What are the day to day signs of Britishness for nationalists in NI ?

Started by seafoid, February 20, 2016, 02:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: MoChara on February 22, 2016, 12:51:11 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 22, 2016, 12:28:55 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on February 22, 2016, 07:25:42 AM
In 1998 the British,for the first time ever,got free consent from All Ireland,that they should govern the North.Hence sovereignty was ceded,in the name of peace,or in other words surrendered.

And this symbolic act gained them what exactly?

The only real concession of value (i.e. one which might actually change anything) was of their own sovereignty in the event of a poll. But then people like you would vote to stay in the Union anyway so what are you constantly moaning about?

They already had the poll organised since the 20s with the gerrymandered north, what they gained was not having to be internationally embarrassed by one of their  supposedly home countries.

Ah yes I remember now, remember when Thatcher was so 'internationally embarrassed' about this that she.............eh......

....eh.....

MWWSI 2017

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Íseal agus crua isteach a on February 21, 2016, 12:52:16 PM

That must be at least 2 years old.  The last couple of seasons Banner lads have the jersey put away before the marching season starts.

/Jim.

T Fearon

The core point about the GFA is that British rule in N Ireland was endorsed by Irish nationalists North and South

imtommygunn

The real core point or your core point?

The core point was that it was a chance for peace.

T Fearon

But what a price.Surrendering national sovereignty to Britain

michaelg

Quote from: T Fearon on February 22, 2016, 07:13:46 PM
But what a price.Surrendering national sovereignty to Britain
You prefer people had been continued to be murdered every day?

T Fearon

No.I am making the point that the price for peace was heavy,akin to the British surrendering to Nazism to avoid war

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on February 22, 2016, 07:36:22 PM
No.I am making the point that the price for peace was heavy,akin to the British surrendering to Nazism to avoid war

The British and Irish Government both decided to leave it to the people. The 'price' for this was peace.

MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

Quote from: muppet on February 22, 2016, 07:37:58 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on February 22, 2016, 07:36:22 PM

The British and Irish Government both decided to leave it to the people. The 'price' for this was peace.

Peace or nazism - so easy to get mixed up ;D

T Fearon

The core point is,egged on by their political representatives,Irish nationalism endorsed British rule in the North East of Ireland.In the light of this,complaints about British symbolism there or aspiring towards a Unitec Ireland is illogical to say the very least

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on February 22, 2016, 08:07:47 PM
The core point is,egged on by their political representatives,Irish nationalism endorsed British rule in the North East of Ireland.In the light of this,complaints about British symbolism there or aspiring towards a Unitec Ireland is illogical to say the very least

Tony, you are simply looking for someone to blame for you becoming a Unionist. Obviously it couldn't be your own fault, so Irish people, Free Staters, politicians etc are all to blame.
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

Quote from: T Fearon on February 22, 2016, 08:07:47 PM

You seem to have missed the point of it entirely if that is what you deem is the core point.

As you are onoy recently turned unionist i trust you voted no?

T Fearon

I am not a unionist,but am compelled to live under British rule,as there is no alternative,and the Dublin government doesn't want me.

armaghniac

The amount of British shite in some of the shops is ridiculous, when you are in green Ireland why the feck would you want to promote having brought agricultural products from smoke stained Britain.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B