Spot on analysis of the feeble state of Northern nationalism currently

Started by T Fearon, February 09, 2016, 10:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

All the parties to the GFA agreed that the 6 Cos would remain under Brit rule till a majority in the 6 Cos voted otherwise.
That includes Sinn Féin.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

general_lee

http://m.rte.ie/news/election-2016/2016/0209/766674-sinn-fein-united-ireland/

Interesting proposals from SF. Can't imagine the Unionists being in favour but apparently it was promised under the gfa.

There was a very good article by Brian Feeney about bringing about some harmonisation between the two health services on this island... obviously efficiency makes sense in the first instance, but would unionists (and Tony) be willing to compromise on their northern Irishness in order to try and save lives?

Feckitt

Quote from: general_lee on February 10, 2016, 11:36:02 PM

Interesting proposals from SF. Can't imagine the Unionists being in favour but apparently it was promised under the gfa.

There was a very good article by Brian Feeney about bringing about some harmonisation between the two health services on this island... obviously efficiency makes sense in the first instance, but would unionists (and Tony) be willing to compromise on their northern Irishness in order to try and save lives?

Some great points in that article.  A step up needs to be taken to try and push more meaningful cross border co-operation.  I have always felt that SDLP MPs should stop going to Westminster and turn up at the Dail and demand speaking rights.  If Sinn Fein did it the pro-partition media (all media) would demonise them, but if the SDLP grew balls and did it, then I think it would be really something. 
Also the gloves need to come off about the refusal to give Irish citizens in the North a vote in the Irish Presidential Election, there is no reason why this could not happen.
The pro-partition parties need to be challenged constantly on this.

seafoid

Quote from: Feckitt on February 11, 2016, 07:59:46 AM
Quote from: general_lee on February 10, 2016, 11:36:02 PM

Some great points in that article.  A step up needs to be taken to try and push more meaningful cross border co-operation.  I have always felt that SDLP MPs should stop going to Westminster and turn up at the Dail and demand speaking rights.  If Sinn Fein did it the pro-partition media (all media) would demonise them, but if the SDLP grew balls and did it, then I think it would be really something. 
Also the gloves need to come off about the refusal to give Irish citizens in the North a vote in the Irish Presidential Election, there is no reason why this could not happen.
The pro-partition parties need to be challenged constantly on this.
Good points. Esp on the presidential election. If we can have a northern president...

T Fearon

Northerners can't vote in Presidential election due to the Dublin government's desire to keep them at arms length and to not in any way allow them to delude themselves that they are seen in Dublin as anything other than different.This is precisely the point Im making about the lack of desire for unity in the South.

Rossfan

Also should be 2 Seanad seats for the 6 Cos ( plus some for Irish citizens abroad).
What ever happened to all the plans to reform the Seanad seeing as "we" refused to abolish it?!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

As for health service,and cross border co operation,my late brother received treatment in and in fact died in a well known Dublin Hospital 20 years ago, more than three years before the Good Friday Agreement.

So Mr Feeney might acquaint himself with the facts before writing crap.There has always been cross border co operation in the Health Service

AZOffaly

Quote from: T Fearon on February 10, 2016, 11:23:35 PM
Does the abolition of Articles 2 and 3,endorsed by 90% of the Southern electorate not effectively mean that they agree that Britain should govern the 6 Northern counties,which in turn means they agree that Dublin shouldn't govern the six northern counties?

In the talks leading up to the Good Friday Agreement was the option of a United Ireland even mentioned never mind discussed?

Why did a former Taoiseach addressing a largely nationalist audience in Newry recently describe himself and his part of the island as a good neighbour?

In short what is the point hankering after unity with a part of the island that doesn't want a unified island,can't afford a unified island, and has shafted northern nationalists continually since 1921?

No it doesn't, for fucks sake. It means they want a United Ireland when the PEOPLE of both jurisdictions want it. The Articles 2 & 3 are still there, as follows.

Substitution of new Articles 2 and 3[edit]
2. It is the entitlement and birthright of every person born in the island of Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, to be part of the Irish nation. That is also the entitlement of all persons otherwise qualified in accordance with law to be citizens of Ireland. Furthermore, the Irish nation cherishes its special affinity with people of Irish ancestry living abroad who share its cultural identity and heritage.
3.1. It is the firm will of the Irish nation, in harmony and friendship, to unite all the people who share the territory of the island of Ireland, in all the diversity of their identities and traditions, recognising that a united Ireland shall be brought about only by peaceful means with the consent of a majority of the people, democratically expressed, in both jurisdictions in the island. Until then, the laws enacted by the Parliament established by this Constitution shall have the like area and extent of application as the laws enacted by the Parliament that existed immediately before the coming into operation of this Constitution.
3.2. Institutions with executive powers and functions that are shared between those jurisdictions may be established by their respective responsible authorities for stated purposes and may exercise powers and functions in respect of all or any part of the island.

T Fearon

That is ceding a portion of previously constitutional sovereign territory and a massive climbdown from the original wording, and is effectively acknowledging the legitimacy of British Rule in the North, not to mention a redrawing of the political map of the island of Ireland.

Feckitt

Quote from: T Fearon on February 11, 2016, 03:42:46 PM
That is ceding a portion of previously constitutional sovereign territory and a massive climbdown from the original wording, and is effectively acknowledging the legitimacy of British Rule in the North, not to mention a redrawing of the political map of the island of Ireland.

Sure what do you care.  Tony Fearon, Gerry UTV Kelly, Frank Mitchell, Rory McIlroy all the other uncle Toms love Northern Ireland just as it is.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on February 11, 2016, 03:42:46 PM
I don't think it is. It is saying that NI is A intersection B and that a majority is needed to change the status. Long term, NI is going to become part of Ireland politically. Northerners are as pasty and as sloppy as people in the South !

T Fearon

I hate the North of Ireland as it is. Two deluded blocs full of bile and hatred for each other (and among each other in a lot of cases) agitating for the elusive pipe dreams "Ulster is British" versus "Ulster is Irish" when the reality is neither the British Government nor Irish Government wants us or understands us.

If I loved things the way they are I would have  continued with my stale way of thinking, but there is a better way, and that is forging a common identity in this small part of the island which is different culturally to the UK and the rest of Ireland.

I want to see the demise of obsolete unionism and nationalism

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on February 11, 2016, 04:00:58 PM
I hate the North of Ireland as it is. Two deluded blocs full of bile and hatred for each other (and among each other in a lot of cases) agitating for the elusive pipe dreams "Ulster is British" versus "Ulster is Irish" when the reality is neither the British Government nor Irish Government wants us or understands us.

If I loved things the way they are I would have  continued with my stale way of thinking, but there is a better way, and that is forging a common identity in this small part of the island which is different culturally to the UK and the rest of Ireland.

I want to see the demise of obsolete unionism and nationalism

Some of us do not wish to be different from the rest of Ireland, why should we?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on February 11, 2016, 05:55:26 PM
You are.You are filed under Foreign Affairs in Dublin.

I should hope so, if I ever lose my passport I expect them to issue me with a replacement.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B