaten by a couple of points in the semi final by Dublin? Hard to believe that one
Hard to believe looking back now however I know they were 20/1 as I had money on Donegal at those odds. Tyrone were favorites to win Ulster in 2012 and shorter All Ireland odds than Donegal.

From the Bunker

Quote from: DuffleKing on February 23, 2016, 10:01:34 PM

Leitrim's last senior provincial title?

Fair dues to Leitrim at the time! I think they beat Galway in the semi-final. Mayo had only one score in the first half of the final, a fumbled ball kicked in high by Pat fallon that ended up in the net.

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 23, 2016, 08:35:56 PM
Donegal were 20/1 to win the senior All Ireland in 2012. That's the longest odds I recall on a senior All Ireland winner in the last ten years.
I had tyrone at 28/1 in 2008. I think a few got them at 33/1
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either