Armagh v Fermanagh

Started by illdecide, February 19, 2016, 09:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Best point of the game to win it. Armagh not great but deserved 2 points from the last game and this one, although both might have been draws.

Armagh really struggle against a packed defence though.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

balladmaker

Armagh deserved the win, lost count of the times they should have had frees and didn't, ref was very poor.  Step forth a Clans man to save the day, been a while since that happened.

T Fearon

Two very poor teams producing a very poor game refereed very poorly by a very poor referee.Last year's encounters  between these two in Division 3 had more quality.

FermGael

Home now and have to say I am a bit disappointed with that result
The game was there to be won in the last 20 but we made some very poor decisions which cost us the 2 points.
Giving Armagh a 5 point lead was also a poor idea.
We just didn't start in the first 20 minutes although Armagh first point from a free for picking up the ball from he ground has to be one of the worst decisions by a referee I can ever remember.
Armagh can have no complaints about the 2 black cards given either.
After that first 20 minutes we totally dominated the midfield. Armagh were very poor in this sector and Eoin Donnelly really dominated the Fermanagh and Armagh kickouts.
Quigley played deeper and did a lot of selfless work leaving space for the two corrigans. Aidan Breen also played very well at whb and kicked a nice few points.
When we moved the ball quickly and at pace we were hard to stop.

The Armagh tacking was very poor throughout the game and Fermanagh were very niave for Armaghs winner but it was a fine score.

Massive game for us next week against Laois at home and very much 2 points dropped.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

T Fearon

Referee was that bad I doubt even Fr Brian D'Arcy would officiate at his funeral😂

Orior

Very disappointed with Armagh. McGeeny's tactics were to play the simple ball, which meant sideways. I thought it was gonna be another one of those nights when we missed a simple free after about 10 mins or so.

Kick-outs were just too slow. And when the ball did come out the Fermanagh number 8 lorded the midfield - surely we must have someone in the county who can actually catch the ball and run for 70 minutes?

Tony Kernan must have had a rush of blood to the head - after loosing the ball he stuck out his foot in frustration.

On the bright side, Andy Mallon, Mark Shields, Charlie Vernon and obviously Soupy Campbell were all good.

Despite all the other Armagh men around me I thought that the referee did well considering all that was happening. For example there was no need for McKeever to get involved after the final whistle.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

naka

Fermgael it was a lift ball  for armaghs first free
It was right in front of me

FermGael

I checked the TV replay.
It wasn't. Clearly bounced

I also thought eoin donnelly was fouled when he was disposed for the Armagh goal but wasn't sure.
He had his arm pulled back me.
Reilly gifted Armagh 1-1

FermGael

I agree about Mckeever .
Had no business getting involved. 

Gaffer

Quote from: T Fearon on February 27, 2016, 10:45:49 PM
Referee was that bad I doubt even Fr Brian D'Arcy would officiate at his funeral😂

Probably a 'close friend'
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Aaron Boone

I thought the game was won on the sidelines. The right man making the judgement call.

McGeeney for me now has the foundation to push on for trophies.

Throw ball

Fermgael I will have to disagree with you on the 2 black cards. The Tony Kernan one was I assume given for a trip. From my view he lost the ball and then tried to kick it tripping Quigley in the process. I am not convinced it was a deliberate trip which it needs to be to be black. In the end only Kernan knows the answer to that. From what I saw on the second black card the Fermanagh no. 4 and Watters were at the usual macho crap and as the Fermanagh player ran Watters pulled him back. Cynical? Quite probably. However, it did not use a deliberate pull down motion nor did I see a deliberate body collide. For me it was a yellow card going by the rules as they stand.

On the other hand I do not know how Forker did not get booked in the second half for what looked like black card offences. Quigley was also lucky not to see red red for striking just before half time.

I would also agree with Quigley's tweet after the game. Considering what the Grugan family are going through at the minute the football is really put into perspective.

T Fearon

None of the new players are making any impression for Armagh.

Throw ball

Reflecting on the match I thought how I feel Cormac Reilly is normally one of the better referees. However, media coverage of the match will probably highlight 'unsavoury incidents' that took place. Now neither team can feel proud of their part but personally I feel that Reilly needs to explain to players before the game how he is going to referee the blanket tackle. There were numerous incidents last night were he gave decisions one way and then when a similar incident happened shortly after he gave it another way. This led to frustration among the players and more confrontation. I know at this time of the year the heavy pitches lead to more such incidents but it is unsightly. Blowing the whistle a bit earlier might calm things down a bit.

Orior

Did some of the Armagh players change their studs at half time?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians