2016 All Ireland U-21 football championship

Started by Captain Obvious, February 22, 2016, 01:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballaghman

Still basking in the joy after Saturday. A bit surreal to have so many lads in the county with not one but two All-Ireland medals. Hopefully some of these boys will complete the set in the next year or two.
I've been enjoying the win too much to get too caught up in the 'who will play senior' debate but I suppose it's inevitable our minds have to turn to that eventually. That's what underage teams are all about at the end of the day, feeders for the senior team chasing the holy grail.
I'd agree with most of the lads on here and think that Ruane, Coen, Loftus and Hall will offer something at senior level (I think we all agree DOC will make it!). O'Donoghue looks like a tasty corner back, one of the kind we need badly, tough, dogged and in your face. Plunkett looks clever and I'd also give Irwin a chance. He needs to get a bit fitter and really put his injury problems behind him, but when he does I think he has the guile and placed ball skills to offer something major in the future.
Cunniffe is a very good player but because he was marking two exceptional players in the semi and the final he maybe didn't look like a future senior. He's better than he looked on Saturday though and has a lot to offer too IMO.
Even if only 4 or 5 of them make it they're coming into an already strong group and will make us stronger regardless. Tis a good place to be!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: muppet on May 01, 2016, 10:48:24 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 01, 2016, 09:25:29 PM
Right now, I'm not too worried about the names or numbers that make it on to the senior panel. Time enough for that when the celebrations die down.Mayo won this the hard way, following on from two hard matches against Roscommon and then the Dubs. Success didn't come easy and it was all the more satisfying for that.
This bunch has shown incredible determination all along the way and that's why I wouldn't be too critical about the number of wides in the opening period. Nerves and a tricky wind played a part here. Playing against the wind, the nerves had settled and the wides to scores ratio improved dramatically.
It hard to know how many will make the step up; there are now hard and fast rules to determine this.
But for what it's worth, I think we'll get a good input.
Mattie Flanagan wasn't too hot on his kick outs but that can be corrected and he did everything else well. Sheroize Akram is a very exciting prospect- sure his ball skills needs to be worked on but the same could be said about Lam McHale when Liam was about six years older and playing against Dublin in 1985.
Hall and Ruane impressed me and the same can be said for Irwin and Plunkett. All are senior material without a doubt. That's without the quartet who have senior experience already.
I think Irwin may be lacking in pace but his ball handling, positional sense and coolness under pressure are of the highest order. After all, Cillian O'Connor is no Usain Bolt either.
Throw in that Diarmuid seems to have all the skills of his brother and is much more mobile and this year's crop should at least equal  the input we got from the 2006 side.

McHale was 1 year older in 1985 and I am pretty sure he didn't play against the Dubs. He definitely played in the following League campaign though.

You are correct mup, I got the wrong game in mind. That was the semi against Meath in '88 and I was sitting in the midst of a gang of Dubs who kept razzing McHale every time he tried to solo, which he did at almost every chance he got. They weren't the only ones either. However, as the game progressed the slagging died down as people realised that McHale was outfielding everyone that tried to curb him and his hand passing was superb but  he did look awkward every time he insisting on soloing. By the end of the game the jeers had turned to cheers as he had a super game in every other aspect of play.  I think he took the slagging that day to heart because he must have worked very hard at improving his footwork and I don't recall anyone ever mocking his play again.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

INDIANA

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 02, 2016, 06:24:34 PM
Right now, I'm not too worried about the names or numbers that make it on to the senior panel. Time enough for that when the celebrations die down.Mayo won this the hard way, following on from two hard matches against Roscommon and then the Dubs. Success didn't come easy and it was all the more satisfying for that.
This bunch has shown incredible determination all along the way and that's why I wouldn't be too critical about the number of wides in the opening period. Nerves and a tricky wind played a part here. Playing against the wind, the nerves had settled and the wides to scores ratio improved dramatically.
It hard to know how many will make the step up; there are now hard and fast rules to determine this.
Mattie Flanagan wasn't too hot on his kick outs but that can be corrected and he did everything else well. Sheroize Akram is a very exciting prospect- sure his ball skills needs to be worked on but the same could be said about Lam McHale when Liam was about six years older and playing against Dublin in 1985.
Hall and Ruane impressed me and the same can be said for Irwin and Plunkett. All are senior material without a doubt. That's without the quartet who have senior experience already.
I think Irwin may be lacking in pace but his ball handling, positional sense and coolness under pressure are of the highest order. After all, Cillian O'Connor is no Usain Bolt either.
Throw in that Diarmuid seems to have all the skills of his brother and is much more mobile and this year's crop should at least equal  the input we got from the 2006 side.

McHale was 1 year older in 1985 and I am pretty sure he didn't play against the Dubs. He definitely played in the following League campaign though.

