EU referendum on Thursday 23 June

Started by No wides, February 20, 2016, 02:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

For those who have a vote, I believe the question will be Leave or Stay?

Leave?
6 (13.6%)
Stay?
38 (86.4%)

Total Members Voted: 44

armaghniac

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 22, 2016, 11:56:21 AM
Quote from: Hereiam on February 22, 2016, 11:51:32 AM
I would assume so GJL. Why else would the DUP be supporting an exit.
What exactly I the DUP rationale for supporting a Brexit?

They hope they British will erect a giant fence on the border and that all those nasty Catholic Irish, Poles and Portuguese stop flooding into Ulster.

Of course they don't say that, but what they say is bollix. They say that the UK will save money from paying the EU, but one thing is sure the Chancellor won't regard sending more money to NI as a priority for any extra funds. NI is even worse value than the EU and Cameron wouldn't dare risk holding a referendum on getting rid of NI.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hound

Quote from: GJL on February 22, 2016, 11:15:05 AM
If there is  Brexit (I don't think it will happen) what will happen at the border here? Full passport job?
No.
No passport between Ireland and UK has nothing to do with both of us being in the EU.

As Cameron said at the weekend, Brexit won't make it any harder for foreigners to enter the UK, what it will do is make it harder for them to stay.

deiseach

Quote from: Hound on February 22, 2016, 12:55:52 PM
As Cameron said at the weekend, Brexit won't make it any harder for foreigners to enter the UK, what it will do is make it harder for them to stay.

That's not going to cut any ice with the Brexiters. If you don't want people to stay, it's much easier not to let them in in the first place.

Hound

Quote from: deiseach on February 22, 2016, 01:00:54 PM
Quote from: Hound on February 22, 2016, 12:55:52 PM

That's not going to cut any ice with the Brexiters. If you don't want people to stay, it's much easier not to let them in in the first place.
Not sure that's true. It would be difficult and expensive to keep them out.
Not allowing them to work or to claim any benefits will be the deterrant.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: deiseach on February 22, 2016, 11:09:57 AM
Good ol' BoJo, he declares for Brexit and sterling takes a hammering. Might book my summer holidays now!

Its amusing how all of a sudden people have taken Boris seriously!?

muppet

If there is a Brexit and somehow the EU insists that Ireland, an island, can't have a bilateral border agreement with Britain, then surely any halfwit Taoiseach will threaten to open talks on an Irexit. And hey presto we will have our bilateral border agreement, which we sort of do anyway since neither of us joined Schengen.
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on February 22, 2016, 01:29:23 PM
Quote from: deiseach on February 22, 2016, 11:09:57 AM
Good ol' BoJo, he declares for Brexit and sterling takes a hammering. Might book my summer holidays now!

Its amusing how all of a sudden people have taken Boris seriously!?

Good article here tracing Louise Mensch's journey from seeing Boris as someone who would split the Tory party to being a future Prime Minister.

deiseach

Quote from: Hound on February 22, 2016, 01:06:06 PM
Not sure that's true. It would be difficult and expensive to keep them out.
Not allowing them to work or to claim any benefits will be the deterrant.

How would that put off those who operate in the black economy? McAlpine would still have had his Fusiliers if work permits or access to benefits had been withdrawn? Besides, the Outers would relish the difficult and expensive part.

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on February 22, 2016, 01:39:52 PM
If there is a Brexit and somehow the EU insists that Ireland, an island, can't have a bilateral border agreement with Britain, then surely any halfwit Taoiseach will threaten to open talks on an Irexit. And hey presto we will have our bilateral border agreement, which we sort of do anyway since neither of us joined Schengen.

Exactly. Whatever about the theory the EU will not insist on Schengen in practice. especially as the challenges of Schengen have become more evident in recent times.

deiseach

For me, the issue over freedom of movement isn't with the EU. There are enough Norwegians and Swiss around to show that being outside the EU doesn't mean you are locked out of Fortress Europe. I have no doubt the willingness is there in the EU to trash out a free movement policy with the UK in a post-Brexit world. The problem is with British policy. The Tories want to reduce the number of net migrants to 'tens of thousands'. This is pie-in-the-sky while they are in the EU. It is still improbable if they had complete control of their borders, but there would be no limit to the tools that could be deployed to achieve such a limit if the will was there, and it would be there.

deiseach

Here's one to get the goat of the Outers:

QuoteWho will be able to vote?

British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens over 18 who are resident in the UK, along with UK nationals who have lived overseas for less than 15 years. Members of the House of Lords and Commonwealth citizens in Gibraltar will also be eligible, unlike in a general election. Citizens from EU countries - apart from Ireland, Malta and Cyprus - will not get a vote.

This despite the fact that UK citizens living in Ireland are not entitled to vote in our referendums. Send 'em all back that's what I say they're taking all the jobs except for that Terry Wogan he's all right is Tel...

seafoid

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 22, 2016, 11:56:21 AM
Quote from: Hereiam on February 22, 2016, 11:51:32 AM
I would assume so GJL. Why else would the DUP be supporting an exit.
What exactly I the DUP rationale for supporting a Brexit?

(I know, i know DUP & rationale in the one sentence  :-\)
the DUP think money comes from heaven. They are absolutely useless.

imtommygunn

Sf are voting the other way. Honestly the sad thing is i think that is enough.

I think they might get more power with no eu. Not a good prospect.

armaghniac

Do many of you have the ex-pat UK vote, as such can vote in this election?

seafoid

FT

https://next.ft.com/content/07803bda-d893-11e5-98fd-06d75973fe09

Not for the first time in his career, Mr Cameron has recovered from a slow start. He can expect further support this week when half of the FTSE 100 companies, including major multinationals such as BT, Shell and Vodafone, will argue strongly that British jobs and investment depend on membership of the EU. The case for a confident, open, engaged, pro-European Great Britain is waiting to be made. It cannot be allowed to go by default.