2016 All Ireland U-21 football championship

Started by Captain Obvious, February 22, 2016, 01:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Interview coming up on Newstalk with the Cork goalie, who predictably has been abused on social media following the game.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Syferus

Quote from: armaghniac on May 05, 2016, 11:06:18 AM
Interview coming up on Newstalk with the Cork goalie, who predictably has been abused on social media following the game.

By who? The two lads in Cork who even knew they were in an U21 football final?

armaghniac

Quote from: Syferus on May 05, 2016, 11:53:00 AM

By who? The two lads in Cork who even knew they were in an U21 football final?

By people who know little in any case.
also here http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/it-was-something-that-had-to-be-said-cork-u21-goalie-on-standing-up-to-online-trolls-34685618.html
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jinxy

When are people going to accept that you participate in this social media nonsense at your own risk?
In the old days, you gave out to your mates about a fella having a bad game in the car on the way home.
Now people give out on social media.
It's essentially the same principle, only the latter is broadcast to millions of people.
If you don't want to be subjected to 'abuse' on social media, there is a very simple solution.
Stay away from it altogether.
I'm getting real tired of hearing otherwise sensible adults crying about all the mean people on Twitter/Facebook.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

joemamas

Quote from: Jinxy on May 05, 2016, 12:32:21 PM

When are people going to accept that you participate in this social media nonsense at your own risk?
In the old days, you gave out to your mates about a fella having a bad game in the car on the way home.
It's essentially the same principle, only the latter is broadcast to millions of people.
If you don't want to be subjected to 'abuse' on social media, there is a very simple solution.
I'm getting real tired of hearing otherwise sensible adults crying about all the mean people on Twitter/Facebook.

+1,

You know there was always going to be a high probability that some toolbag, was counting the minutes since the end of the game last Saturday to do a sensational piece on this.

PW Nally

Do not engage in social media if you play sport?

Syferus

Quote from: joemamas on May 05, 2016, 01:44:42 PM

+1,

You know there was always going to be a high probability that some toolbag, was counting the minutes since the end of the game last Saturday to do a sensational piece on this.

Yes, the journo is the toolbag in this equation.

Beffs

There are some  people who think that engaging in social media should be like walking down the street, in that it's not ok to roar abuse at people. Call them idealistic eegits if you want, but I don't see any harm in banging the drum about it.

rosnarun

Quote from: Beffs on May 05, 2016, 02:49:27 PM
There are some  people who think that engaging in social media should be like walking down the street, in that it's not ok to roar abuse at people. Call them idealistic eegits if you want, but I don't see any harm in banging the drum about it.
young lads are also going to have to realize if they are going to put on the county Jersey and have a bad day they are going to be Criticized. I accept there is a line where Criticism becomes down right foul abuse  but for every pat on the back on a good day there will be a kick in the hole on a bad day
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Zulu

Why do they have to accept criticism as part of being an underage (or senior for that matter) IC player? I fail to see why it's anyway acceptable for players to be abused on twitter. There is a big difference between someone coming on here saying so and so had a bad game or they are not up to it but to directly say it to them, or worse, abuse them on twitter is not on at all. You can avoid discussion boards if you want but I don't see why a young amateur footballer has to avoid having a twitter account because ignoramuses will abuse them if they have a howler. A lot of lads don't have the balls to put themselves up there so to knock them when it goes wrong is not on.

Mayo4Sam

So Jinxy anyone who plays sport shouldn't be on social media?
Its their fault because they are putting themselves in the firing line.

Or maybe its the fault of the low lifes who have never done anything in their lives but think its ok to go to town on lads that have at least tried

http://www.balls.ie/gaa/cork-u21-goalkeeper-reveals-reveals-the-shocking-extent-of-the-online-abuse-after-final-loss/332527
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Jinxy

Completely missing the point.
It's not acceptable.
I'm not on Twitter but I use it to follow sporting events in particular.
In a GAA context, I would estimate that 90-95% of the contributions are perfectly reasonable comments made by ordinary, decent people.
However, the remaining 5-10% of the contributions can range from the mean-spirited to the downright nasty.
Usually the worst comments are made by people who probably aren't in a great place in their own lives.
Often, they are said merely to provoke a response.
Twitter, as a platform, favours polarised viewpoints.
Everything is either brilliant or terrible.
One lad in particular was name-checked in Kieran Shannon's article as a 'troll'.
I had a look at his Twitter profile and it made for grim reading.
I came away feeling sorry for HIM.
Full of anger and venom about so many different things.
Can you tell me, how you would deal with this chap?
Appeal to his better nature, "Stop being mean to people online!" etc.
Either you develop a healthy sense of perspective, and recognise that a small minority of your fellow users are pathetic creatures craving attention, or you walk away from it altogether.
Nobody needs to be on social media.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jinxy on May 05, 2016, 10:03:04 PM
It's not acceptable.
In a GAA context, I would estimate that 90-95% of the contributions are perfectly reasonable comments made by ordinary, decent people.
However, the remaining 5-10% of the contributions can range from the mean-spirited to the downright nasty.
Usually the worst comments are made by people who probably aren't in a great place in their own lives.
One lad in particular was name-checked in Kieran Shannon's article as a 'troll'.
Either you develop a healthy sense of perspective, and recognise that a small minority of your fellow users are pathetic creatures craving attention, or you walk away from it altogether.

I think the problem is a bit more complicated than that. The players in question tend to be in the late teens or early twenties and at this age, social networking is an essential part of their daily activities.They are still susceptible to peer pressure and being without the iPad the Android would feel only half dressed.
Asking someone to stay away from Facebook or Twitter because strangers are going to post hurtful, unwarranted comments about him is never going to work.
Mates being what they are will certainly mention any reference to him, especially critical ones. You can hardly expect any young fella to stay away from his Twitter account when people all around him are discussing him in his presence.
Apart from all of that, people in this age group would suffer withdrawal symptoms if their were without their tablet or smartphone for a single day as they network about lots of other things than football.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Jinxy

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 06, 2016, 03:35:58 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 05, 2016, 10:03:04 PM
It's not acceptable.

I think the problem is a bit more complicated than that. The players in question tend to be in the late teens or early twenties and at this age, social networking is an essential part of their daily activities.They are still susceptible to peer pressure and being without the iPad the Android would feel only half dressed.
Asking someone to stay away from Facebook or Twitter because strangers are going to post hurtful, unwarranted comments about him is never going to work.
Mates being what they are will certainly mention any reference to him, especially critical ones. You can hardly expect any young fella to stay away from his Twitter account when people all around him are discussing him in his presence.
Apart from all of that, people in this age group would suffer withdrawal symptoms if their were without their tablet or smartphone for a single day as they network about lots of other things than football.

It's not though.
Anyway, if they want to immerse themselves in that world, best of luck to them.
The rest of us don't need to hear about every gobdaw who says something mean to them.
Pretty sure I said the same thing in the aftermath of the Paddy O'Rourke sending-off against Westmeath last year when he was getting dog's abuse on Twitter.
We're talking about men here, not boys.
Corinthians 11: 'When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.'