Congress 2016

Started by Line Ball, February 23, 2016, 07:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

Quote from: general_lee on February 28, 2016, 10:30:48 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 28, 2016, 03:53:35 AM
Quote from: general_lee on February 28, 2016, 12:20:15 AM
The mark is f**king stupid. What a shower of f**king plonkers. I guarantee you will see no more or less high fielding. And on the odd occasion you do, it will be because some f**king overgrown 7ft f**king ogre has been recruited for the sole purpose of catching a ball and winning a free/possession. No doubt with about as much footballing ability as a f**king cow.

The real beauty of fielding a ball wasn't just the high catching, it was what the fielder did next, be that set up a team mate off the shoulder, turn and set up a quick attack with a quick ball, go on an attacking solo run etc.

Jarlath Burns I hope you're happy. You've helped pave the way for stop start football. I f**king really resent this utterly stupid f**king decision. f**king morons.

What he usually did next was absolutely nothing because he was bottled up by a blanket defence.
Wait til you see what this joke of a rule brings in. I can see in the dying minutes of games a team winning a kick out, calling the mark, stopping, turning around and passing it backwards. Lovely football!   ::)
If you win a kick-out getting the ball from the goal past the 45 to your team-mates hands is hardly without skill.

I don't think it'll make much difference. I was all for it ten years ago when Tyrone (for example) had five men waiting to tackle a high-fielder. This happens less often and I think it's fine to reward a well place kick and a well timed run, together with catching ability.

Once it's not a lead in to it being used elsewhere I don't mind it at all..............in theory.

screenexile

I would have preferred for it to be compulsory for the ball to travel 45m from a kick out but the mark is a start. As someone who loved playing midfield the joy has gone out of it the last 10 years and this will hopefully restore it!!

rrhf

What a bundle of eejits

manfromdelmonte

The mark is f**king stupid. What a shower of f**king plonkers. I guarantee you will see no more or less high fielding. And on the odd occasion you do, it will be because some f**king overgrown 7ft f**king ogre has been recruited for the sole purpose of catching a ball and winning a free/possession. No doubt with about as much footballing ability as a f**king cow.

The real beauty of fielding a ball wasn't just the high catching, it was what the fielder did next, be that set up a team mate off the shoulder, turn and set up a quick attack with a quick ball, go on an attacking solo run etc.

Jarlath Burns I hope you're happy. You've helped pave the way for stop start football. I f**king really resent this utterly stupid f**king decision. f**king morons.

What he usually did next was absolutely nothing because he was bottled up by a blanket defence.
Wait til you see what this joke of a rule brings in. I can see in the dying minutes of games a team winning a kick out, calling the mark, stopping, turning around and passing it backwards. Lovely football!   ::)
the other team will have an extra outfield player to try and stop that.

come back and let us know the first time that trick works

general_lee

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 28, 2016, 11:12:34 AM

You obviously haven't watched a game of football in the last 15 years

Main Street

Quote from: general_lee on February 28, 2016, 11:22:02 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 28, 2016, 11:12:34 AM

You obviously haven't watched a game of football in the last 15 years
If a team is hanging onto the lead in the dying minutes, the goalie has the cojones to take the risk to kick it out long and the midfielder fields the ball for a mark? that's what it's all about.
It would be nice if this mark rule works and effects a change. At least it rewards the midfielder who does manage to make the mark despite a windmill of hands trying to to slap the ball away from his outstretched hands. For it to effect a change, then ban the slap and just have players competing to field the ball from the kick out.

redzone

Quote from: rrhf on February 28, 2016, 10:55:43 AM
What a bundle of eejits

Exactly, why can't they wait and see how it pans out first before coming on here and slamming it before it has even begun. Clowns

general_lee

Quote from: redzone on February 28, 2016, 12:09:54 PM
What a bundle of eejits

Exactly, why can't they wait and see how it pans out first before coming on here and slamming it before it has even begun. Clowns
Slamming it because it's f**king stupid

Conallach

Congress coming up with new rules to highlight my inability to kick the ball out accurately to the left. Thanks lads!

redzone

Quote from: general_lee on February 28, 2016, 12:18:02 PM
Quote from: redzone on February 28, 2016, 12:09:54 PM
What a bundle of eejits

Slamming it because it's f**king stupid

Lets give it a go and if it's shite we will get rid of it. Quit being judgemental

BennyHarp

Given that this fairly fundamental change, are they not going to trial the mark first? I don't like the idea of essentially getting a free kick for performing a skill of the game. Also, maybe I missed it but id like to think that I keep fairly up to date with GAA matters and I didn't know this rule was even up for debate.
That was never a square ball!!

general_lee

Yeah I look forward to future rule changes rewarding a 20 yard punt pass and sure maybe we could introduce some thing for a block tackle and fancy flicks etc  ::) cos doing so will encourage those things to happen more

The Trap

Jarlath burns said we were sleepwalking in to losing an important skill of the game.........there is a lot more important sleepwalking going on......not sleeping at the till however!!!

trileacman

The presence of the mark will drive the game further into a short kick-out strategy, that is guaranteed. Tyrone under Harte have not played with high-fielding midfielders and any incentive for us to kick long is now completely removed as more than likely we'll be facing superior fielders out the pitch.

I'd say you'll see 90% of top level teams see a long kickout strategy as too much of a lottery with the mark and within 10 years the short kickout game of Tyrone, Monaghan and Donegal will be a mainstay of Intercounty and club tactics.

If you wanted fielding all kickouts should have been made to travel 45m. That was the way to promote fielding, the top brass really are f**king idiots.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

It also introduces yet another break in play, Joe McQuillan will be choking on his whistle if this gets any worse.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014