Congress 2016

Started by Line Ball, February 23, 2016, 07:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: trileacman on February 28, 2016, 07:43:10 PM
The presence of the mark will drive the game further into a short kick-out strategy, that is guaranteed. Tyrone under Harte have not played with high-fielding midfielders and any incentive for us to kick long is now completely removed as more than likely we'll be facing superior fielders out the pitch.

I'd say you'll see 90% of top level teams see a long kickout strategy as too much of a lottery with the mark and within 10 years the short kickout game of Tyrone, Monaghan and Donegal will be a mainstay of Intercounty and club tactics.

If you wanted fielding all kickouts should have been made to travel 45m. That was the way to promote fielding, the top brass really are f**king idiots.

You have it there! The Mark will slow down the game, Will be used still for short kick outs and give the advantage to the team doing the kick out.

INDIANA

Quote from: screenexile on February 28, 2016, 10:53:22 AM
I would have preferred for it to be compulsory for the ball to travel 45m from a kick out but the mark is a start. As someone who loved playing midfield the joy has gone out of it the last 10 years and this will hopefully restore it!!

waste of time - ball is broken anyway. will lead to short kickouts and more of them.

rules are fine as they are

Watched a minor league game recently trialling these bullshit rules plus kicking the ball after 3 handpasses- led to a lot of 2 yard kick passes.

What a crock of shit

tiempo

From the Bunker

Quote from: tiempo on February 28, 2016, 07:58:37 PM
Mickey Harte's take on it

https://vimeo.com/157031439

3:33 if you want to cut to the chase! Mickey hits the nail on the head!

thewobbler

The presence of the mark will drive the game further into a short kick-out strategy, that is guaranteed. Tyrone under Harte have not played with high-fielding midfielders and any incentive for us to kick long is now completely removed as more than likely we'll be facing superior fielders out the pitch.

I'd say you'll see 90% of top level teams see a long kickout strategy as too much of a lottery with the mark and within 10 years the short kickout game of Tyrone, Monaghan and Donegal will be a mainstay of Intercounty and club tactics.

If you wanted fielding all kickouts should have been made to travel 45m. That was the way to promote fielding, the top brass really are f**king idiots.

Well if they're idiots, so are you. And for that matter, so is anyone who has identified the mark as a solution, as in doing so it requires a complete absence of thought about what the problem is.

I'll keep it short here, but the reason why the mark works in Aussie Rules is because the alternative to not winning a mark is dismal; if you drop the ball or allow it to bounce, you will get unmercifully emptied. The free kick earned is only a secondary benefit, and a distant second at that.

In Gaelic Games the true advantage will always be in winning possession in such a way that it takes your direct opponent out of this phase of play, thereby creating a numeric advantage. The mark is the antithesis of this concept and will not work.

Unfortunately the GAA is full of prize clampets - and I'm including you here - who just can't work this out.

Main Street

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 28, 2016, 07:54:48 PM

You have it there! The Mark will slow down the game, Will be used still for short kick outs and give the advantage to the team doing the kick out.
How can the mark be used for short kick outs?

trileacman

Quote from: thewobbler on February 28, 2016, 08:10:31 PM

Well if they're idiots, so are you. And for that matter, so is anyone who has identified the mark as a solution, as in doing so it requires a complete absence of thought about what the problem is.

I'll keep it short here, but the reason why the mark works in Aussie Rules is because the alternative to not winning a mark is dismal; if you drop the ball or allow it to bounce, you will get unmercifully emptied. The free kick earned is only a secondary benefit, and a distant second at that.

In Gaelic Games the true advantage will always be in winning possession in such a way that it takes your direct opponent out of this phase of play, thereby creating a numeric advantage. The mark is the antithesis of this concept and will not work.

Unfortunately the GAA is full of prize clampets - and I'm including you here - who just can't work this out.

Your talking through your f**king ass. A free shot at goal under no pressure is a distant benefit in Aussie Rules?

"winning possession in such a way/ numeric advantage/ direct opponent" you've been listening to way too much Off the ball. I'd say you thought you were a really clever fcuker writing that.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

thewobbler

Quote from: trileacman on February 28, 2016, 08:34:25 PM

Your talking through your f**king ass. A free shot at goal under no pressure is a distant benefit in Aussie Rules?

"winning possession in such a way/ numeric advantage/ direct opponent" you've been listening to way too much Off the ball. I'd say you thought you were a really clever fcuker writing that.

just keep burying your head in the sand you twit. Maybe you'll burrow your way back to the 1970s and revel in the bliss of watching turgid football sprinkled with uncontested high catches.

Given the choice between Eoghan O'Gara taking a free shot from 30m, and Eoghan O'Gara slipping the ball off to Diarmaid Connolly who is motoring off his shoulder, which one is any sane man going to take?

In the same play in Oz,  O'Gara's face is on the ground before he can move the ball into a hand passing position. That's why it's of fundamental to their game, even though not one teammate of O Gara ever wants to see him kicking a free.

westbound

Quote from: thewobbler on February 28, 2016, 09:03:47 PM
Quote from: trileacman on February 28, 2016, 08:34:25 PM

just keep burying your head in the sand you twit. Maybe you'll burrow your way back to the 1970s and revel in the bliss of watching turgid football sprinkled with uncontested high catches.

Given the choice between Eoghan O'Gara taking a free shot from 30m, and Eoghan O'Gara slipping the ball off to Diarmaid Connolly who is motoring off his shoulder, which one is any sane man going to take?

In the same play in Oz,  O'Gara's face is on the ground before he can move the ball into a hand passing position. That's why it's of fundamental to their game, even though not one teammate of O Gara ever wants to see him kicking a free.

It'll take one hell of a kick out from cluxton to give O'Gara a mark 30m from goal!!!

johnneycool

Re the Mark.

What happens if an opponent catches the ball, do they get a mark, which in all intense purposes is a free kick 45M from goal?

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnneycool on February 29, 2016, 09:31:04 AM
Re the Mark.

What happens if an opponent catches the ball, do they get a mark, which in all intense purposes is a free kick 45M from goal?

Was just about to ask that :) I presume it's worded such that the mark is only awarded to a player on the team taking the kickout.

DuffleKing

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 29, 2016, 09:32:29 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 29, 2016, 09:31:04 AM
Re the Mark.

Was just about to ask that :) I presume it's worded such that the mark is only awarded to a player on the team taking the kickout.

Surely not?

I assumed it was open season. If not then that minimises further the chance of a catch as the opposition will be uber breaking everything

Rossfan

"A player" is the wording isn't it.
If you catch the opposition kick out wouldn't you be even more entitled to a mark
IF YOU CHOOSE TO CLAIM IT.
You can choose to play on too - which seems to be lost on the angry brigade here who obviously never even read the feckin motion.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

DuffleKing

But you can't be tackled in your first four steps?

It'll take a black card rewrite to include the obvious cynicism of tackling to not allow the catcher to drive down the centre at you.

AZOffaly

It strikes me that the risk/reward ratio is too weighted on the risk if that's the case. Giving someone like David Moran a 50 metre free kick at your goals if he wins the kickout, or even a chance to take a quick free, would not be a sustainable approach. If that is the rule, and the wording seems that it certainly can be interpreted that way, then I can't see many people taking the risk of the long kickout.