2016 All Ireland U-21 football championship

Started by Captain Obvious, February 22, 2016, 01:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

QuoteGame on Sunday for Laois' benefit and player welfare after their game last night. Not seen as fair they play 2 games in a week.

It's a week later so not 2 games in a week. Is it not a Wednesday night competition? Why couldn't the Meath game be played on a Saturday so?

Usually, LC give counties an option of a toss of a coin or honour previous home and away arrangements.

That would make sense to a point, H&A arrangements are bollix for semi-finals/finals imho. Should always be neutral.
#newbridgeornowhere

elk

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 10, 2016, 09:05:51 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on March 10, 2016, 08:47:57 AM

Derry wouldn't be fancied for anything - wouldn't be in the top 5 u21 teams in Ulster

Tyrone, Donegal, Monaghan, Cavan?? and?????
PP has Armagh ahead of Cavan and Derry in the betting for Ulster, so maybe it's them

Throw ball

Quote from: elk on March 10, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 10, 2016, 09:05:51 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on March 10, 2016, 08:47:57 AM

Derry wouldn't be fancied for anything - wouldn't be in the top 5 u21 teams in Ulster

Tyrone, Donegal, Monaghan, Cavan?? and?????
PP has Armagh ahead of Cavan and Derry in the betting for Ulster, so maybe it's them

I assume that is because the side of the draw they are on. For my money Tyrone, Donegal and Monaghan would be just ahead of Derry and Cavan with Down, Armagh and then Fermanagh next. Antrim are out. Down I would expect to be favourites against Armagh as they are at home, Armagh have a few injuries and the squad has only been finalised very recently.

blanketattack

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on March 10, 2016, 12:33:54 AM
Kerry very lucky to come away with a win in Tralee tonight against Tipp. 1st win in 4 years in this competition.  ::)
Tipp will have regrets and maybe should have come out of their defensive system more in the second half against 14 men, but Kerry just about did enough.

Cork hammered Clare, so it looks like a Kerry v Cork Munster final again.

If Donegal or Tyrone had tactics like Tipperary there'd be lynch mobs formed! Playing with an extra man, a strong wind and down 2 points they never relented from the double blanket, with 13 or 14 players regularly in their own 45. How can teams that are losing be happy for the opposition to keep possession? Donegal were the same in the 2014 AI final.

Syferus

Ros 1-07 Galway 0-05 HT.

Val Daly's son got the line for two yellow, rightly. Happy enough so far considering the injuries.

galwayman

Michael Daly sent off AGAIN for Galway u21s tonight.
I know he's a young lad but Jesus you'd think he'd have learned his lesson by now.
He is going to be targeted and needs to find a way to stop reacting and getting himself sent off if he wants to have any kind of county career.

Looking like Ros will walk away with this.
Please NEVER let Gerry Fahy near a Galway team ever again.
Serial failure

Kurtz

Aaron Boone

You can't underestimate Roscommon in this grade. Fantastic win.

Syferus

Don't know if Mannion lost the ball in the bodies or thought it was going wide for the late Galway goal but before that he had a really good game. Little nervy at the end letting Galway into it after they were all but a beaten docket.

But saying that, we had some really good passing and interplay cut Galway open and we always looked likely to win it. With the injuries we had and having such a poor record v Galway at this grade it's hard not to be happy with the end result.

As comfortable a two point win as you'll find I'm afraid - did Galway run out of subs with 15 minutes left and had to end the game with 13 men when their sub FF got a black card?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: galwayman on March 11, 2016, 08:13:33 PM
I know he's a young lad but Jesus you'd think he'd have learned his lesson by now.
He is going to be targeted and needs to find a way to stop reacting and getting himself sent off if he wants to have any kind of county career.

Am I right in thinking that he got sent off against Mayo at minor in Tuam a couple of years ago and it more or less cost Galway that match as they were well on top until he got the line?

That's a bad habit to be getting and it's costing his side matches. Won't win many games playing with 14 men for most of it. Pity as he's a very good player.

larryin89

Quote from: Aaron Boone on March 11, 2016, 08:57:34 PM

And they're at it with the minors too now , beat Mayo tonight in minor league , 2-20 to 1-02 .

Roscommon will Win the three football provincial titles this year .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

fearsiuil

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 11, 2016, 09:13:04 PM

Am I right in thinking that he got sent off against Mayo at minor in Tuam a couple of years ago and it more or less cost Galway that match as they were well on top until he got the line?

That's a bad habit to be getting and it's costing his side matches. Won't win many games playing with 14 men for most of it. Pity as he's a very good player.
Got sent off that day in Tuam when threatening to beat Mayo with his goal chances.

Shrewdness

larryin89, you'll be tossing in your sleep tonight!!

seafoid

Quote from: Aaron Boone on March 11, 2016, 08:57:34 PM
You can. They never win the all Ireland
Mayo are not much better

mouview

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 11, 2016, 09:13:04 PM

Sending off that evening in Tuam was very harsh by all accounts. First yellow this evening was too, very innocuous and undangerous challenge; second yellow probably for the melee. (Val wouldn't always be the most moderate in his encouragement in any event.) Meanwhile a number of Roscommon players avoided black cards early in the match for dragging down Galway players when they were breaking through on goal; Galway fans rightfully a little disgruntled at Mayo ref.

Ros' better side though and will improve. Very poor Galway team, especially in defence, mgmt not hectic either, though they've had a difficult and disrupted week.