You are correct mup, I got the wrong game in mind. That was the semi against Meath in '88 and I was sitting in the midst of a gang of Dubs who kept razzing McHale every time he tried to solo, which he did at almost every chance he got. They weren't the only ones either. However, as the game progressed the slagging died down as people realised that McHale was outfielding everyone that tried to curb him and his hand passing was superb but  he did look awkward every time he insisting on soloing. By the end of the game the jeers had turned to cheers as he had a super game in every other aspect of play.  I think he took the slagging that day to heart because he must have worked very hard at improving his footwork and I don't recall anyone ever mocking his play again.

I only met Mc Hale once and found him very articulate and had some really good theories on the game. Could never understand why some ofhis own fans at times hated him so much. Remember been at a league game in the mid 90's ish and some of the abuse he got from Mayo fans was unreal. Most of it nothing to do with football either!

If Dublin fans were taking the piss out of him - that's testament to his ability. Because they never bother with anyone who's average!

From the Bunker

Quote from: INDIANA on May 02, 2016, 10:39:57 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 02, 2016, 06:24:34 PM

I only met Mc Hale once and found him very articulate and had some really good theories on the game. Could never understand why some ofhis own fans at times hated him so much. Remember been at a league game in the mid 90's ish and some of the abuse he got from Mayo fans was unreal. Most of it nothing to do with football either!

If Dublin fans were taking the piss out of him - that's testament to his ability. Because they never bother with anyone who's average!

When Mayo lost (got badly Humiliated) in the 2004 AI final. Liam wrote a article in the Sunday Independent the following weekend detailing how the players felt, emotions, what they said. You see under the Horan regime things like that would never happen. It's a bit like the things that happened under Pillar, these things would never happen under Gilroy or Gavin. Galvin can give 3 minute interviews before and after matches and say literally nothing.

McHale the footballer is a legend. But there are times when he says just a little to much!

whitey

Like the time he said that Mayo were hoping Ger Brennan would start for Dublin in the AIF because Mayo had his nmber (I'm paraphrasing). Alan Dillon went on to do fvck all and Brennan kicked the winning point off his left peg

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/liam-mchale-thinks-ger-brennan-starting-can-help-mayo-1.1532391

INDIANA

Quote from: whitey on May 02, 2016, 11:38:24 PM
Like the time he said that Mayo were hoping Ger Brennan would start for Dublin in the AIF because Mayo had his nmber (I'm paraphrasing). Alan Dillon went on to do fvck all and Brennan kicked the winning point off his left peg

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/liam-mchale-thinks-ger-brennan-starting-can-help-mayo-1.1532391

Right peg. Ger is a natural left footer. I should know I coached him for long enough.

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on May 02, 2016, 11:56:11 PM

Right peg. Ger is a natural left footer. I should know I coached him for long enough.

Did you teach him how to box too?

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on May 03, 2016, 12:00:21 AM

Vincents players could always take care of themselves Syferus. Its why our trophy cabinets are full

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on May 03, 2016, 12:02:04 AM
Quote from: Syferus on May 03, 2016, 12:00:21 AM

Vincents players could always take care of themselves Syferus. Its why our trophy cabinets are full

Pretty sure it's just the hot air that's filling them Indy.

Rossfan

Strike or attempt to strike = red card.
Refs obviously don't implement the T O in Dublin ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

whitey

Maybe he hit it of his right foot then...either way I remember that he hit it off his weaker foot

Maroon Manc

Congrats to Mayo, better team on the day won although there wasn't much between them apart from a poor goalkeeping performance. Mayo could easily have been beaten by Roscommon, Dublin and Cork but showed great character to win all 3 games.

Bhppy

Quote from: Jinxy on May 01, 2016, 04:44:12 PM
Don't mean to rain on the parade but most of the goals were comical and resulted more from really bad defending/goalkeeping rather than any Mayo ingenuity.
When I see a scoreline where one of the teams has scored almost as many as goals as points, I don't think 'free-scoring forwards', I think 'circus clown defenders'.

I would agree with you on that. I have to admit Loftus' goal was a superb finish but definitely four of those goals were gifts from Cork. Cork lost this one rather than Mayo winning it. I would be more worried about the poor wides, they were just bad misses, they also looked very uncomfortable shooting. While Mayo dominated for long periods, Cork were much more economical. On another day. Mayo wouldn't have had the luck they got on Saturday and you will never get presented with goal chances like that again in a high quality game.

macdanger2

Quote from: Bhppy on May 03, 2016, 10:15:07 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 01, 2016, 04:44:12 PM
Don't mean to rain on the parade but most of the goals were comical and resulted more from really bad defending/goalkeeping rather than any Mayo ingenuity.
When I see a scoreline where one of the teams has scored almost as many as goals as points, I don't think 'free-scoring forwards', I think 'circus clown defenders'.

I would agree with you on that. I have to admit Loftus' goal was a superb finish but definitely four of those goals were gifts from Cork. Cork lost this one rather than Mayo winning it. I would be more worried about the poor wides, they were just bad misses, they also looked very uncomfortable shooting. While Mayo dominated for long periods, Cork were much more economical. On another day. Mayo wouldn't have had the luck they got on Saturday and you will never get presented with goal chances like that again in a high quality game.

You have to have the composure and quality to take advantage of any slices of luck that come your way, Mayo had that